Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked Rudder

Went to put the boat in last weekend and noticed this nice crack. I dropped the boat off at my marina and they are going to get it fixed up. 

Some quick searching of the forums here and it appears that this is one of those things that just happens. I haven't hit anything.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hope everyone's spring is off to a better start than mine!

72OwHZP.jpg

it's good you saw it now - that could have ended bad on the water.   I say the guy upstairs was watchin out for ya.

Edited by SkiPablo

Yeah, it’s crazy.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

That has to be some inherent casting flaw.

From what I’ve read in here, it sounds like it’s a problem from the casting. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:49 PM, formulaben said:

I would reach to to Marine Hardware and see what they have to say.  Can't hurt to see if they'll warranty or subsidize a replacement?

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent them an email. You never know what’ll happen!

• Like 2

Yikes. Good news is, it’s a pretty easy exchange. As long as you have the room between the trailer guard to get it out. Mine had like a 16th of an inch to spare...I got lucky. I’ve seen Pictures of guys on here use a car jack to get a little extra clearance. Kinda risky if you ask me.

10 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Yikes. Good news is, it’s a pretty easy exchange. As long as you have the room between the trailer guard to get it out. Mine had like a 16th of an inch to spare...I got lucky. I’ve seen Pictures of guys on here use a car jack to get a little extra clearance. Kinda risky if you ask me.

If you unbolt the rudder housing and push the whole assembly out of the hull you should have enough room to swing the whole assembly left or right past the prop guard. To reassemble it, pushed the whole assembly back into the boat, shimmed between the rudder and prop guard to hold everything steady. Then I slathered on the 5200 and bolted the rudder housing back into the boat with the rudder still shimmed sitting on the prop guard. Easy job except getting the rudder housing out of the hull. That 5200 is stout.

7952E27B-0E7C-41F8-AC98-EAB3A62255E0.jpeg

@WABOBO - am I correct that it looks like the leading edge has been ground?  Surprising give that I believe has the adjustable rudder tab, is that correct?  
That crack is interesting, glad you caught it before a more significant failure event.

@Woodski Yes, the rudder has the adjustable tab. If I understand what you are saying (the “missing corner” on the top right, I don’t think the edge has been ground. I’m 99% sure it was cast that way.

I picked up the boat last night and it’s all fixed up. Little annoyed that the whole piece didn’t get polished though. I really want to polish everything underneath now.

Out of curiosity, does the acid/hull wash solution eat away at the brass parts? Or does it just tarnish the finish? It looks like there is some pretty good pitting/scaling on the unfinished part. 

C0vwZKH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by WABOBO