Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Malibu Purchase Question

jboyd691

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a used wake/surf boat and my budget has been about 30k. I came across an 06 VLX an older guy has had and is willing to let go for 25k. He only has put 180 hours on it since new, however it has sat still in Florida (in a shrink wrap) for 2 years. Interior is in awesome shape and it has the 3 stock ballast as well as 2 added ballast, along with tower, bimini top, etc...

I'm a younger kid and don't want to wast money, so I am wondering if you experienced guys could help me decide if it seems like a decent deal? Also, what are some things that I may need to look out for after it has been sitting?

I am just trying to save myself from getting in a bad situation.

Thanks.

Get it to a marine mechanic to have the engine checked out.  A on the water test to see that there are no major issues is a must.  

The engine check should include a compression check and they can verify the hours on the engine.

Make sure to change all the fluids, engine oil, transmission and v-drive fluids as well.

How old are the trailer tires?

Thanks for the info. Its actually on consignment at a dealership so they have serviced the boat and put a new impeller on as well.

The trailer tires are just a couple years old.

So an 06 with that low hours that has been in storage in florida for several years could be great. Personally i would insist on, and pay for an independent check of the engine and drive train, full compression check, and a water test. 

I have flown all over to look at boats that i was told were in perfect running order, only to find boats that wouldn't run, were missing pieces, or had obvious damage. A qualified marine surveyor would charge a few hundred bucks, but at least you would know if its worth your time / money to buy it. 

In the pre-covid days, many of us would be happy to take a look with you, or for you if you are far away. Now, well, some still might...

1 hour ago, jboyd691 said:

Thanks for the info. Its actually on consignment at a dealership so they have serviced the boat and put a new impeller on as well.

The trailer tires are just a couple years old.

So did the dealer do a compression and water test?  Or, did they just change the oil.  There is a BIG difference.......

54 minutes ago, asnowman said:

So an 06 with that low hours that has been in storage in florida for several years could be great. Personally i would insist on, and pay for an independent check of the engine and drive train, full compression check, and a water test. 

I have flown all over to look at boats that i was told were in perfect running order, only to find boats that wouldn't run, were missing pieces, or had obvious damage. A qualified marine surveyor would charge a few hundred bucks, but at least you would know if its worth your time / money to buy it. 

In the pre-covid days, many of us would be happy to take a look with you, or for you if you are far away. Now, well, some still might...

Yes I think I am going to do a water test myself and have the shop do a compression check with me there. Just not sure what to look for other than that, or if it’s even a good deal in the first place.

32 minutes ago, dlb said:

So did the dealer do a compression and water test?  Or, did they just change the oil.  There is a BIG difference.......

They did a service I’m not sure of the other things. I think I will go water test it and have them do a comp check when I’m there. However I don’t want to go waste their time and mine if it isn’t a decent deal

8 minutes ago, jboyd691 said:

They did a service I’m not sure of the other things. I think I will go water test it and have them do a comp check when I’m there. However I don’t want to go waste their time and mine if it isn’t a decent deal

We love pictures here, and can usually tell you a pretty good amount about a boat from some good pics. 

But a good condition 06 vlx at 25k does sound like a good deal. We sold our 02 in 2011 for nearly that price. And i would confidently list our 05 response Lxi about there, if i had to, fwiw.

Edited by asnowman
Typo

I encourage you to get this deal done after heeding the advice from those who have offered. It sounds like a hidden gem. You will love it if it tests. It’s a very solid deal IMO. 

Only advice I can offer is that with it sitting that long, drain the existing fuel and have the injectors checked out during the compression test. 

Enjoy the find!  

• Like 2

If I knew how to add pics I would but I don’t lol.

the boat is in good shape, all interior is mint, no sun damage on anything the dash switches still look new. The outside (where the shrink wrap ended) will need buffer and waxed, but I’m not scared to put some sweat equity into a good deal

I sold my ‘02 WSLSV for $28K.  At the price this is offered and what you described about the interior etc, if the mechanicals check out, buy it!

25k is a steal as long as it wasn’t a salt water boat.  I’d have a compression test,  then water test it.  As long as that checked out I wouldn’t care about trailer condition, cover, etc at that price.  You have a link to it? 

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
Spelling
8 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

25k is a steal as long as it wasn’t a salt water boat.  I’d have a compression test,  then water test it.  As long as that checked out I wouldn’t care about trailer condition, cover, etc at that price.  You have a link to it? 

@jboyd691 Buy it. Now. Today.
Do this:

And this;

Then take the extra budget and buy this

then enjoy!:surfing:

Edited by braindamage

Hi all, first time poster, after reading your forums, I'm considering buying a '99 sunsetter LX or LXI. My preference is the LXI since I slalom. I've always skied behind an outboard deck boat, so I'm used to/fed up of a large wake. I've identified two boats in my area, both 1999s, the LXI is in rough shape. Lots of rust in the engine bay, the boat looks like it was abused. Asking is $22K CAD (no trailer). The 2nd boat is the LX which I haven't visited yet, but from the pictures looks like it is better maintained. Asking $18K CAD (including trailer). 

I would like your opinions on:

1) Is the LXI hull really worth it for someone who mainly freeskis?

2) Does the LX hull offer a good slalom wake? 

3) Thoughts on the LX slalom wake vs. Nautique 206 wake? 

