Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mooring Options for 2020 VLX

skisurf

Recently purchased a 2020 21 VLX and am greatly enjoying it. We have mooring whips on our dock that we used with our previous malibu that made things pretty convenient. However, the forward cleat is positioned too far from the bow to hook up the mooring whips without the rope rubbing on the bimini top. Anyone have any ideas on options (modifications to this set, other mooring methods) I have to make this work. See the pictures.

wzK5FlZ.jpg

I've dealt with this.  Angle the mooring whip (remount it) towards the bow.  That way  it will clear the bimini.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
4 hours ago, tbullard said:

Could install another set of cleats further forward ahead of the windshield.

This is the best option. I have also used the bow eye in the past. But its much less convenient.

Depending on wave action, a pool noodle would be cut through in a matter of days, and leave a big mess all over the bimini and boat. 

I go to go with @Eagleboy99. Move it forward and work off of the bow eye. Not ideal for a single person job, but it will be an easy reach to hook it up for even a kid. The Bimini hoops will take little to no abuse w/o bending and that rope will most likely crush it as is, noodle or not. I have already had to pull my Bimini hoops and straighten them out due to them getting bent by merely pushing them back into the stowed position. It didn't help that there was metal on metal contact and friction with the slider covers and the Bimini poles. That problem has since been remedied with HDPE pads and works like a champ, quieter too!