Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fixing small chips in hull below waterline

We are looking at a 2yr old Axis T22 and notice small chips on the front of the hull below the waterline...my guess is from rocks kicking up from the tow vehicle. They aren’t cracks but small little chips, about 3 of them, half the size of a sunflower seed. First is this normal to be expected? Can these be fixed? Thanks. 

Fairly normal. Could also be from 'beaching' the boat or hitting small debris in water while underway. 

I just fixed a small gouge/ding on the keel of our A22 that went through the gelcoat. Dealer recommended using Marine Tex. I bought the 'junior' version (2oz, I think). It was very easy to use. I used a small rotary tool to clean up any cracks coming off the ding/gouge in the gelcoat, then cleaned with lacquer thinner (acetone works too). Then I taped up the area so I didn't spread anything beyond the area I wanted to fix. Then mixed up the Marine Tex and applied, following the instructions. Once it dried, I wet sanded the area, starting at 600 grit and going to 2000 grit. Followed that with rubbing compound, polishing compound and finally a wax. Looks shiny and not noticeable. Marine Tex also dries SUPER hard. Don't expect any troubles with it.

Marine-tex is only n white and grey although you can tint the white.  Frankly, unless you are deep into the glass I'd forget it.  Or get a Spectrum gel coat (matched) kit.