Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakefoil with a small wave

shawndoggy

I've been having a blast dialing in my foiling behind my 22 LSV this season so far! After re-reading this thread the other day, I tried foiling without any wedge and found the turbulence for wake to wake transfers is MUCH better. I am now just running the stock bow hard tank full, which leaves essentially no whitewash on the 1st wave (so the 2nd wave is very clean). Typically going about 11.5.

Also, I'm loving the 3'8" Nebula. I struggled the first few times going to a short board (I'm 220), but I'm now nailing every pull. I'm on a lift 200HA/glide33 with 32" mast. I also run a lift 270 camber pro/38 surf, but I prefer the HA for the ability to extend the pocket with a quick pump or 2. The short board + HA wing is like a sportscar.

• Like 3

Debating on whether to go with the 3'8" or the 4'2" Nebula.  I am like 5'11" 185 lbs.  ropeless on the first wake.  Currently on slingshot wf-2 (think it's 4'10") use both the infinity 76 and have a quantum 100.  

30 minutes ago, AWADD09 said:

Debating on whether to go with the 3'8" or the 4'2" Nebula.  I am like 5'11" 185 lbs.  ropeless on the first wake.  Currently on slingshot wf-2 (think it's 4'10") use both the infinity 76 and have a quantum 100.  

go with the 3'8".  The size of the board is really irrelevant unless you are 7' and have a yuge stance.  In either case the smaller boards (in my experience) CANNOT be ridden flat on the water like the big slingshot can.  Rather you basically have to get on foil right off the bat.  So if that's true, why not have the smallest possible board?  If you can't go straight to foil on your slingshot (i.e. you always get up "wakesurf style," ride the board flat on the water and slowly bring the foil up), practice going from the water right to foil and the transition to the smaller board will be much easier

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in foiling wave and/or turbulence behind different boat brands?  each time i foil behind a buddy's MC X24, it seems like there's (a) more turbulence (1st wake especially and even 2nd wake and during crossover attempts) and (b) harder to find / stay in sweet spot on 2nd wake.  

i spend more time behind my A24 so maybe its just comfort/practice/feel curve -- curious if i'm imagining it or others have similar experience? 

(no boat manufacturers seem to cater/advertise to foiling people, so haven't seen any YouTube video's comment on turbulence etc -- big surf waves are much sexier to sell a boat)

behind 23 lsv things felt 100% normal.  Behind Moomba mojo it felt super weird... very  "vert" wake and that made the push stronger but more narrow if that makes sense.  Definitely rideable, but different for sure.

My only experience is behind either a 23 or 25 LSV.  After playing with the settings on each, the turbulence does vary so I guess boat to boat would vary as well with each particular brands settings.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought some straps for my Nebula board. Anybody have any experience jumping a foil? I plan to be wearing my helmet when attempting this since I will be strapped in. 

26 minutes ago, mxmark4 said:

Just bought some straps for my Nebula board. Anybody have any experience jumping a foil? I plan to be wearing my helmet when attempting this since I will be strapped in. 

Yes...not good at it, but I've landed a few jumps. Straps are great, helps avoid that taco where your face goes towards sharp wingtips. 

I found it helpful to get the feel of breaching on purpose to hold the rope on 1st wave and go into the flats and just try a bunny hop a couple times. 

But in the flats you are going slow, so after 5 or so attempts at that I started pumping down the line of the wave and trying progressively sharper hops up. 

If doing an air on a surfboard I pump right before the jump but on foil that would mess with my balance so I usually "glide" the last 6-8ft before jumping.

Need to stomp on the back foot when you land, else the tail touches wave first and pitches whole setup nose down and board may pearl. 

Thats best I can describe - and I'm a beginner jumper so reserve the right to change all that advice later (plan to foil tomorrow AM, will take mental notes if I land any good ones).

Let us know how it goes! 

VideoCapture_20230728-165535.jpg

Edited by CaptainMorgan

Excited to see what happens here when I get strapped in. Have had some great foil sessions here lately and my carving and pumping is getting better every ride. The Quantum 100 wing I bought for my slingshot setup is a lot of wing for me with a lot of lift but turns so slow and gradual that I wasnt a big fan of it. Maybe swapping to the bigger wing will get me in the air!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, mxmark4 said:

Excited to see what happens here when I get strapped in. Have had some great foil sessions here lately and my carving and pumping is getting better every ride. The Quantum 100 wing I bought for my slingshot setup is a lot of wing for me with a lot of lift but turns so slow and gradual that I wasnt a big fan of it. Maybe swapping to the bigger wing will get me in the air!

any update? did the straps and/or wing change help? 

i'm still only landing 1 of every 5 jump attempts, so not the best to be giving advice, but i finally splurged on my own GoFoil setup so maybe having my own/stable setup will help me turn the corner (the challenge is still a blast)

No updates here. Straps are still sitting in the passenger seat of my Mini Cooper. Honestly I keep forgetting until I am at the lake. I plan to swap them out before we go out Monday and see what happens. Work has been awful lately and the last 2 lake days I had we were just sitting in the water at pro wake tour watching others ride. 

• 4 months later...

forgot to mention that by end of the season favorite setup was full ballast but no wedge (left in stowed position)...but the important observation was that with the wedge stowed, it made turning while underway WAY easier without the wedge acting as a rudder!   initially lack of deployment was an oversight, but then i noticed the turning improvement and my friend did too (originally he thought the surfgate was broken / not fully deployed because it was such a change compared to usual setup with wedge). 

i still use wedge to surf but that's always straight line by necessity; but foilers can tolerate lots of turning, so its nice to have that ability (especially for setting up a nice dual-boat bowl to foil between boats). 

Is summer here yet?  

On 1/22/2024 at 9:30 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

Is summer here yet?  

I'd settle for spring.   Was planning to try Saturday as it's warmer, but that brings rain this time of year.   I'm dying to get out on and behind the boat (though I'm not a foiler)!   

Edited by dizzygti