Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does a Tower Increase Overall Value?

Venturabu

Being that I am the devious sort, I've decided the only way to get a tower for the 'bu at this time is if I can convince the wife that installing a tower increases the over all value of the boat above the actual tower cost.

I've checked various Boat Seller type mags out and this does indeed seem to be the case.

I was hoping to get corroboration from anyone that has installed one and then sold their boat. Did you realize a better return?

Logic say's yes but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has practical experience.

Heh, look at me. Trying to sound intelligent. :)

(never works with the wife by the way)

no experiance with selling a boat with tower, but my overall experiance is that you NEVER get out what you put in. Ex. putting a stereo in your car and then selling your car, stereo costs 1000 I might be able to increase the price of the car 500 max. This is must my opinion and sometimes things turn out in your favor but those times seem to be far and few between.

no experiance with selling a boat with tower, but my overall experiance is that you NEVER get out what you put in. Ex. putting a stereo in your car and then selling your car, stereo costs 1000 I might be able to increase the price of the car 500 max. This is must my opinion and sometimes things turn out in your favor but those times seem to be far and few between.

Shhhhhhh...Sounds like good advice but venturabu's wife will probably be reading this thread.

One thing to consider when you realize you won't get back what you put in dollar wise, is that you have to charge yourself something for the enjoyment you'll get out of the item while you still own it...

I would be hard pressed to state that a tower would increase value

over the tower cost, but it seems to make the boat more "saleable",

that is, a potential buyer may chose it over a towerless boat (unless

he/she is a skier only). Last spring I had my '97 VLX for sale in the

paper & the first question EVERYONE asked was "Does it have a tower".

After saying "No" & they saying "Click" a few times, my answer became,

"Yes, it can have one, what kind would you like, I will install it". I

eventually sold to a young man from the Sacramento area that owned

a small fabricating company. I asked him what they made, he stated,

"Boat Towers". Biggrin.gif He had been searching for one without a tower.

I hope this helps your cause.

There is also the legitimate argument that the tower with racks, gets

all the "stuff" off of the floor.

Edited by Hman442

I was reading a copy of a boating magazine last month at the dentist's office (Boating Life maybe?) and a tower was listed as the number one addition to any boat to increase resale value. Seems like a no-brainer on a ski / wakeboard specific boat. You might want to dig up that article if you need some visual aids to convince the wife.

I tend to agree with hman. And tend to disagree with not getting the money back. The tower is almost a functional necessity on a Wakeboard boat. Would you buy a ski boat without a pylon? The majority of people looking for a wakeboard boat are looking for a tower (it's not what it has its what it doesn't have that turns away most buyers). More desirable=more Potential buyers=you will get the best price for your boat.

I tend to agree with hman. And tend to disagree with not getting the money back. The tower is almost a functional necessity on a Wakeboard boat. Would you buy a ski boat without a pylon?  The majority of people looking for a wakeboard boat are looking for a tower (it's not what it has its what it doesn't have that turns away most buyers). More desirable=more Potential buyers=you will get the best price for your boat.

Well said-I agree. It opens the boat to a wider group of potential buyers in the future.

A tower could very well make the difference between being able to sell the boat easily or not. Many new buyers on the market want a wakeboarding boat and therfore the tower is a neccessity. It will be much easier to sell your boat if you already have a tower on it that tryign to get one installed for someone who wants to buy it with a tower.

In addition, here is a list of benefits of the tower for you to show to your wife:

- Tower Racks keep boards out of the way and it is easier to move around the boat.

- You can have a nice family outing with many people on the boat and not have to worry about the rope cutting off rear passengers heads

- Its easier to teach beginners to get up on a short rope off the tower because it helps pull them out of the water.

- Where else can you mount the bling-bling speakers to blast obnoxious music from?

- The tower is like a rollbar and provides an indispensable saftey benefit in the unfortunate event of a roll-over

- If your engine ever dies, simply drape all your towels over the tower and sail home

- Hot single women are naturally attracted to boats with towers

-  The tower is like a rollbar and provides an indispensable saftey benefit in the unfortunate event of a roll-over

:lol:

Other than the posts that seem to agree with my contention, this has to be the single best line from the entire exercise.

lol...

Roll over? ROFL.gif

Thank you to all that replied. I think because of the ease of sale argument, I will go ahead and install the tower. We're looking to sell after this season anyway and we have enough in the current boat fund for a tower install.

A new 'bu will be in the driveway for next season. This time it will come _with_ a tower. :)

Jeff

A tower could very well make the difference between being able to sell the boat easily or not.  Many new buyers on the market want a wakeboarding boat and therfore the tower is a neccessity.  It will be much easier to sell your boat if you already have a tower on it that tryign to get one installed for someone who wants to buy it with a tower.

In addition, here is a list of benefits of the tower for you to show to your wife:

-  Tower Racks keep boards out of the way and it is easier to move around the boat.

-  You can have a nice family outing with many people on the boat and not  have to worry about the rope cutting off rear passengers heads

-  Its easier to teach beginners to get up on a short rope off the tower because it helps pull them out of the water.

-  Where else can you mount the bling-bling speakers to blast obnoxious music from?

-  The tower is like a rollbar and provides an indispensable saftey benefit in the unfortunate event of a roll-over

-  If your engine ever dies, simply drape all your towels over the tower and sail home

-  Hot single women are naturally attracted to boats with towers

Thanks buddy. I needed the humor after talking with BMW and finding out what my regular interval service was going to cost me.

I appreciate it!

Earlier today I was out on nadaguides.com and it says a tower is worth about $1K to the boat. That's black and white proof that you can show the CFO.

:lol:

You guys are laughing, but I actually had a guy ask me that. He was at the car audio shop. I brought the boat in for tower speakers and he refered to the tower as the roll bar. :lol:

It can increase or decrease the value, depending on what tower you buy. If you get a will fit and it looks cheap then people will be looking for cracks and will take away from the super look of a bu. I would install a strong tower that will last for yrs. I had a 94 fourwinns, I installed a wakeair tower with racks. I think and feel that by having the tower it helped me with the sale and asking price. I did get every penny out of it. Yahoo.gif

Resale is the reason that you see 70% of all "slalom" promo boats with a tower and Wedge. It was why Malibu was the first to make open bow's mandatory for promo's.

Dwayne