Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any advice for a LONG road trip with the boat?

jmack

11 hours ago, MLBurns said:

1/2" electric impact and a hammer/mallet. I have blown a rear tire on the boat trailer and it will roll the fender up with it. Takes a hammer to beat it back down to put the spare on. Impact just make the tire swap so much easier and faster.

Yes! I've got a deadblow hammer in my list of tools and I'll be carrying a rechargeable impact gun as well.

Plenty of good advice here. You should be covered.
Maybe get one of these plastic trailer changing ramps.
Makes changing the tire so much easier!
Google “Trailer Aid Tandem Trailer Changing Ramp”.

I would get some stretch wrap (~$30 from Lowes) and wrap around and below the rubrail of the boat where the cover could leave rub marks. (And maybe the windshield frame as well).

Have fun!

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

If you blow a hub you’ll be out of commission for a long long time. The trailers aren’t easy to fix, unfortunately. I’ve seen two relatively new Malibu trailers fail recently and both owners were without the trailer for months.  

I recommend torquing your lug nuts before leaving. Then again before four return. Also, some of us have started traveling with these just to check hub temps at each stop...

Kizen LaserPro LP300 Infrared Thermometer Non-Contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun with LCD Display -58℉~1112℉(-50℃~600℃) Adjustable Emissivity (NOT FOR HUMANS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSHR9M6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZRIUEbTEQ5YDW

What's the hold up on the repairs that you've seen? Is it parts, or something else? I've got a spare spindle and hub with the trailer. Obviously things can be damaged and require major work, but it doesn't look like a huge job to swap a spindle.

Good call on the infrared thermometer. I've got one that I'll throw in my bag.

3 minutes ago, jmack said:

What's the hold up on the repairs that you've seen? Is it parts, or something else? I've got a spare spindle and hub with the trailer. Obviously things can be damaged and require major work, but it doesn't look like a huge job to swap a spindle.

Good call on the infrared thermometer. I've got one that I'll throw in my bag.

If you can do the work yourself, no hold up. 

The two cases I’ve seen the issue was finding the right shop or dealer, then it was parts (including a new wheel, breaks, etc). 

Edited by IXFE
6 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

I would get some stretch wrap (~$30 from Lowes) and wrap around and below the rubrail of the boat where the cover could leave rub marks. (And maybe the windshield frame as well).

I like this idea!

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

If you blow a hub you’ll be out of commission for a long long time. The trailers aren’t easy to fix, unfortunately. I’ve seen two relatively new Malibu trailers fail recently and both owners were without the trailer for months.  

I recommend torquing your lug nuts before leaving. Then again before four return. Also, some of us have started traveling with these just to check hub temps at each stop...

Kizen LaserPro LP300 Infrared Thermometer Non-Contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun with LCD Display -58℉~1112℉(-50℃~600℃) Adjustable Emissivity (NOT FOR HUMANS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSHR9M6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZRIUEbTEQ5YDW

That's good advise.  I have a habit of feeling the tires and hubs every time I stop when towing.  Warm is good, hot is not.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Stevo said:

Yeah but without disassembling the trailer looking for part numbers . I unfortunately can’t search by 2017 Malibu trailer and get a list of replacement parts like I can with a boat mate trailer. 

You asked about part numbers *or* retailers.  I answered the second.

As to the first, it is not at all unreasonable to remove a tire and inspect everything before the trip anyway, and a partial disassembly in your driveway will save you a lot of frustration on the side of the road trying to learn how it works and fits together.  All of these parts are standard, so once you take a look at the parts you will know what you have and what you need.

Maybe take photos and post them here....

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

💥 

3028B378-482B-4034-A562-BB48C5DCFD28.jpeg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jmack said:

What's the hold up on the repairs that you've seen? Is it parts, or something else? I've got a spare spindle and hub with the trailer. Obviously things can be damaged and require major work, but it doesn't look like a huge job to swap a spindle

The spindle is welded to the axle. A hub is easy. If you lose a spindle. (IE: spin a bearing). You need to cut it off and weld  on a new one, if you can get it straight, or wait for an axle, and hope they send the right axle. 

• Like 2

I simply wish you a great and successful trip. I'm jealous of what you are going to endeavor and want you to have no regrets about this awesome experience. I'm in Albuquerque and can't convince my wife (yet... :cry:) to haul from here, let alone that many miles! 

Good luck and have a wonderful vacation at an awesome place!  

P.S.: if you have any room left from all the extra trailer parts, make sure you pack an extra prop in case you hit a whale on Powell. Hate to have zero problems with the trailer only to skid across a boulder!  

