Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering and Throttle Feel

Hi Crew, 

I'm buying my first boat, a 1999 Sunsetter LXI this weekend! I test drove it on the water, engine sounded great. I do have questions about the steering and throttle. Both were very responsive, with very little resistance. Is it too smooth? Can they be tightened, or should they feel that way? I have to keep my hands on the wheel and throttle, they don't stay where you leave them. 

I'm used to driving runabouts with much stiffer steering and and throttles that stay relatively in place. 

Thanks for the advice!

The steering should be smooth, the throttle should stay in place.  As I recall there was some sort of friction kit for the old Morse throttles that you could add after they started getting sloppy

The rudder on a ski boat is typically tuned so that it turns to the right a little with your hands off the wheel.  That preload makes it easier to make the boat go perfectly straight than if the rudder was neutral.

Edited by oldjeep

Throttle should stay in place - i have the same boat.   The steering might be a lot looser if the cable is fairly new and it will not stay in place if you let go.

If you can steer with a single finger, it means your cable is in great shape.

Is the throttle falling forward to WOT if you let it go?  Or is it snapping back to neutral?  You can put a clamp on the cable if you want to tighten it up but you don't want it too tight either.

19 hours ago, UWSkier said:

If you can steer with a single finger, it means your cable is in great shape.

Is the throttle falling forward to WOT if you let it go?  Or is it snapping back to neutral?  You can put a clamp on the cable if you want to tighten it up but you don't want it too tight either.

I believe it was going back to neutral. 

If you've only pushed the throttle forward a bit and let go, it will spring back to neutral.  That's normal as there's a spring mechanism in the throttle assembly to allow control of throttle and shift with a single lever.  Once you're past a certain point, it should stay in forward gear without springing back to idle.  If it returns to idle from cruising speed, then you have a really strong throttle return spring and could use a cable brake.

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

If you've only pushed the throttle forward a bit and let go, it will spring back to neutral.  That's normal as there's a spring mechanism in the throttle assembly to allow control of throttle and shift with a single lever.  Once you're past a certain point, it should stay in forward gear without springing back to idle.  If it returns to idle from cruising speed, then you have a really strong throttle return spring and could use a cable brake.

Great, thanks for the input!

You can dial out or in some steering load by filling on the rudder. It can add or take away the pull to one side if needed to suit your needs. My Vlx is very neutral since it’s used by the family for lots of things. I notice though that my son free slaloming or wakeboarding can pull the boat and I have to go left and right steering to try to keep boat straight. On the throttle, I added a clamp and metal piece around the cable so can go surf speeds without having to keep a bias on the throttle. Otherwise it will snap back to idle.