Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine ground location

djheywood

Can anyone preferably with a M6di engine explain or send a pic of the location of the engine ground?  I’m installing my ez turn (I’ll have an entire thread for that soon) and was looking for it briefly earlier and didn’t see it.

thanks

brian

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

On the M5 it is on the lower front portion of the port side. I found it by laying down in the storage compartment with both side panels off. 

Is that basically the "rear" end of the "right" head?  Or maybe just below the head, on the transmission bell?  Near the cannon plug?  That would be the first place I would look. 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

On the M5 it is on the lower front portion of the port side. I found it by laying down in the storage compartment with both side panels off. 

Same place on our M6

Great I’ll look there today.  I was in the starboard and stern side yesterday so that explains why I didn’t see it. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, djheywood said:

Great I’ll look there today.  I was in the starboard and stern side yesterday so that explains why I didn’t see it. Thanks. 

That's for a direct drive with the engine mounted *the correct direction*.  Your engine is backwards, so the "rear" of that head is forward and port.

3 hours ago, djheywood said:

Is this it?  Looks like it but wondering why there is a red wire on it.  

42CD3DA7-0038-48D6-9245-613F17413E32.jpeg

What is that?  Why does it have black and red wires on the same lug?  What is that?

What is that?

Well I gave up looking.  I just ran the black from my electronics to the negative terminal on my third battery, and ran a ground from the battery to the grounding block under the observer seat.  It was easier to get to and I didn't have to wonder lol.

Thanks all for the replies.

3 hours ago, djheywood said:

Well I gave up looking.  I just ran the black from my electronics to the negative terminal on my third battery, and ran a ground from the battery to the grounding block under the observer seat.  It was easier to get to and I didn't have to wonder lol.

Thanks all for the replies.

be prepared that if you get ground noise on any speakers while the engine is running, it is always "possible" that you could create a ground loop not running all your grounds to the same location.  You are probably fine but if you do get ground noise you will need to find that ground off the block and move it from 3rd battery to proper grounding location.  Grounds are so weird, you would think you can ground something to the factory buss bar or a battery should be fine, but there is always chance where it could cause a ground loop thus creating ground loop noise.  I could have sworn I uploaded these pics to this thread this morning but hey, maybe I'm losing my marbles too..

I know it's not the same engine, but most engines should apply for the ground location like @Woodski was trying to say:

just on the other side of the starter at the bellhousing bolt

IMG_4950.thumb.jpg.702f67a05d64078d2c7053e1795eab8a.jpg

a closer look

IMG_4949.thumb.jpg.d911fa832934dd2064e6beb7f7f2fd98.jpg

OK great, thanks for the picture.  Now that I know what I am looking for ill check again.  I'd rather ground to the engine if I can find it, I just got tired of looking.  and I definitely don't want any stereo feedback...

Thanks

Brian

• Like 1

I think I just found it.  Does this look right?  It’s in the location described above and only black wires.

D9C78365-464A-43EB-A7EA-10C949B660A6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

On my 2016 Malibu Wakesetter 440/450 Raptor, the main ground from the battery runs directly to and attaches to the starter while the positive wire from the battery attaches to a positive post on the port side of the boat at the level of floor of the storage compartment inside of the front of the engine compartment.  Does anyone else have this?

22 hours ago, Setter2016 said:

On my 2016 Malibu Wakesetter 440/450 Raptor, the main ground from the battery runs directly to and attaches to the starter while the positive wire from the battery attaches to a positive post on the port side of the boat at the level of floor of the storage compartment inside of the front of the engine compartment.  Does anyone else have this?

I would say you had better check that with a meter.  I don't think there's any way that your starter lug is not tied to the battery positive post. 

I note that you didn't say "starter lug," you said, "starter."  If the negative wire is bolted to a starter housing bolt (e.g. the engine bell housing), that's OK.  But the positive wire will go to the lug on the starter.

Sorry, I should clarify.  Red and black thick battery cables run from the battery area under the front passenger seat that is directly across from the drivers seat into engine compartment.  The black negative cable then runs straight with no breaks to the engine ground which is on the side  of the engine down low that is closest to the front of the boat.  The red positive cable pops up in the area of the engine compartment that is closest to the portion of the engine that is closest to the front of the boat and attaches to a red positive post.  On said red positive post, there is a red cable that runs to the alternator and there is another red cable that runs to the starter.  I hope this helps.