Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan Alpha II cans

pawter1970

Hi crew,

just replaced the 6x9's in the cans and noticed the very tiny black seals from the the speaker face plates had broken apart, noticed this after the install was done as the seal debris were on the floor. Can these seals be replaced and/or should I bother as the face plates seem pretty tight? Or should I put in a sealant type gel? Just wondering if someone did the replacement without replacing the seals and saw any difference.

Thank you crew.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, daughjs said:

what speakers did you use? I'm looking to replace my Alpha II 6x9s also.

Just JBL 6x9's found on Amazon, they sound great but will see how they weather the elements. I may purchase some speaker covers. 

8 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Wetsounds 696s

On 5/5/2020 at 8:29 PM, wdr said:

Mine did the same thing years back. RTV them black and don't look back. Never had a problem with them afterward.

This, exactly. We replaced the factory ones with the wetsounds. 6 years later they still sounded good.

I purchased my first malibu wakesetter. I would like to install the oem cans on the tower.  Where can I buy empty cans. I would like to install my own speakers in the cans.  Thanks for the help.  Tj

So, I just replaced my rotted MB quart tower speakers.  The can seals were long gone, didn't have much luck with black silicon seal so I replaced the little 2 mm seal with this:  .079'' (2 mm) Silicone O-Ring Cord Stock, 70A Durometer, 0.079" Thickness, 10' Piece, Red from amazon.  This fits well.  With regards to the tower speakers I tried two different kinds of JL's  The c1 and c2 690x.  The C2's had polypropylene drivers and were 3 dB more efficient than the C1's.  They fit perfectly in the titan tower cans.  I had trouble fitting the C1's as the "yellow" part of the driver was a bit larger, and the foam part seemed to interfere with the tower "grill."   They are 3 way speakers.  They sound absolutely awesome and louder and cleaner with the same amplifier settings when compared to the old ones.  The other cabin speakers are fine but don't sound anywhere as clean and loud as the JL's.  My guess is that the MB quarts probably rated 89 dB vs JL 93 dB with one watt.  Its not subtle. My wife asked when I'd be replacing the other speakers as they don't sound anywhere near as good.  These are not marine rated speakers but I've used JL's in my other boats for years without problems. 

9 hours ago, Tj14 said:

I purchased my first malibu wakesetter. I would like to install the oem cans on the tower.  Where can I buy empty cans. I would like to install my own speakers in the cans.  Thanks for the help.  Tj

Is this for looks, like restoring a classic to its original state? Starting from scratch, there are better options then 6x9 speakers. 

4 hours ago, MLA said:

Is this for looks, like restoring a classic to its original state? Starting from scratch, there are better options then 6x9 speakers. 

I prefer the look of the titan cans over speakers mounted to the tower. I am not married to the oem speakers though.

What clamps can you use for the Alpha 2 cans? I got some used for free but they have the plate side mount for the towers and not the round clamp. I'd need 1 7/8" clamps but I'm having trouble finding ones that will work for sure. 

I went with the Wetsounds Pro HLCD (not sure if I should've bought the newer Revolution 6x9 HLCD...)

No you got the right ones.  I had 6.5inch cans and swapped them our for 6x9 alpha II cans on my Titan tower.   I used the original clamps and a rubber mat spacer between the cans and the clamps.   I did have to drill new holes in the cans, but the spacer took up the curvature difference and made a clean look.  I had some 1/4 inch rubber, but anything compressible will work (beer coozy?).

BTW.....run more than the 150RMS power....you need like 250 to hear while wakeboarding.  They can take it if you cross them over at around 100Hz.

Edited by goodmatt78

Thanks Matt - I think I'm actually going to return the 150W RMS amp I bought and get at least a 200 or 250W. Any issues at all running them that high? I was planning on running 12 AWG wire up the tower for them. Can you hear them decent Wakeboarding with just the 2 speakers? 

No you won't hurt them...I have a wetsounds HT-4 bridged to 300W.  I properly tuned mine while checking for clipping and using a multimeter calculated the power.  I used a 1000Hz test tone and I think mine is gained down to around 250W.  I will say that when listening to music it is often well under 200W as most music is at -6 or more db.

I have a titan 3 tower and mine are aimed a bit out from what I would like (not adjustable).  If I pitched them in a bit it would be perfect for wakeboard distance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:34 AM, Tj14 said:

I prefer the look of the titan cans over speakers mounted to the tower. I am not married to the oem speakers though.

I have a set of Titan cans with orig speakers in them if you are interested. Speakers work, but but could stand to be replaced. DM if you still are looking.

• 3 years later...

hi! Anyone out there have Titan Alpha II performance cans? I am trying to get 2 more and these are near impossible to find.

Appreciate the help.