Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakefoil with a small wave

shawndoggy

25 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

I'd throw a bag in the boat as well and see if that helps.  I'm riding the foil with our Sunsetter slammed.  I'm running about 1400lbs of total ballast and the wedge with a surf gate out. More than I need on the foil but boy it makes it more fun!  

I tried with our boat loaded but no wedge last weekend and strangely it seemed to crush/flatten the second wake.  We dropped the weight and the second wake got a lot better.  Not what I was expecting.

I no longer have my sunsetter, riding a moomba now, I was previously using my surf tabs but I didnt have the control I have gained in the last few sessions.  With my newfound  skills I hope to make it easier. Will look for the bubble line and see where that takes me. Might try increasing the speed a bit too. 

Nice! I swapped back to my taller mast today,still a long way from riding ropeless. I am using a cut up wake rope to pull myself and Im able to get right between the first and second wakes and can work it like a half pipe. Still not ready to let go of the rope but getting closer. Also came in to the first wake and got some slack in the line and that felt good. Just surf tab right and no ballast. Cant wait till it all clicks.

13 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

1550v2

That’s what I’m riding but not getting that pump and glide. I weigh 240 though 

Edited by tspark
13 minutes ago, tspark said:

That’s what I’m riding but not getting that pump and glide. I weigh 240 though 

I shimmed my mast and it made a big difference for me.  What board and where is your mast mounted in the tracks?

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I shimmed my mast and it made a big difference for me.  What board and where is your mast mounted in the tracks?

I’m riding a 4’ Armstrong with the mast on #4 from the rear. 1550v2 60 fuse 232 tail 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 4:20 AM, jkloor said:

Once I got a wakefoil I basically gave up wake surfing. I'd say the foil is 10x more difficult than surfing, but 50x more fun. Other surfers to foilers have shared that same opinion. I've ridden a few hundred times since getting one a year and a half ago and still have a blast on it. It's been a fun challenge to learn to ride the 2nd, and now 3rd wake, where I'm about 150 feet behind the boat, quiet enough to hear the wake wave curling over behind me.

I've ridden 3 different brands. I'd recommend Slingshot for the most "all-purpose" board behind a boat. A longer board with a more substantial strut and wings would make for good ocean foiling  or for a very large, moderately fast moving wave/swell. But the smaller, more nimble Slingshot works well in most all situations.

Also, I've seen some number of boats with foils, and when I ask the boaters how they're enjoying it, many/most say they can't get up on it. I think any decent wake surfer can learn to foil, but the pickup and learning process are very different from anything else you've ridden. I watched some excellent wake surfers struggle unsuccessfully with their foil last week. They were on a short rope behind the boat, and tried to pick the wake foiler up as if he was wake surfing. Where upon the foil just shoots straight up in the air. I would imagine there is good instructional video out there to learn properly.

To me the best is tell the driver put it in gear, I just get my legs on it and dont need to hold the board at all and then just have them accelerate slowly.  The slower start just makes it easy, then get up to speed but you can always cruise out side the wake like you would wakeboard then come back in once the driver gets to the proper speed.

This video is good if you are starting.  I have taught people to get up in the first session multiple times.  I think a lot of it comes down to driver and direction to get people up initially.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/learning-to-foilboard-behind-the-boat-foil-fridays-/

On 7/19/2022 at 8:06 AM, martinarcher said:

I'd throw a bag in the boat as well and see if that helps.  I'm riding the foil with our Sunsetter slammed.  I'm running about 1400lbs of total ballast and the wedge with a surf gate out. More than I need on the foil but boy it makes it more fun!  

Ha that would give you some push ;) I'm riding 0 ballast on the VLX with just the gate and I found it better than with the 750's I put in the rear.  I think one of the main reasons was I had no additional weight up front or in the locker but I have no issues riding rope-less.   This weekend will be switching wakes and trying to pump back and get into the 2nd wake.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:03 AM, shawndoggy said:

I was curious to ask where you guys are riding your masts?  I have mine back about 2" from the absolute rear (not a armstrong board though) and I feel like I need to make some adjustments because my rear calf is burning after about a 10 minute run.  I ride the foil home after a slalom session.  Makes for a fun trip back ;)

I am wondering about putting it all the way to the back so I can get my foot further back as well.

back leg burning indicates that you have more weight on that leg than the front to keep the foil lifting.  moving the mast back will give less leverage and will require even more rear leg weight to stay flying.  But if you aren't riding with your back foot all the way back, try that first (moving your front foot back a corresponding amount).  If your back leg is still burning, then move the mast forward, not back.  That will give even more leverage on the back and will probably require you to move some weight to your front foot.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

2 to 1 transfer today

I find little victories like this (in either surfing or foiling) are almost irrationally satisfying...(wife thinks I'm a weirdo but has learned to tolerate my boating/watersports obsession)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I find little victories like this (in either surfing or foiling) are almost irrationally satisfying...(wife thinks I'm a weirdo but has learned to tolerate my boating/watersports obsession)

100%!  This one is pretty much the easiest "trick" ever... really just dependent on the driver to get the boat moving again.  But... first try and I hit it, so I was pretty stoked!

I went ropeless today!!!!!!

I rode a nebula board with a lift foil? Much smaller than my infinity 76. Really low volume board too. I came up right away on it and rode it behind a 2021 supra SL. The guy who owned the foil tokd me to just throw the rope. He said its just a crutch and one more thing to worry about so I sent it and could not believe I was riding ropeless!  Such a good wave good push, fully ballasted.  And its not a fluke because I did it twice so I think I am right there at it. Will be excited to see if I can do it on my foil this weekend at Norris!

• Like 4
1 minute ago, mxmark4 said:

I went ropeless today!!!!!!

I rode a nebula board with a lift foil? Much smaller than my infinity 76. Really low volume board too. I came up right away on it and rode it behind a 2021 supra SL. The guy who owned the foil tokd me to just throw the rope. He said its just a crutch and one more thing to worry about so I sent it and could not believe I was riding ropeless!  Such a good wave good push, fully ballasted.  And its not a fluke because I did it twice so I think I am right there at it. Will be excited to see if I can do it on my foil this weekend at Norris!

Awesome!  The journey continues!

Just got a wakefoil and tried for the first time yesterday. Good advice in this thread got me up and riding long line pretty quickly. I also sky ski so general foil experience helped as well.

I was riding about 10-12mph. Should I speed up a little long line, or try to dial in rope less at slow speeds first?

13 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

Just got a wakefoil and tried for the first time yesterday. Good advice in this thread got me up and riding long line pretty quickly. I also sky ski so general foil experience helped as well.

I was riding about 10-12mph. Should I speed up a little long line, or try to dial in rope less at slow speeds first?

What foil are you riding?