Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Feet!!

braindamage

First sunrise set of the season. Air 48, water 60. In Wi it’s common for cold air in the morning, even through the summer months. I have been using my heavy wool socks, but they are very threadbare.

i don’t mind the wool socks, but they are cold when wet and hard to get on when I’m still damp from drying off.

I’d like to get some new ideas on how to keep my feet warm and dry. Any suggestions?

first world problems...I know...🙂

For the socks, I think of cold hunting mornings. If you had some larger boots, you could have some of the foot/hand warmers at the bottom of the boots and that would warm up your feet fast once you put them in the boots?

Another thought to help with cold mornings....I have been wanting to add a hot shower in my boat since we surf late Fall and early Spring. The hardest part is not getting into the water the first time...its putting the cold life jacket or wetsuit top back on for set#2! I didn't want to buy an entire kit that included a pump, wiring, etc. Not only are they expensive but also fairly involved to install it all. Anyway I decided to try something different and bought a few brass fittings at Lowes, I basically just removed a 3/4" raw water engine plug at the bottom of my exhaust riser and installed a few fittings with one being a shut off so I had a way to shut the water off at the engine if something happened to the hose and then also of course where water would come out at end of the hose on the swim platform. 1/2" fits normal shower hoses, etc.... 3/4" fit garden hose fittings, so lots of ways to DIY a hose/sprayer. I wasnt sure if there would be enough pressure for a normal garden hose/sprayer since nothing is pumping the water to create added pressure. I started off with a 3/8" inside dimension hose due to that.

Long story short, while there is not a ton of pressure and I wont be taking any "showers"....I get a steady stream of hot water that is perfect to dump over a cold life jacket, wetsuit or whatever. Since I am not doing a mixing valve, I cant adjust it to make the temp exact....but that doesnt matter for what I wanted (FYI..I first tried using the engine plug drain at the heat exchanger since its higher up on the engine, but it did not get quite hot enough at idle). Anyway, it was simple & fairly quick to install. Maybe worth trying for you? I think besides the heater this is going to be very nice to have when water is cold, should keep us out longer on those chilly days.

• Like 1

I have always thought UGG’s were pointless and stinky/nasty for anyone who would choose to use them.......  Until a friend gave me a pair of UGG slippers specifically because my feet freeze when early/late riding.

They changed my life. Get out of water, do a quick dry off, throw the slippers on. Warm feet in a flash.

• Like 2

I used to use Moccasins in WI. Out here in winter I just aim the heater vent right at my feet. I also dump a cup of hot water in my boots before set 2.