Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Reg Decals

redsoxfan84

I just moved from TX to UT and I just registered my boat here. I am wondering if there are recommendations from everyone on the best place to order decals online. My dealer ordered them for me in TX and when I do a general google search there are dozens of choices to pick from. Sorry for what is likely a lame question but I figured this group would have a recommendation if there is somewhere that all the dealers go to buy reg decals.

Also, any recommendations of how to take the current one's off? 

Just curious, what makes them so good? There price is coming out to $70 when it seems like there are other options online for $30-$40. Not a big deal but I am just wondering if anyone can speak to why I should pay more for them?

On 5/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, Kojak said:

+1,111,111 for Domed Numbers.  They have done all of my registration numbers and the graphics when I redid them on my previous Malibu.

:plus1:

Not only are they domed - they match the font and colors.  $120k boat, don't cut the corner with pontoon registration numbers. 

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 3

Good points here. This is actually super helpful. Even though it seemed like a dumb question I would have gone with a cheaper solution and not found something custom fit for my boat. Thanks to everyone who replied!

1 hour ago, redsoxfan84 said:

Good points here. This is actually super helpful. Even though it seemed like a dumb question I would have gone with a cheaper solution and not found something custom fit for my boat. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Here is a close up of them, i happen to have them sitting in my desk waiting to go on our 2019....just so you can see the detail (i hope)

20200513_174430.thumb.jpg.c117814aa8a244e7f53c04091b6d4b95.jpg

• Like 1

Just a note - I LOVE my Domed Numbers, and they are a great company to work with....keep in mind that with some of the fonts available you can get into a situation where some letters don't look incredibly clear.  Not anything to do with the company or anything other than the font Malibu chose, they didnt' have to worry about whether your "e" looks like a "c" (just an example), but lake patrol will be very interested in making sure they can tell what your letters are!

edit: if you hit the old letters just a little with a heat gun, that will help the glue stick to the letters more than the boat.

Edited by REHinH20
3 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

Just a note - I LOVE my Domed Numbers, and they are a great company to work with....keep in mind that with some of the fonts available you can get into a situation where some letters don't look incredibly clear.  Not anything to do with the company or anything other than the font Malibu chose, they didnt' have to worry about whether your "e" looks like a "c" (just an example), but lake patrol will be very interested in making sure they can tell what your letters are!

Agreed on my Reg numbers the font for the J was way taller than the other letters which meant it didn't fit. They were able to resize it and sent me a new letter no charge.

Kojak's 2015 numbers above show what I'm talking about.  the letter after the K might not fly with the lake patrol around here.  Since he's in Kansas, and it's on the state letters, I'm sure it's not an issue, but if that was one of the ending letters it might look a little too much like an O or D...

• 6 months later...

Hello Crew - thanks for the information on this.  I have a 2011 23LSV and going to remove the factory Wakesetter decals as they were damaged previously.  Looking at Kojak's pictures above, we are considering putting the newer style graphics (like his purple 2015) on my older style boat (like his 2006).

Has anyone done this?  How does it look?

My only concern is that there may be some "ghosting" from the old letters that can't be buffed/cleaned up and the new graphics are completely different size and style so they won't cover it up.  Has anyone had great success on an older boat with removing all of the ghosting or had issues with not being able to remove all of it?

On 5/13/2020 at 9:27 AM, redsoxfan84 said:

I just moved from TX to UT and I just registered my boat here. I am wondering if there are recommendations from everyone on the best place to order decals online. My dealer ordered them for me in TX and when I do a general google search there are dozens of choices to pick from. Sorry for what is likely a lame question but I figured this group would have a recommendation if there is somewhere that all the dealers go to buy reg decals.

Also, any recommendations of how to take the current one's off? 

welcome to utah,  the busiest lake in the united states

but seriously ever want to get out hit me up  we start boating in april

The ghosting is easily taken care of by buffing or in more extreme circumstances, wet sanding.  When I redid the graphics on my 06, I was able to remove the ghosting by lots and lots of buffing.  Even if there is some ghosting left, your eye is normally drawn to the graphics  and not the ghosting.  

43 minutes ago, Kojak said:

The ghosting is easily taken care of by buffing or in more extreme circumstances, wet sanding.  When I redid the graphics on my 06, I was able to remove the ghosting by lots and lots of buffing.  Even if there is some ghosting left, your eye is normally drawn to the graphics  and not the ghosting.  

*I* am the only one who sees the imperfections on my boat.  I have CDO,  like OCD, only the letters are in the correct order.  LOL

• Like 2