Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New style PTM Clamping release button issues. Anyone else?

jason427

New 2020 23 LSV. 

I came from a 2018 23 LSV and the release button for clamping rack was aluminum knob. Worked great. On my new 2020 the PTM's have a plastic button that gets stuck here in the FL humidity. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure if it is a clearance issue or spring not strong enough. 

Anyone else have issues?

Jason

42 minutes ago, jason427 said:

New 2020 23 LSV. 

I came from a 2018 23 LSV and the release button for clamping rack was aluminum knob. Worked great. On my new 2020 the PTM's have a plastic button that gets stuck here in the FL humidity. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure if it is a clearance issue or spring not strong enough. 

Anyone else have issues?

Jason

Does it stick in the released position, or is it difficult to release? 
When I got my 19, the release was hard to push. Don’t be afraid to sharply hit them. Mine have loosened up and work great now. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jeffnrivercity said:

Mine are real hard to push....you almost have to bang them

Keep using them they will loosen up. Mine were difficult even stuck a time or two and after a few months last year they now work great!! 

• Like 1
On 5/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, jason427 said:

Sticks when pushed. I talked to PTM and looks like they changed the style and are sending me updated buttons. Hope this helps. 

Mine are sticking in the release position (button pressed in) as well.  I may need to reach out to PTM.  Thanks for finding a solution to this minor annoyance!

14 hours ago, riffraff said:

Mine are sticking in the release position (button pressed in) as well.  I may need to reach out to PTM.  Thanks for finding a solution to this minor annoyance!

So you cannot pull them to lock the boards? 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2020s have been loosening up but I have to hit them with my palm, no pushing. The spring release knob is what is worse for me. No way can my wife and kids pull the knob release. I barely can but only when I eat my Wheaties. Someone told me the factory put loctite in there. 

ahopkins22LSV

Is everyone cranking down crazy hard when clamping the boards in? I’ve found you don’t need to clamp them down super tight and that makes releasing the clamps drastically easier. 

My '19 had an issue and the dealer just swapped the entire rack out.  Sounds very similar to what you are dealing with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 6:25 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Is everyone cranking down crazy hard when clamping the boards in? I’ve found you don’t need to clamp them down super tight and that makes releasing the clamps drastically easier. 

That is true...But I do crank them down...seems if you don't, my boards tend to shift and start to come loose at higher speeds..(and no, I don't tow with the the boards in the rack)

Had the same issue on mine. Worked WD40 into them as two had completely locked up (I got these used from a friend). I reached out to PTM and they sent the button update parts, but hasnt been worth the time yet as they are still working (just have to palm hit them to release). Going to apply WD40 again and hope they just stay functional till the off season. 

• 2 years later...

I'm having the exact same issue as the OP. But out of the four racks we have its just one button will get stuck when pushed. Have to try and grab the little stub and wiggle/turn it while pulling. Almost like either the plastic button or the machined hole is sized incorrectly. 

Contacted PTM directly Via email. I got a response back right away saying they would send me out a new style release button that fixes this issue. Or I could send the racks in. Also included in the email was this how to video. Extremely pleased with PTM. Button replacement looks pretty easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you guys on this. From the time I contacted them to receiving the new buttons was only 6 days. Pretty impressive. As you can see the buttons are different. I asked about removing the little nipple and I was advised they are ready to install as is. This was all free btw. The new hardware and thread locker was a nice bonus too. You'll probably need it. The hardware does not come out all that easy. 

Tried to post pics but any URL generator i used would not work. When will this site get with the program?! 

30 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

Just wanted to update you guys on this. From the time I contacted them to receiving the new buttons was only 6 days. Pretty impressive. As you can see the buttons are different. I asked about removing the little nipple and I was advised they are ready to install as is. This was all free btw. The new hardware and thread locker was a nice bonus too. You'll probably need it. The hardware does not come out all that easy. 

Tried to post pics but any URL generator i used would not work. When will this site get with the program?! 

@yotaisgame

What are you looking for the site to do? If you aren't a Supporter, you'll need to link the images in from another hosting site.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

@yotaisgame

What are you looking for the site to do? If you aren't a Supporter, you'll need to link the images in from another hosting site.

Be able to post pics directly from the forum. I'm apart of plenty forums and this is the only one where that's not possible. Little advertising never hurt anyone.