Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How did you wire the tower?

Brandonloos21

For those of you that have wired an axis tower (specifically aw15), for 4 tower speakers and 4 rgb lights (1 for each speaker), how did you manage and what gauge wires did you use. Right now I can’t seem to get more than 2 speaker wires and 2 4 terminal wires for the rgbs. Thanks

MLA is correct! You can parallel both rights and both lefts up in the cross bar.  I chose to run each speaker on its own amp channel.  IF its going to fit all on one side, you will need to run 18ga for the speakers and a single run of your RBG wires.  If you havent, i would pull all the wires out.  BE SURE YOU PULL A PULL-STRING with the wires.   You will need to first fish them up from the gunnel thru the base of the tower.  Pull lots of slack.  Then pull up/over the tower tubes.  Having a smooth transition where you attach the wires to the rope is important.  Making a sharp 90 bend isnt easy and a bulky spot will just jam up on you.

If you do decide to run just 2 speaker wires, i would recommend bumping up to at least a 16ga wire.  You are going to push more power across each wire (to both speakers).

Edited by Texan32

Makes sense!! Using 14ga so we’re solid. How would you recommend taking 1 rgb wire into 4 while still having a watertight connection?

5 hours ago, MLA said:

You only need two 2-conductors for the four speakers and one 4-conductor for the all the LEDs. Gauge depends on the amp wattage. 

4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

MLA is correct! You can parallel both rights and both lefts up in the cross bar.  I chose to run each speaker on its own amp channel.  IF its going to fit all on one side, you will need to run 18ga for the speakers and a single run of your RBG wires.  If you havent, i would pull all the wires out.  BE SURE YOU PULL A PULL-STRING with the wires.   You will need to first fish them up from the gunnel thru the base of the tower.  Pull lots of slack.  Then pull up/over the tower tubes.  Having a smooth transition where you attach the wires to the rope is important.  Making a sharp 90 bend isnt easy and a bulky spot will just jam up on you.

If you do decide to run just 2 speaker wires, i would recommend bumping up to at least a 16ga wire.  You are going to push more power across each wire (to both speakers).

Check my above post as I tried to reply to you too

You can make your own splitter cable by soldering everythign how you want and the use waterproof heat shrink OR use the water tight butt connectors to make your splices.  OR....use whatever crimp/conneciton method you want and use watertight tape.  I honestly think i used regular butt connectors and electrical tape in my tower. 

43 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

You can make your own splitter cable by soldering everythign how you want and the use waterproof heat shrink OR use the water tight butt connectors to make your splices.  OR....use whatever crimp/conneciton method you want and use watertight tape.  I honestly think i used regular butt connectors and electrical tape in my tower. 

Awesome thankyou!!

5 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Makes sense!! Using 14ga so we’re solid. How would you recommend taking 1 rgb wire into 4 while still having a watertight connection?

Like a said, wire gauge is based on amp wattage. All the LEDs will be wired in parallel, so you can daisy chain from the first pod, to the 2nd, to the 3rd, etc. As notes, water tight heatshrink over solder or even better, water tights heatshrink butts. 

13 hours ago, MLA said:

Like a said, wire gauge is based on amp wattage. All the LEDs will be wired in parallel, so you can daisy chain from the first pod, to the 2nd, to the 3rd, etc. As notes, water tight heatshrink over solder or even better, water tights heatshrink butts. 

Will 14gauge speaker wire be enough for 4 rev 10’s in parallel

11 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Will 14gauge speaker wire be enough for 4 rev 10’s in parallel

Wire gauge is about wattage through the circuit and zero to do with the size or number of speakers. One 6" speaker powered with 400W would require the same gauge as four 10" speakers sharing the same 400W. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, MLA said:

Wire gauge is about wattage through the circuit and zero to do with the size or number of speakers. One 6" speaker powered with 400W would require the same gauge as four 10" speakers sharing the same 400W. 

I understand that. I’m running 4 rev 10’s in parallel off of the SDX2 so it’ll be 620 x 2. I’m going to run 2 wires from amp and split them at the speakers

9 minutes ago, MLA said:

Do you mean "each pair in parallel" and "two 2 conductors"? That amp will not like a 1 ohm load. 

Yeah, I’m saying run 2 wires from the amp, to each left and right side pairs, then on each side run a set of wires from the speaker connected to the Amp to the other speaker on that side, so 2 channels each with a 2 ohm load. I’m asking will 14 ga wire be able to hold 620 watts?

36 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Yeah, I’m saying run 2 wires from the amp, to each left and right side pairs, then on each side run a set of wires from the speaker connected to the Amp to the other speaker on that side, so 2 channels each with a 2 ohm load. I’m asking will 14 ga wire be able to hold 620 watts?

The wire is not going to explode or anything... it just won't pass quite as much current for the run as thicker wire would.  For 620w, ideally you'd probably want 12 awg.  But are you going to hear a difference between 12 awg and 14 awg?   NOPE.  On an old boat I had, which came pre-wired with 16awg (definitely not ideal), I ran rev10s in a similar fashion to what you are proposing.   One spring in the off season I rewired the tower with 12awg to each speaker.  It was a huge PITA and if I'm being honest totally wasn't worth the effort, and I couldn't hear a difference.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, shawndoggy said:

The wire is not going to explode or anything... it just won't pass quite as much current for the run as thicker wire would.  For 620w, ideally you'd probably want 12 awg.  But are you going to hear a difference between 12 awg and 14 awg?   NOPE.  On an old boat I had, which came pre-wired with 16awg (definitely not ideal), I ran rev10s in a similar fashion to what you are proposing.   One spring in the off season I rewired the tower with 12awg to each speaker.  It was a huge PITA and if I'm being honest totally wasn't worth the effort, and I couldn't hear a difference.

Awesome thanks man. And yes, it was a PITA forsure lol