Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propeller not spinning with the shaft

Hi all, I’m new to Malibu Crew.  From what I’m seeing, you might be able to help.

I recently hit my lift while reversing out of the lift. The prop got dinged up in the accident. When I went to take off the prop, the prop and shaft will spin independently. Did I mess up the whole shaft? Or do you think it’s just how the prop connects to the shaft?  The weird part is when I was turning on the lock nut to get the prop off, the whole shaft would spin. Because of this, I can not get my prop off. 

Do you all have any thoughts? 

That’s normal. I normally just use a piece of scrap wood between the prop and the cage underneath. I try to use a piece of wood long enough to be able to block the prop on as long of a section of prop as possible. Trying to avoid the tip of the prop as much as possible. 

formulaben

Sounds like you sheared the key.  An impact wrench would be best, but if you don't have one then I'd grab a pipe wrench and wrap the shaft with some tape and use it to stop the shaft from turning to get the nut off.  To be honest I've never heard of a key shearing without doing serious damage to the prop, but maybe you got lucky?  How bad is the damage?

On these newer shift-by-wire boats, if you turn on all systems but don't start the boat, will it shift the transmission into gear?  Next question.  If you cut power or pull the lanyard, will it stay in gear?

Putting the boat in gear is a good way to keep the shaft from spinning when turning the nut, but not sure how you do that with the whizbang electronic gizmo controls.

Edited by UWSkier