2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

When you lose a tire and all just a spindle doesn’t work 5CF5C8C0-AA40-45B8-8084-B702674061A0.thumb.jpeg.96cad3cce736b047e10fa05f05da9142.jpeg

Hey mister, yer trailer's a' rubbin' tha ground.

10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

The spindle is welded to the axle. A hub is easy. If you lose a spindle. (IE: spin a bearing). You need to cut it off and weld  on a new one, if you can get it straight, or wait for an axle, and hope they send the right axle. 

My trailer has torsion suspension, so I can actually swap a spindle out on the road. 

Now, I realize there could be damage that’s beyond a roadside repair, but I’m trying to as prepared as possible. 

8 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

When you lose a tire and all just a spindle doesn’t work 5CF5C8C0-AA40-45B8-8084-B702674061A0.thumb.jpeg.96cad3cce736b047e10fa05f05da9142.jpeg

That makes me cringe......

Fingers crossed we avoid something like that. 

6 hours ago, NMMalibuFamily said:

I simply wish you a great and successful trip. I'm jealous of what you are going to endeavor and want you to have no regrets about this awesome experience. I'm in Albuquerque and can't convince my wife (yet... :cry:) to haul from here, let alone that many miles! 

Good luck and have a wonderful vacation at an awesome place!  

P.S.: if you have any room left from all the extra trailer parts, make sure you pack an extra prop in case you hit a whale on Powell. Hate to have zero problems with the trailer only to skid across a boulder!  

Thanks!

I’m taking a spare prop and tools to swap it. 👍🏼

On 5/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, Stevo said:

What trailer do you have? Boat mate?

we are making a 13hr drive to Powell in a few weeks. Not quite as long as yours but I’m also debating the trailer replacement parts (hub/bearing/spindle) , curious if anyone has part numbers or retailers to order from. 

Yes- my trailer is a Boat Mate. The trailer was built with a full torsion arm / spindle / hub assembly that the spare tire is mounted on. I’m the second owner, so I didn’t have it built that way, but it’s an awesome setup and glad the PO had it done. 

As a new member to this Forum but one who has been hauling trailers around the country for MANY years, a couple of feet of chain and a heavy clevis can come in real handy in the event you have something as drastic as a spindle problem.  Depending on the total load on the trailer, you can remove that one tire and jack up and chain the end of the bad axle to the frame and limp to the nearest town/repair shop and not have to leave the boat/trailer sitting on the side of the road.  Unfortunately I I learned this trick several years back and luckily have not had to repeat this move but it does work.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AlmostRetired said:

As a new member to this Forum but one who has been hauling trailers around the country for MANY years, a couple of feet of chain and a heavy clevis can come in real handy in the event you have something as drastic as a spindle problem.  Depending on the total load on the trailer, you can remove that one tire and jack up and chain the end of the bad axle to the frame and limp to the nearest town/repair shop and not have to leave the boat/trailer sitting on the side of the road.  Unfortunately I I learned this trick several years back and luckily have not had to repeat this move but it does work.

Yep - I've done it once before and will be prepared for this in case we need to get a short distance to a shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on the trailer aid mentioned above.  I had a brake fail on the highway and lock up.  Trying to get under the trailer with the jack was nearly impossible.  I bought the trailer aid right after. 

I would  also add a Thick roll up rug to lay on. I could not believe how much trash, glass and debris was along the side of the road where I had to stop. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, jmack said:

Agree on the bearings. I'll inspect them before we set out on the trip.

This is my first setup with oil bath bearings. What are everyone's thoughts on them? Reading some mixed reviews.....

I have oil bath and haven't has an issue other than a leaky seal. Make sure you have the correct oil type, mine was SAE50. I had to order it. I also have torque bits for the plugs. I would probably change the oil just so I know how to do it. I would also take a spare or 2, seals just in case. I use a ramp for my trailer so I don't have to use a jack (dual axle). Check your torque on the lugs nuts before you leave and during the drive. I would also change the brake fluid in the trailer just because it would make me fell better. 

Take an extra impeller for the boat. 

Also remember you can drive with a blown tire if you have a dual axle trailer. I would make sure the boat is fairly empty for the drive. Everything in the truck. 

If you have a Ford you'll need a list of all the dealerships along the interstate so you know where to go when it breaks down. 

• Haha 1
  • 8 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 10:43 AM, REHinH20 said:

1000%

Just used mine yesterday after a blowout....took all of about 10 minutes to change the tire.

Make sure trailer is level to pavement surface, torsion axles DO NOT load share. Axle on low end will carry more weight than high end axle on unlevel trailer. Infared pyrometer will show this real fast in summer heat on trailer tires.