Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Did giving someone a jump damage my battery?

Thank you in advance for reading this.

I have a somewhat brand new 2018 Malibu MLX. There's 2 batteries in the boat. I gave someone a jump this weekend. I was using the #2 battery when jumping them. The manual says to run the #1 battery when driving the boat and using #2 battery for just floating and playing music. i noticed after listening to music for a couple hours then starting boat with #2 battery it took a few seconds for engine to turn over. Is this simply due to the radio being played for a while or me jumping someone? The #1 battery i can tell has a greater charge now. Should i be concerned? Am I supposed to charge #2 battery up or something? I'm not too savvy on this stuff.  Thank you for any input. 

You were sitting parked sucking power off of the #2 battery and then used it to start the boat?  Sounds normal that the battery would be run down some.  After you got the boat back to where you were going did you try to restart on #2 and see if it was better after being charged on the way back?

The only time your batteries are charging is when the switch is set to that battery and the boat is running. (or in the case of the Both setting it is charging both while running)

If you never run battery 2 with the boat running, the alternator will never have a chance to charge it.  I would run on “both” when driving the boat, and switch to either 1 or 2 to park and listen to music.  As far as your question, it was just slow to start cause the battery was low from playing music.  

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You were sitting parked sucking power off of the #2 battery and then used it to start the boat?  Sounds normal that the battery would be run down some.  After you got the boat back to where you were going did you try to restart on #2 and see if it was better after being charged on the way back?

The only time your batteries are charging is when the switch is set to that battery and the boat is running. (or in the case of the Both setting it is charging both while running)

correct, i used that #2 battery to start boat. i did not re-check the #2 battery after running it on the way back. I think i switched to the #1 when i had little trouble with #2.  now that i know, i should've ran the #2 to charge it on way back. But later i did run the bilge with the #2 and switched to #1. Bilge would run stronger and louder on #1 battery vs. #2.  thank you for the advice. i'll be running both so they can both charge and stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

correct, i used that #2 battery to start boat. i did not re-check the #2 battery after running it on the way back. I think i switched to the #1 when i had little trouble with #2.  now that i know, i should've ran the #2 to charge it on way back. But later i did run the bilge with the #2 and switched to #1. Bilge would run stronger and louder on #1 battery vs. #2.  thank you for the advice. i'll be running both so they can both charge and stay healthy.

If it is normal for you to sit and park with the stereo going, I'd consider adding a 2 channel onboard charger that you can plug in when at home/dock to make sure they are both charged. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If it is normal for you to sit and park with the stereo going, I'd consider adding a 2 channel onboard charger that you can plug in when at home/dock to make sure they are both charged. 

good call, thank you!

I have a unit similar to this on my boat at all times:

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-19200mAh-Portable-Starter-Flashlight/dp/B07DWSYYZR/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=battery+jump+starter&qid=1588619797&sr=8-9

Mostly for my own peace of mind.  If the kids leave the stereo or ignition on too long, I am not stuck waiting for a good Samaritan to come by and give me a jump, which involves positioning the boats so the cables can reach, moving a bunch of seat cusions, and making sure the tower racks don't get tangled up.  Big headache all around, even on smooth water.  

Also, if somebody else needs a jump, I can just toss them the charger pack and cables and I'm everybody's hero.  Makes a jump start much less time consuming.

I have a battery tender on the boat which I plug in when the boat is not in use.  The cord for the battery tender also charges the jumper pack, so it is always ready. I have used it a dozen times and it has never failed.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kylesullens said:

I have a unit similar to this on my boat at all times:

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-19200mAh-Portable-Starter-Flashlight/dp/B07DWSYYZR/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=battery+jump+starter&qid=1588619797&sr=8-9

Mostly for my own peace of mind.  If the kids leave the stereo or ignition on too long, I am not stuck waiting for a good Samaritan to come by and give me a jump, which involves positioning the boats so the cables can reach, moving a bunch of seat cusions, and making sure the tower racks don't get tangled up.  Big headache all around, even on smooth water.  

Also, if somebody else needs a jump, I can just toss them the charger pack and cables and I'm everybody's hero.  Makes a jump start much less time consuming.

I have a battery tender on the boat which I plug in when the boat is not in use.  The cord for the battery tender also charges the jumper pack, so it is always ready. I have used it a dozen times and it has never failed.  

awesome, thank you!