Thanks! 

in boats that old, condition is king.  if there are signs of neglect and lack of maintenance, I would steer clear. unless you know and accept that you will be doing major repairs, and that is reflected in the purchase price.

if you have the space and are mechanically inclined, a boat that needs rehab can be a good investment, but not if it comes as a surprise.

10 hours ago, pmm009 said:

Hi all, first time poster, after reading your forums, I'm considering buying a '99 sunsetter LX or LXI. My preference is the LXI since I slalom. I've always skied behind an outboard deck boat, so I'm used to/fed up of a large wake. I've identified two boats in my area, both 1999s, the LXI is in rough shape. Lots of rust in the engine bay, the boat looks like it was abused. Asking is $22K CAD (no trailer). The 2nd boat is the LX which I haven't visited yet, but from the pictures looks like it is better maintained. Asking $18K CAD (including trailer). 

I would like your opinions on:

1) Is the LXI hull really worth it for someone who mainly freeskis?

2) Does the LX hull offer a good slalom wake? 

3) Thoughts on the LX slalom wake vs. Nautique 206 wake? 

Thanks! 

I can only speak to the LXi I have an ‘00 and it’s a great ski boat. I would be concerned about the price given your description. Do you have any pics?

like @kylesullens said, if you are mechanically inclined and willing to put in the work, then a boat in need can be a great thing. The price of an abused ‘99 SSLXi should be closer to $12k US in my opinion. A well maintained one should go for $20k.

17 hours ago, braindamage said:

I can only speak to the LXi I have an ‘00 and it’s a great ski boat. I would be concerned about the price given your description. Do you have any pics?

like @kylesullens said, if you are mechanically inclined and willing to put in the work, then a boat in need can be a great thing. The price of an abused ‘99 SSLXi should be closer to $12k US in my opinion. A well maintained one should go for $20k.

Hi, I just visited a 2nd LXi in my area, same year '99. Very clean engine but it looks like there was some work on the hull. You can see some discoloration in the pictures. Think it is worth moving ahead? Or is the discoloration a major red flag? Thanks! 

1. https://photos.app.goo.gl/i9n1oezZK4LMA2FQ9  '99 Sunsetter (Clean engine, but hull work)

2. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jPYMnb8z9EyZCUwNA Original '99 Sunsetter (with rust)

I'm seriously considering buying the one with the clean engine if the hull isn't a big issue. Everything else in the boat is in really good shape. 

Let me know what you guys think! THANKS!

formulaben

It's a shame they couldn't match the hull color better, but for me I'd definitely take that versus engine rust.  Seeing all that rust makes me worry about the entire electrical system. :shocked:

16 minutes ago, pmm009 said:

Hi, I just visited a 2nd LXi in my area, same year '99. Very clean engine but it looks like there was some work on the hull. You can see some discoloration in the pictures. Think it is worth moving ahead? Or is the discoloration a major red flag? Thanks! 

1. https://photos.app.goo.gl/i9n1oezZK4LMA2FQ9  '99 Sunsetter (Clean engine, but hull work)

2. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jPYMnb8z9EyZCUwNA Original '99 Sunsetter (with rust)

I'm seriously considering buying the one with the clean engine if the hull isn't a big issue. Everything else in the boat is in really good shape. 

Let me know what you guys think! THANKS!

As long as the gel coat isn’t soft I wouldn’t worry about it. The other stuff can be take off by this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis-instruments--fsr-fiberglass-stain-remover-16-oz--108753?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Product%20Type-_-108753&product_id=108753&creative=108421551244&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdGaweup6QIVef_jBx0ISA-JEAQYASABEgLbPfD_BwE

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

It's a shame they couldn't match the hull color better, but for me I'd definitely take that versus engine rust.  Seeing all that rust makes me worry about the entire electrical system. :shocked:

:plus1: and that repair looks like it is below the water line so the only time it would be visible is on the hoist/trailer. 

57 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

:plus1: and that repair looks like it is below the water line so the only time it would be visible is on the hoist/trailer. 

So the repair looks solid and shouldn't be a concern? I'm not worried about the cosmetics. There is a small chip in the hull that you can see in one picture. 

I spoke with two inspectors, one who does the boat survey (checks the hull for osmosis and humidity), the 2nd does the mechanical out of water test (compression, transmission, etc). I will be doing my own on water test. Do you guys think that both inspectors are necessary? Or can I skip one of them? (link to photos again for reference).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i9n1oezZK4LMA2FQ9    '99 Sunsetter (Clean engine, but hull work)

Thanks again! 

ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, pmm009 said:

So the repair looks solid and shouldn't be a concern? I'm not worried about the cosmetics. There is a small chip in the hull that you can see in one picture. 

I spoke with two inspectors, one who does the boat survey (checks the hull for osmosis and humidity), the 2nd does the mechanical out of water test (compression, transmission, etc). I will be doing my own on water test. Do you guys think that both inspectors are necessary? Or can I skip one of them? (link to photos again for reference).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i9n1oezZK4LMA2FQ9    '99 Sunsetter (Clean engine, but hull work)

Thanks again! 

To me it looks like they just repaired gel coat with the wrong color. Knock on it and make sure it feels and sounds as solid as the areas around it. If it’s just a different color and feels/sounds solid then it’s just a cosmetic thing. 

Here is a basic used boat buying guide that was out together here: