Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help .. which one to buy

Aussieluke

Help .. family looking at buying a wakesetter .. we have found two that we like  one is a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 21 VLX with no wedge details here a

2006 VLX with INDMAR 320 horse power LCR engine; 5.7 MPI EFI (21 foot) The boat runs extremely well, the entire boat has been re-upholstered and major new fit out in 2018. Entire new trim, new manifold and rises, new prop shaft and seals on last service. All new water ballast pumps fitted on last service. Fitted with ALKO air over hydraulic power assist trailer breaking system. And fitted with a new disc break axle (replaced original drum system) Key features; Illusion tower with Bimini Double wake board rack that fits 4 boards, along with a wake surf rack Fitted with dual batteries Brand new Fusion speaker’s, with axis bluetooth deck and a kicker base control for the subwoofer speaker Boat has 376 hours only since 2006 Fits 11 people

and the other is a 2007 Malibu VLX wakesetter with 550 hours on the clock, Malibu wake tower fitted with two tower speakers and Bimini, it’s advertised as a anniversary edition but doesn’t have the 383 engine 

question is my wife still waterskis ..which one is the best to ski behind ? Wedge or wedgeless one ?? Can it be done or the wakes too big ?

anyone water ski behind one ?? 

Help me please it’s doing my head in 

cheers Luke 

Edited by Aussieluke
Spelling
  • Like 1

The wake will be the same behind either boat. The wedge only effects the wave when it’s deployed. In the stowed setting... it’s out of the water. Define your “wife skis”. Does she slalom a course? The wave is a little bigger than a ski boat, but you can certainly ski behind a vlx, we do. I’d get the one that you think looks the best! They both sound nice.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Kels just learning . Well she’s been up on skis for 6 months , our old boat was a Lewis with a dead flat wake ..so we’re looking at something that does both , ski and wake but has a bit of size about it ..the wakesetter ticks the boxes but she’s worried that the wake 

For waterskiing, you would want a diamond hull vs the wake hull. That '06 has had a lot of work done; how many hours on the clock?  My daughter has an '06 with diamond hull and it skis o-k (not a Response by any means), but they've gone to the dark side (Wakesports) anyway... also, VLX's need wedges!  ...and personally (IMHO) I think the 320 is a bit underpowered.

That '07, 550 hrs is not alot; like anything, depends on how it's been cared for... and all '07s are anniversary editions (says so on the steering wheel), but.very few are the Silver Editions (with the 383 and specific silver/gray/black color scheme.

Bottom line, which does your wife like better??

She like the one with the wedge , as it’s got the fibreglass rear swim platform and lives way out in the middle of Australia , along way from any salt water .. most water  actually , and the one with all the work is in Sydney . So would have spent some time in salt and brackish water ways 

...furthermore, you can tune the wake for skiing with some ballast in the front tank and by moving passengers around (and wedge UP, of course).

I personally like the anniversary one with the wedge too .. thinking it’s the pick 👍.. the 07 model is a few grand cheaper too 

• Thanks 1