Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I worry?

So I just took the boat out of storage and dewinterized, but now the weather is showing a low of 27 degrees Friday. Is this cold enough to cause me trouble? Should I put a heater in the engine area for the night? What would you do?

your range of low temp thru the night will not last long enough to do any damage from what I understand.  You would need to have that boat sitting out for days in that temp to do damage.  Do you have a heater?  If it were me and piece of mind, I would hang a halogen lamp that gives off enough heat over the engine intake plenum thru the night if you can or a heated blanket.  If you have a heater, drain it since the lines are smaller?  Is this sitting outside?

36 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

your range of low temp thru the night will not last long enough to do any damage from what I understand.  You would need to have that boat sitting out for days in that temp to do damage.  Do you have a heater?  If it were me and piece of mind, I would hang a halogen lamp that gives off enough heat over the engine intake plenum thru the night if you can or a heated blanket.  If you have a heater, drain it since the lines are smaller?  Is this sitting outside?

Yes, it’s in my driveway until it goes to the marina next weekend. The heated blanket is a good idea just so I don’t have to worry about it. I also have a small space heater that would raise the temps those few degrees that might make the difference, even outside under the cover. 

30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

What does de-winterized mean? (For me that means I took the cover off)   Did you actually use the boat? 

Depending on how it was winterized some of the hoses may not be attached, the impeller may have been left out over the winter to keep it from getting a memory, maybe some waited to change the oil/fluids(?), put the prop back on (if you took it off for transport), put the drain plugs back in, etc. I like to swap out the impeller then run it up to temp with a fake lake and make sure none of the hoses are leaking before I put it in.

36 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Did you actually use the boat? 

I think where @oldjeep is going, if you ran it, then you now have all of your raw water cooling system full with water again.  If you didn't run it, the lines should be empty still and you would indeed be good to go.  Since you ran it, slap a heated blanket on the engine and put the space heater near your heater core if you have one.  Put your cover back on in attempt to "try" and trap any heat and you will be fine.

Thanks for your help! I’m definitely going to go with the piece of mind route, would hate to crack a block at the beginning of boating season!!

If it's above freezing all day and going to be above freezing the following day you'll be fine.  It takes quite a while at a hard freeze level and just overnight isn't a long time.  Still a good idea to do what you are considering, just for peace of mind.

25 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

If it's above freezing all day and going to be above freezing the following day you'll be fine.  It takes quite a while at a hard freeze level and just overnight isn't a long time.  Still a good idea to do what you are considering, just for peace of mind.

Yes, might as well! Thanks for the advice!! 

Same here I ran mine on the lake Monday and now it’s saying 28 Friday night.   I’m just going to drain the block and blow out the heater lines just so I can sleep better.  Odds are it’s not long enough but why test it?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Same here I ran mine on the lake Monday and now it’s saying 28 Friday night.   I’m just going to drain the block and blow out the heater lines just so I can sleep better.  Odds are it’s not long enough but why test it?

it really is easy to just drain the block and remove a few hoses that trap a lot of water.  that is what I would do as well.  I think I would be more worried about my heater core for an 8 hour window of freeze than the block as those lines are fairly smaller, but still seems like it would take a few days at those temps to do  harm.

Getting to the drain points on my motor is a real PITA! I wish that wasn't the case,  I would definitely do that if it was.

17 minutes ago, hmh800 said:

The heater is the only part to worry about, but unfortunately it’s also harder to drain than the motor!

Why is it harder? Pull 2 hoses and blow, done.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Yup.  I think some people remove hoses from the core.  I did that my first year and realized it was an enormous PITA so now I just pull the two off the block/water pump drain them then blow air through.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
On 5/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, dalt1 said:

If you have the Raptor motor, please take pics. Most of the drain points are easy, but the huge bolt on the end of the VDrive and the little nuts under the sides of the motor are impossible to get to. I know if someone showed me, I would feel like an idiot. 

ahopkins22LSV
52 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

If you have the Raptor motor, please take pics. Most of the drain points are easy, but the huge bolt on the end of the VDrive and the little nuts under the sides of the motor are impossible to get to. I know if someone showed me, I would feel like an idiot. 

Heater should be apart of the closed cooling loop in the raptor. Nothing to winterize.