Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lower and lock tower for travel 2018 MLX

408RealEstate

Can someone show or explain to me how to lower and lock the tower of a 2018 mlx for travel. I had it up and caught a tree branch which tweaked my board racks. Don't want to have this happen again. 

I don't believe your tower can be locked in the down position for towing.  You would need the G4 or GX "power" tower for that and I don't thing that these were offered on the MLX.

37 minutes ago, 408RealEstate said:

Can someone show or explain to me how to lower and lock the tower of a 2018 mlx for travel. I had it up and caught a tree branch which tweaked my board racks. Don't want to have this happen again. 

You can tow with it down, but it needs to be braced.  as @wedge88 said locking a G3 or G3.5 tower in the down position is not an option.  My dealer builds a structure they secure into the forward bilge hatch, and strap the tower down to it, basically a pole with a foot and a cradle for the tower.

regardless of that, you need to turn your board racks in whenever towing, or just take them off if you know there could be branches in the way.

11 hours ago, 408RealEstate said:

Well that makes sense then, poor design if you can pull it down but not leave it down?

It seems to me that the roadways where you tow are more poorly designed than the tower that is on your boat.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, asnowman said:

You can tow with it down, but it needs to be braced.  as @wedge88 said locking a G3 or G3.5 tower in the down position is not an option.  My dealer builds a structure they secure into the forward bilge hatch, and strap the tower down to it, basically a pole with a foot and a cradle for the tower.

regardless of that, you need to turn your board racks in whenever towing, or just take them off if you know there could be branches in the way.

Any idea if your dealer is selling these and if so the price?

32 minutes ago, CraigP said:

Any idea if your dealer is selling these and if so the price?

They offerred to give me one, i decided not to take it, but i guess i should have. They explained it as a couple 2x4s and a ratchet strap.... should be fairly easy to figure out.