Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Inside Panels

uhlenkott

Has anyone removed their inside paneling to replace the vinyl outer layer? What bolts should I be looking for and where are they located? I also heard you should do this from the back to the front. Can someone confirm this? I am in the middle of a DIY inside renovation/restoration (cushions, siding)  of my 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX and know someone here has probably done the same thing! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

On my ‘10 and my ‘19 the back panel nuts have been 7/16”. Side panel studs have been generally located center mass and in the corners. You are going to have to go noodling for them to find them regardless. Be delicate when you stuff your hand back there or you will be pulling your hand out missing meat or stuck with fiberglass needles.

Edited by wdr

Along the floor it’s secured with screws, which will be embedded into the carpet (if your gunnels are carpeted in the bottom).
For the bolts, feel around behind and around everything. Wear gloves as @wdrsaid. My advice is to buy a ratcheting wrench. I think 7/16”.

keep removing the bolts, then feel around to where it might still be attached to find the next one.
I don’t remember back to front as a recommendation, but when I did mine that’s what I did. 
you might have some bolts turn and that’s a PITA unless you are willing to cut thru the vinyl to gat a hold of em. I had a couple and was able to just jerk the nut enough to slowly remove it.

It’s worth it once it’s done! 

Edited by braindamage
  • Like 2