Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 23' MXZ EZ Drive/Stern Turn Install Thread

djheywood

4 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I happen to see the plug yesterday when I was looking around.. sat there wondering what "grey hill" was!  But good to know it is switched power, I might grab a connector and do the same. Thanks

This is the one I ordered.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4FCQCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

Going to tag you in the thread.  I ended up using that 4 pin labeled gray hill

I'd put a relay on that. The gray hill connectors run canbus devices. I dont know what kind of current draw they are capable of.

Finished up my install today, turned out great.  I used the power and ground blocks by the motor. Switch is currently powered from the IBox which is on if the battery switch is on, but no power if the battery switch is off.  Might still switch it to an ignition/AUX +12v at some point but for now it was just easy to leave the wires as is.  My install was a little tricky because I have both a heater and the transom flush port and of course all the extra water lines end up right where I needed some space to work.  I went with the factory throttle w/ switch so I had to swap out the connector to the 3 pin one that Malibu uses.  Photos and details from the install along with videos once I get it in the water coming shortly.  Here is the wiring info if anyone else wants to go down this path:

The cable from the ibox has 4 wires in it that run to the throttle switch(with a square 4 pin connector.)

• Black = Ground (not used... I believe this would be used if you were powering a traditional thruster controller but not needed in this case.)
  • Blue = Starboard thrust solenoid
  • Grey = Port thrust solenoid
  • Red = + Voltage (this would normally be to power a control panel/switch.  If the ibox has power from the battery then this line is hot and the switch works.... I am guessing that is how Malibu has it wired. This is the same way Malibu has the Gx power tower and the power helm seat wired... if the battery switch is on then they are hot, no need to turn on the power button.   The thruster switch on the throttle is basically just closing the circuit between the +12 and the appropriate solenoid wire. So you just need to grab a switched 12v wire and connect it to the red wire if you want a thruster cut off switch or only want it power when the boat is on.

The cable from the 2020+ Malibu OEM throttle has 3 wires  and a 3pin Delphi Packard Weatherpack connector (I purchased one off of Amazon and used it on the wire coming from the iBox)  

• White = power in (the power that will be jumped via the switch)  This is where you would optimally want a power/ignition switched 12+ feed
  • brownish purplish grey? = Port Thurst
  • Aqua= Starboard Thrust

The connections between the factory OEM throttle and the wire coming from the ibox are:

ibox wire -> Malibu throttle switch cable

• Blue -> blue
  • purpleish/brownish/greyish -> grey
  • white -> Red (or sub red wire for whatever switched power source you want to use (AUX, etc.)

16 hours ago, COOP said:

I'd put a relay on that. The gray hill connectors run canbus devices. I dont know what kind of current draw they are capable of.

Ahhh...  Good idea.  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!  Is there an easier place to snag a switched 12v behind the throttle?  

Thanks again for the wiring description Greg.  I'll be swapping my EZ Drive Throttle for the factory version later this afternoon or tomorrow.  I'll take a few pics and post in case anyone is looking to do the same in the future.  The Malibu throttle sure does look better.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the EZ Drive throttle PM me.  I wont need it any more.

51 minutes ago, djheywood said:

Thanks again for the wiring description Greg.  I'll be swapping my EZ Drive Throttle for the factory version later this afternoon or tomorrow.  I'll take a few pics and post in case anyone is looking to do the same in the future.  The Malibu throttle sure does look better.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the EZ Drive throttle PM me.  I wont need it any more.

can you post a picture of the difference? i admist, not wild about the ezdrive throttle handle

On 7/23/2020 at 4:24 PM, COOP said:

Coop, where have you been getting 12v ignition power from for the ez drive throttle?

5 hours ago, asnowman said:

Thanks.  Its interesting, i really like the handle that was in our 2019.20191025_184042.thumb.jpg.06d932e89ec29db1d79e5e095d7a88b8.jpg

There is also a switched version of the handle. It shipped on the 24 MXZ and 25LSVs that has the jet bow thrusters. I am guessing it might be a rare part, but it is out there. I think i even have the part number somewhere.

57 minutes ago, COOP said:

From the power button, with a relay on it.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this adding a relay, and what type, and are you running it out of the fuse panel or the switch itself. This is the last thing i need to do to finish my install. I have never done an install of a relay before.