Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

4 pin connector labeled "Gray Hill"

JeffK

12 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I found a 4 pin connector up under the helm labeled gray hill.  Anyone have any idea what this is for?  Kinda curious.....

Maybe the guy who built the harness ;)

2 hours ago, COOP said:

Do you have the sport knob? Gray Hill is the manufacture of the sport knob. They make a bunch of different can-bus switchs and rotary knobs.

http://www.grayhill.com/assets/1/7/VDC_datasheet.pdf

I do have the sport knob installed. The plug has four leads. Purple, white and blue for sure. I’ll have to crawl up underneath again to look. It is switched to the master power switch and I wanted to use the purple power lead to power up the ez thruster. I’ve got both cameras so couldn’t pull power from there. 

You should have an ignition wire behind the panel when you swap out the throttle.  No need to go under the helm I think.  I didn't tie into on my install cause my throttle wasn't prepped for that so my is just always hot.  

7 hours ago, djheywood said:

You should have an ignition wire behind the panel when you swap out the throttle.  No need to go under the helm I think.  I didn't tie into on my install cause my throttle wasn't prepped for that so my is just always hot.  

I didn't remember seeing one, but I can pull it back out and look again.  I don't like the idea of a current draw so I'll probably finish it out.  

37 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It is there to plug in the optional steering wheel controls.

That makes sense.  I do not have the steering wheel controls.  If I can't find the wire behind the throttle control, I'll just stick with plan A of using the hot lead on that plug.  I ordered a 4 pin plug that matches and will just pull from that single hot lead.  

Thanks for the info everyone!!!

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I haven't been schooled on the CanBus system but I wouldn't think you should use those wires for anything not designed to be on the CanBus system.

It has been a while since I've worked on them, but there should be a hot, wire along with a couple signal wires.  Would you be concerned just pulling the switched hot?  

I don't know that much about CanBus. I had to use one of the CanBus plugs to wire up my RGB project last year on my '19 to have factory control but I needed all 4 wires in the plug. You may be OK with using the hot wire there. With the CanBus controling so many things in the boat. i would look for a different + source.

8 hours ago, djheywood said:

Can you elaborate on this?  Where did you pull it from?  

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't know that much about CanBus. I had to use one of the CanBus plugs to wire up my RGB project last year on my '19 to have factory control but I needed all 4 wires in the plug. You may be OK with using the hot wire there. With the CanBus controling so many things in the boat. i would look for a different + source.

Thanks!  I'll keep looking around for another source.

• 2 months later...

Can't you pull it from the disconnect tether you are supposed to wear.  That's the wires I was thinking of.  Easily accessible if you remove the throttle.  I have no idea if this is switched but I assumed it would be

On 5/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, JeffK said:

I found a 4 pin connector up under the helm labeled gray hill.  Anyone have any idea what this is for?  Kinda curious.....

A picture is worth a thousand words... There is an OBD-M plug behind the dash, you can read about what I did with it here (and I have pictures):
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/