Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 response lxi

barefoot1017

I had a 2002 response LXI and loved it for slalom skiing. I went out and bought a 2008 response with the diamond hull I was told this is the cats meow. Well I am really disappointed in this boat. it actually has a rooster tail and you could probably wake board at 33 MPH. Has anyone else had any issues. I slalom ski and barefoot so the smaller the wake the better. Any ideas?

ahopkins22LSV

Try adding 150 pounds of lead in the bow. The gas tank is in the rear so the less fuel the better and minimize what is stored in the rear of the boat. What prop is on it? Props can add wash build up. I ski a 2011 LXi all the time and its a very very good ski boat. My personal best is actually behind it.

Have pictures or video?

@barefoot1017 - Could you clarify your post, is the 2002 an LX as the LXI was introduced in 2003 IIRC, and is the 2008 an LX or an LXI per thread title.  The LX and LXI are different hulls with different characteristics.  As noted above, for either minimizing weight in the transom area will improve the slalom wake.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:10 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Try adding 150 pounds of lead in the bow. The gas tank is in the rear so the less fuel the better and minimize what is stored in the rear of the boat. What prop is on it? Props can add wash build up. I ski a 2011 LXi all the time and its a very very good ski boat. My personal best is actually behind it.

Have pictures or video?

I tried to put the only 2 people other than the driver in the front no change.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, Woodski said:

@barefoot1017 - Could you clarify your post, is the 2002 an LX as the LXI was introduced in 2003 IIRC, and is the 2008 an LX or an LXI per thread title.  The LX and LXI are different hulls with different characteristics.  As noted above, for either minimizing weight in the transom area will improve the slalom wake.

My 2002 was an LX 2008 is LXI I have never seen a ski boat with a wake like this. Prop is an ACME 525 13" x11.5

Just to put everything in order.

2002 response LX i loved the ski from this boat. Prop on this boat was ACME 525 13x11.5

Now 2008 response LXI terrible wake actually has a rooster tail. Prop on this boat is the one from above ACME 525 13x11.5.

I tried moving the wedge (power Wedge) I am sure this is not causing the issue. 

Tried almost no gas one person in the boat.

Tried full tank one driver one spotter. (in side seat)

Tried adjusting the rudder.

Tried 2 people in the front of the boat and one driver.

Tried skiing behind and infront of rooster tail.

Getting angry with Malibu. boat is beautiful hull is solid black a real head turner.

I am now thinking of getting a mastercraft or ski nautique.

ahopkins22LSV
17 minutes ago, barefoot1017 said:

I tried to put the only 2 people other than the driver in the front no change.

Do you have pictures or video? Something sounds wrong. Do you know the history of the boat? Any hull repair ever done? Previous owner try to surf the thing and leave a bunch of lead in the back? Does it have the wedge and it isn’t fully stowed so it’s just barely dragging?

I tried to add picture but dont know how. I checked the hull front to back looks great. When I bought the boat from the only other owner I have to say i trust the guy and he did not say he had any issues. He was an older man not a young kid.

That boat isn't known for having a great wake, but also, it's not known for being particularly bad either.  What speed are you guys skiing?

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
45 minutes ago, barefoot1017 said:

I tried to add picture but dont know how. I checked the hull front to back looks great. When I bought the boat from the only other owner I have to say i trust the guy and he did not say he had any issues. He was an older man not a young kid.

Link didn't work.  Its directing us to your C drive.

I heard the last generation of LXI (2007 to 2011) didn't have the best ski wake, but it was a certified ASWA boat.

As mentioned above what speed and rope lengths are you skiing at? (try skiing at -28 off and see how that is) A few other things to check...is there any water in the bilge? (When I purchased mine, the front D ring was leaking water and my idle out would allow a good amount of water to accumulate in the bilge. Another thing try to take the rear seat bottom out, that thing weighs about 40 lbs.  

The last thing I would do is contact OJ and tell them the speeds and rope lengths you are skiing.  Tell them your concern about the rooster tail.  A new prop will help, but I'm not sure how much.

I have an 07 LXI. It has a good wake for skiing. It's no match for the 14' flat hull outboards I grew up using, but it is a good wake. My understanding is that the LXI is a bit bigger and heavier than the LX. The wake is not the same because of this, but it is still a great wake for skiing. There was a bit of a learning curve when I picked up mine, there is a decent dip on either side of the wake - it was a bit of an adjustment to train myself to just cut through it...but, after a few times attacking the wake, you learn and start to enjoy it. 

Some things to consider:

The wedge needs to be 100% tucked up under the swim platform.
I won't ski with the gas tank filled over half. I also often take the booster seat and the rear bench seat out.
Make sure your storage compartments are empty, except for the essentials (life jackets, paddle, etc).
Make sure the engine compartment/bilge area is free of water.
Make sure the floor compartment in the nose is free of water.
Only have the driver and spotter in the boat.
Verify that your speedometer is relatively close to being accurate (use a gps app on your phone)
Only use the slalom ski poll to fix your ski rope.
Have your spotter sit in the bow.