Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Milky Oil. Temp gauge never showed hot.

Had a small leak by the drive shaft packing and was taking on a little water. Bilge didn’t seem to be working.  Had a low voltage alert a few times. Get it on the trailer and oil is milky. (That’s not good) temp gauge never showed hot though! Ugh!! How bad is that?

52 minutes ago, AarMorr said:

Had a small leak by the drive shaft packing and was taking on a little water. Bilge didn’t seem to be working.  Had a low voltage alert a few times. Get it on the trailer and oil is milky. (That’s not good) temp gauge never showed hot though! Ugh!! How bad is that?

How high did the water get in the bilge?   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, justgary said:

Did you get a good freeze over the winter?

No.  It is kept inside foam insulated barn. 

11 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Milky oil is usually just from water in the oil, doesn’t really matter if it got hot. Either way, I’d be changing that oil asap.

Impeller, oil was all just changed for the new season. 

I think we need a few more details here to point you in the best direction. So far I think we have determined that the oil in your engine is milky. If that’s the case you need to change it and find out how/where the water got in. If you just discovered the oil was milky because you just changed it for the season, then you can move on to other steps to finding/ diagnosing your original issue.

Does the engine start?

Have you had it on the water yet?

Yes cranks right up.  We had it out yesterday for short amount of time. Got me worried.  Taking in first thing in the morning!

Now I'm confused.  Did you change the oil and find it milky, then go for a high water ride, or did you change the oil, take the boat out, and find milky oil after checking it over because of the high water?

Good that you are taking it in. Are you the first owner of the boat? What year is your Wakesetter? Open or closed cooling?

Take a close look at the exhaust riser and exhaust manifold condition paying special attention to the grey nylon fittings . Do the fittings appear to be damaged (melted) in any way that would indicate a prior overheating? If you are in Texas and the boat is stored in a barn it is unlikely to be related to condensation especially after a fresh oil change. To answer "how bad is that", this is generally in the "not good at all" category. Head gaskets / block.

Edited by Sride
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2nd owner. 2011 LSV 23’. Only 300 hours and maintain it really well.  I’m afraid it’s block/head gaskets.  Never had a single problem with it. 

If he has milky oil due to high water in the bilge, isn't the V-drive and transmission likely to have the same problems?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

If he has milky oil due to high water in the bilge, isn't the V-drive and transmission likely to have the same problems?

depends if the water in the bilge came from a crack in the block?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

depends if the water in the bilge came from a crack in the block?

I guess what I'm thinking is that if he had a low voltage alarm, does that mean the crankshaft pulley was below water and getting the belt wet causing it to slip?  If the water was up to the level of the crankshaft pulley wouldn't that cause issues with the other two components?  I think he should check those too.

1 hour ago, AarMorr said:

Unfortunately new motor time.  Not exactly sure what and how happened. :(

How do you know if you need a new one, do you know what is broken?

• Like 2

foam insulated barn would be no different than my attached garage to the house.  That baby could get in the teens and stay that way for weeks but I'm up north.  Why I added a heater in the garage and never looking back.  Still, if you didn't winterize or at least drop all the water in the block, you are very vulnerable to engine damage even down in TX.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious what diagnosis was? Head gasket or cracked head/block? Need to chk tranny also if you had too much water in bilge, could get into vent I think.