Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Mount Transducer

wtblack

Has anyone mounted a Transom Mount Transducer?  I have a 2000 Sunsetter and have read various things about mounting it below the hull for cleaner / better readings.  

Also, didn't know if there was a preferred place drill through in order to send the wiring inside the boat?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

@wtblack get a through the hull transducer, not a transom mount one.  The transom mount one will kick up a spray, and unless you are fishing, the difference in detail is not worth it.  You can get shoot through the hull models, they epoxy in place, and have worked very well for us in the past, best part is, no need to drill any holes.

Edited by asnowman
spelling inability

@asnowman that's what I was wanting but after talking to Airmar, they said  the in-hull would not work properly and said I needed a transom mount.  You were able to get a in-hull transducer to work fine?  I'm not fishing, just simply a depth finder.  Thanks!

The factory through-hull transducers don't look through the hull, they are mounted in a hole in the hull and bonded in place.  They work just fine.

Tell Airmar that you have a tournament ski boat with a great wake and you don't want to mess it up.  Maybe they will change their tune.

1 hour ago, wtblack said:

@asnowman that's what I was wanting but after talking to Airmar, they said  the in-hull would not work properly and said I needed a transom mount.  You were able to get a in-hull transducer to work fine?  I'm not fishing, just simply a depth finder.  Thanks!

Yes. In our 2002 i installed one. Just epoxied it to the hull in the bilge, in the hatch by the drive seat. Wasn't exactly level, so deep reading may have been off, but it said 6 feet at the dock, where it was 6 feet of water. Was more than good enough for me. 

Our 05 response came with a through hull transducer that i have yet to install.

@justgary is right though, the factory ones are all through hull mounted, and don't mess up the wake.

6 hours ago, wtblack said:

Has anyone mounted a Transom Mount Transducer?  I have a 2000 Sunsetter and have read various things about mounting it below the hull for cleaner / better readings.  

Also, didn't know if there was a preferred place drill through in order to send the wiring inside the boat?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2005 LSV with a Faria (?) mounted in the center ski compartment.  It is designed so that you can aim it straight down.  It's mounted in a fluid filled cylinder that you attach to the inside  of the hull and has worked well for 2 years and is accurate up to 30+ mph.

I just replaced my failed Lowrance unit in my 2001 vlx. The factory transducer (not sure of the brand) was thru hull. All I did was remove the nut on the transducer and whack it a couple times with a hammer. It popped free, and I cut the cable. Next I cleaned off the old sealant with a knife and some acetone. The factory hole was like 1/16" too small for the new (airmar) transducer so I used a sanding wheel on a Dremel to enlarge the hole. All that was left to do was apply new sealant, install the new nut/gasket, and use old cable to pull new cable under the helm.

Might be a little more difficult if you don't have an existing setup, but it's still doable.