Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Subwoofer False Wall

Brandonloos21

Trying to see what everyone else has done on their boat with the carpeted subwoofer wall. I am going to be building a box and putting it under the helm, and I would like to remove the carpeted wall, and replace it with something black and shiny, either fiberglass, HDPE, starboard, I’m not really sure what my options are. I’m going to cut a square hole in it and put my axis faceplate that I ordered over it so that it looks like the malibu factory setup. What did all you guys use to build yours and how did you manage to do it!? Thanks. First pic is how my helm looks with the carpet wall, second pic is how I’d like for mine to look like with the faceplate I have  AALlUI1.jpg
rCKV0Cc.jpg

I used 1/2" EPVC (would use 3/4" if i could go back and start over) to rebuild the panels as well as the box itself.  then i had Gatorstep make me a piece to cover it.

IMG_4044.jpeg

3 hours ago, Texan32 said:

I used 1/2" EPVC (would use 3/4" if i could go back and start over) to rebuild the panels as well as the box itself.  then i had Gatorstep make me a piece to cover it.

IMG_4044.jpeg

Looks nice Man! So you just made the identical piece to what was in there before?

4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

IMG_4044.jpeg

Got any schematics on this build? Curious how you attached the box to the boat? Is the faceplate the only thing attached to the boat?

Thanks for the comment!  Yes, i took measurements of the original piece and copied it to the new board.  It attaches with 4 screws (2 in the fiberglass on the left and 2 into the black body panel on the right.  I was able to position the box itself in a way that it just barely touches the floor of the boat.  This helps keep weight off the face itself.  The box itself is pretty small, but thats only because the sub is meant for small enclosures.  If you want to build a box, i HIGHLY recommend you make a cardboard template first.  That face plate has a top-rearward slope.....my box sitting on the floor was pure dumb luck!  The box was built with the same EPVC and attached with silicone and SS #6 screws.  I also was able to add an LED strip inside the box so when my under seat lights are on, the port glows.

For the Gatorstep, was a pretty easy process.  They sent the sheet of plastic.  I made a template and mailed that to them.  They sent a paper template back.  I made some minor changed (added a little extra clearances to the edges).  They delivered the final product!  I could have added some designs to the piece.  They even asked if i was sure i wanted it plain  But, i didnt have the paitence to try lining everything up to get the lines from the flooring perfect.  I would rather it be plain than be off by a 1/4" and see it every....single....time.  Besides, it looks like a bunch of blank space.  But the reality is, you dont even notice it in the boat.  The dash/helm "hides" most of the area above the top of the sub.  Im super happy with how the whole thing turned out!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Thanks for the comment!  Yes, i took measurements of the original piece and copied it to the new board.  It attaches with 4 screws (2 in the fiberglass on the left and 2 into the black body panel on the right.  I was able to position the box itself in a way that it just barely touches the floor of the boat.  This helps keep weight off the face itself.  The box itself is pretty small, but thats only because the sub is meant for small enclosures.  If you want to build a box, i HIGHLY recommend you make a cardboard template first.  That face plate has a top-rearward slope.....my box sitting on the floor was pure dumb luck!  The box was built with the same EPVC and attached with silicone and SS #6 screws.  I also was able to add an LED strip inside the box so when my under seat lights are on, the port glows.

For the Gatorstep, was a pretty easy process.  They sent the sheet of plastic.  I made a template and mailed that to them.  They sent a paper template back.  I made some minor changed (added a little extra clearances to the edges).  They delivered the final product!  I could have added some designs to the piece.  They even asked if i was sure i wanted it plain  But, i didnt have the paitence to try lining everything up to get the lines from the flooring perfect.  I would rather it be plain than be off by a 1/4" and see it every....single....time.  Besides, it looks like a bunch of blank space.  But the reality is, you dont even notice it in the boat.  The dash/helm "hides" most of the area above the top of the sub.  Im super happy with how the whole thing turned out!

Awesome thanks, looks great man!