Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat - trouble getting cover on

gahvey

Probably a dumb question here, but are others finding it hard to put the cover on their boats with the G3.5 Tower?  We can get one of the tower legs wrapped up in the cover, but when we go to the other side we can only get the top and bottom of the velcro to connect.  The middle part seems like there isn't enough material there.  Are we missing something?  Any tricks to getting this on correctly?  It definitely fits tightly so maybe it just needs to stretch over time?

Thanks
Jeff

Not a dumb question. Lots of people have found the new covers to be a little challenging, especially when it's cold outside or they're brand new. For the G3.5, we've found that if you lift the cover up and secure the velcro while the cover is around the narrower part of the tower (not the widest part at the base) you can then pull it down around the base on both sides for a super snug fit. If I were at the boat, I'd post a video for you, but hopefully this explanation makes sense. 

Totally makes sense (and honestly we found out last night), but I didn't want to post in case it was totally in correct.

Thanks for clearing that up!

ahopkins22LSV

This is the method I always use. From inside the boat I leave it like this:

9B0BFBD4-7C8B-40E1-93B9-D4F6C9F697FE.thumb.jpeg.e5e94792aee67ca1232d45d60ebe5313.jpeg

Then after I get it all the way around the transom, I Velcro is from bottom to top no feel this gives me a better grip and angle to get the bottom aligned. Once the bottom is aligned it’s pretty much aligned all the way up. Then I snap the strap and tighten with the ratchets once both sides are done. 
CAF4602E-999B-4F53-83F3-034603C3EC37.thumb.jpeg.ffa1cc4d03294b5a67697c72f24b9b19.jpeg

Granted we trailer so it makes it easier, but even when we leave in the water, I follow the same basic method. Except don’t go around the transom before finishing around the tower.

good info, but unfortunately that doesn't work for us.  We are able to attach the top and the bottom, but not the middle.  We tried the put it on higher and pull down and that worked well.  Oh, and our cover is VERY tight around the transom...barely able to pull it over with my fingers between the cover and the boat.  Probably will stretch out a little over time.

Edited by gahvey
ahopkins22LSV

Are you using the bow pole? I’ve found I don’t need the bow pole on both the 19 and 20 vtx. It tents enough on its own. Also, I don’t pull the hangtyte tight until very last. I have the hooked to the tower but loose. 

1 hour ago, gahvey said:

good info, but unfortunately that doesn't work for us.  We are able to attach the top and the bottom, but not the middle.  We tried the put it on higher and pull down and that worked well.  Oh, and our cover is VERY tight around the transom...barely able to pull it over with my fingers between the cover and the boat.  Probably will stretch out a little over time.

Same with our 19!  No way are we able to get the cover pulled tight across that Velcro strip!  

11 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Are you using the bow pole? I’ve found I don’t need the bow pole on both the 19 and 20 vtx. It tents enough on its own. Also, I don’t pull the hangtyte tight until very last. I have the hooked to the tower but loose. 

We are using the bow pole and do not have the hangtyte pulled snug at this point.  I haven't tried it without the bow pole but I feel without it that the cover would sag too much...easy enough to try it though.

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, gahvey said:

We are using the bow pole and do not have the hangtyte pulled snug at this point.  I haven't tried it without the bow pole but I feel without it that the cover would sag too much...easy enough to try it though.

I’d give it a shot. You don’t need the cover to have a peak, just right and sloped. May very well be different from boat to boat though. 

Here is a pic of it right now (it is raining here so I can't try things out), but the bow should be on correctly.  We are taking it out tomorrow to complete the break in period so we will try those items next time.

WIN_20200517_07_40_22_Pro.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Here is a pic of it right now (it is raining here so I can't try things out), but the bow should be on correctly.  We are taking it out tomorrow to complete the break in period so we will try those items next time.

WIN_20200517_07_40_22_Pro.jpg

Maybe they are making the covers differently now - but consider bringing the cover up a bit closer to the rub rail on the bow and see if that gets you the slack you need

WP_20141025_003.jpg

ahopkins22LSV

@oldjeep, you won't be able to do that. That is how they wrap around the bow now.

@gahvey, that looks like it is around the tower pretty good. I'd definitely try without the bow pole though. Appears it will be OK. Are you using poles behind the windshield, or just the hangtyte? The poles for the cabin area in ours is right where the hangtyte is so I don't use those either.

Word or warning on the cover where it passes through the tower base and Velcro’s back on to itself. I had to trailer down to the dealer 2 times in a storm with the cover on. I can now see where the cover was starting to wear on the sharp edges of the base where the flap pulls over the base. I have since cut 2 pipe insulation pads that I place in there and then pull the cover flap over them to protect that area. Pool noodle pieces would work as well, just a little thicker is all.