Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakefoil with a small wave

shawndoggy

I am itching to buy one. I want to be on the water mid day while at the lake, but it gets too choppy to ski or wake board. I guess I could hang out in the sun and drink barley pops in the afternoon, but that makes the evening ski set a little sketchy! My wife is loving "busting out a couple thousand" every year. maybe next year will be the year... I am jealous...

As nicely as I can put this- Is it actually fun or just more of a challenge to see if you can ride it?  With the cost, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that it becomes boring really quickly.

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

As nicely as I can put this- Is it actually fun or just more of a challenge to see if you can ride it?  With the cost, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that it becomes boring really quickly.

I rode last year with a foil on a rope behind my outboard. It is really fun... like you are flying! I have the Slingshot. Bought another this year for surfing with the LSV. Stoked to try it. 

6 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

It's a good question.  just the sensation of controlling three dimensions is pretty fun for now.  Might it get boring?  Maybe.  I mean I seem to get to a "as good as I'm going to ever be" place with any activity after a while.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

If you like the feeling of snowboarding deep pow, I'd say it's a lot like that.  Very floaty.

Agreed! Its not just left and right, but up and down! Also, you can get air on them as well, but its a bit dicey and you need straps. Def like snowboarding pow

6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

It's a good question.  just the sensation of controlling three dimensions is pretty fun for now.  Might it get boring?  Maybe.  I mean I seem to get to a "as good as I'm going to ever be" place with any activity after a while.

If I could do half that stuff, 'm sold.

Once I got a wakefoil I basically gave up wake surfing. I'd say the foil is 10x more difficult than surfing, but 50x more fun. Other surfers to foilers have shared that same opinion. I've ridden a few hundred times since getting one a year and a half ago and still have a blast on it. It's been a fun challenge to learn to ride the 2nd, and now 3rd wake, where I'm about 150 feet behind the boat, quiet enough to hear the wake wave curling over behind me.

I've ridden 3 different brands. I'd recommend Slingshot for the most "all-purpose" board behind a boat. A longer board with a more substantial strut and wings would make for good ocean foiling  or for a very large, moderately fast moving wave/swell. But the smaller, more nimble Slingshot works well in most all situations.

Also, I've seen some number of boats with foils, and when I ask the boaters how they're enjoying it, many/most say they can't get up on it. I think any decent wake surfer can learn to foil, but the pickup and learning process are very different from anything else you've ridden. I watched some excellent wake surfers struggle unsuccessfully with their foil last week. They were on a short rope behind the boat, and tried to pick the wake foiler up as if he was wake surfing. Where upon the foil just shoots straight up in the air. I would imagine there is good instructional video out there to learn properly.

• Like 2

Good topic.  I've gotten more interested in trying/purchasing one of these over the past couple months.

Question for those who own them.   I watched some videos that "recommended" using a slight turn in the boat when using a foil   Is that necessary?   I boat on a river so I only have straight runs available for me.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, PaulH86 said:

Good topic.  I've gotten more interested in trying/purchasing one of these over the past couple months.

Question for those who own them.   I watched some videos that "recommended" using a slight turn in the boat when using a foil   Is that necessary?   I boat on a river so I only have straight runs available for me.

Thanks.

not at all.  Maybe if you are foiling behind a 12' jonboat or something.  But behind an inboard there's plenty of wake going straight.

I’ll second slingshot as well as the longer rope to learn. Get a small learners mast to use as well. You’ll use it a few times and be done but it makes progression WAY easier.

Foil Academy is free, buy through Slingshot if you like what you see and it helps you learn. 

https://www.foil-academy.com/courses/wake-foil-academy

Edited by Raleigh
1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

I’ll second slingshot as well as the longer rope to learn. Get a small learners mast to used as well. You’ll use it a few times and be done but it makes progression WAY easier.

Foil Academy is free, buy through Slingshot if you like what you see and it helps you learn. 

https://www.foil-academy.com/courses/wake-foil-academy

ha!  We got the surf foil package last fall, which comes only with the longer mast. Then we watched foil academy and it said to start with the short mast. My wife was sure I’d bought the wrong thing and it would kill us both. 

I did get bucked super hard the first set, but was going ropeless by the end of day 2. My wife can ride with the rope basically forever. 

those vids were SUPER helpful for us as never-evers 

• 2 weeks later...

if this replaces Wakesurfing for 75% of people, shorelines, homeowners, slalom skiers and a whole ton of other people are gonna be super happy.  :)

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'm hoping that takes over from surfing as the next big thing, though since it seems there aren't many tricks you can do on it, maybe not?

Haha have you seen the guys pumping around the boat?

its hard to convey in video but the power of the carves is pretty amazing. I “surface surfed” for a set today too and it wasn’t as fun, even with my limited quiver of tricks. Prolly just the challenge of learning something new at this point.