Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'04 RLxi Exhaust Hose Deteriorating - replacement process?

Hello forum members,

Been away for a while but could use a hand from the experts. I finally found my leak!  2004 Response LXI with 340 Monsoon. My straight exhaust hose from the Primex Muffler to the Transom, along the whole bottom of that hose feels squishy, and is leaking pretty good on the Port side.

2 questions:

- this whole chain from the transom to the exhaust manifold seems like a sequential operation, is it even going to be possible to bend any of this hose enough to get it off the muffler or am I going to have to remove the exhaust manifold from the motor, then maybe I can pull the assembly enough forward to free up the exhaust hose downstream from the muffler? It is tight in there with the HDS, gas tank, rudder and stringers.

- any tricks for getting the 2 hose clamps off at the transom exhaust flange on the Starboard side? Too tight for any human arm to get back the 2 feet. I read another post re: a sunsetter where he had to raise the gas tank after gaining access to it in order to allow clearance. The hose clamps are oriented straight up.  Is the tank flush with the transom or is there clearance from the top through the ski locker to get at those clamps?

I am going to replace both straight hoses to the transom. My hoses from the exhaust manifold to the muffler are corrugated and seem in very good condition.

Appreciate thoughts / tips. Need the boat going soon!!

I can't answer your question about what to remove to get access, but I would go ahead and change *all* of the exhaust hoses and the fuel lines.  Neither is something you really want leaking.  I even changed the fuel filler hose since I had my tank out.

• Like 2

Well, That was character building 

I ended up having to take the starboard exhaust manifold off just to make things easier 

Getting it back together shouldn’t be as difficult.

Loosen all muffler hose clamps and remove

spray soapy water everywhere

use 90 degree hose free-er upper from harbor freight On every muffler joint until it will twist freely

remove 2” crossover hose by rotating mufflers both so the crossover flanges are pointing up 30-45 degrees and the hose can be pulled off

the port side had enough play that I could pull on the front of the muffler up and in and it cleared the downpipe 

starboard hoses were longer no way I could work it out without compromising the fiberglass muffler so easier for me to pull the bolts on the exhaust manifold and tug it forward to create space for muffler to clear the very stiff corrugated hose with wire

with both mufflers out easier to reach back with very long extension and 90 degree socket thingy to undo hose clamps at the stern. On the lxi  the gas tank comes down a few inches and it is really hard to reach back to undo the hose clamps on starboard side I was up to my armpit.

new hoses on way from skidim 

I don’t think I can post a pic but holy cow both mufflers have completely worn through the black part of the hull liner due to years of vibration and I see the fiberglass. It’s still plenty strong but I will have to maybe wedge some rubber in there for the muffler to sit on so it won’t do further damage. Worth a check or just wedge something in there to be safe?

• Like 3

I was surprised to not find a gasket under the exhaust manifold, has anyone had experience putting these on? Gasket or rtv? Torque spec?

Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Green_Giant said:

I was surprised to not find a gasket under the exhaust manifold, has anyone had experience putting these on? Gasket or rtv? Torque spec?

Thanks 

Mine did not have a gasket, it also leaked some exhaust. I added a gasket when I replaced the manifolds. Check the Bakes Resource Library  for specs. 

3DBAE96E-086C-42D9-858A-D69C1DDF7E2C.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat

Don’t know why the hose went bad but the bottom of both was quite soft compared to the rest of the hose, maybe because it has been wet for the last 16 years coupled with the rubbing against e hull, dunno but they both were ready for replacement. I think I have 850 hours give or take.

this is a gm vortec from early 2000’s? Trying to hone in on a gasket part number from auto parts store or may just use the black rtv, weather is looking good for this weekend.

8 hours ago, Green_Giant said:

Don’t know why the hose went bad but the bottom of both was quite soft compared to the rest of the hose, maybe because it has been wet for the last 16 years coupled with the rubbing against e hull, dunno but they both were ready for replacement. I think I have 850 hours give or take.

this is a gm vortec from early 2000’s? Trying to hone in on a gasket part number from auto parts store or may just use the black rtv, weather is looking good for this weekend.

Gaskets are inexpensive and easy to find for the 5.7.  These are sets I have used before (obviously you won't need the riser gaskets):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IVPT42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009TS9QE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok got’er all put back together exhaust is sealed up good. Of course found there were two leaks the hot shower fitting had also cracked so bakes helped me with some new fittings should be good to go skiing this weekend!

Do you keep your boat on the water?  When I installed my ghetto downturns, I had a look up my exhaust ports and it seemed like everything was good from the back of the boat to the mufflers, but I didn't feel around for squishy hoses.

I am dealing with delaminating on my hoses from my risers to the mufflers though and will be looking to replace.

Don’t keep it on the water, either on a lift during summer or on land but it was obvious by just feeling from the inside of the boat and pushing on the underneath of the hose. 

I gave mine a squeeze last night and while they do feel a little bit softer on the bottom than the sides, it's not by a huge amount. 

BTW if your mufflers are rubbing on the bilge liner, you are missing the rubber pads Malibu glued in place to stop that from happening. Mine don't stay put anymore either so I glued some foam window insulation to the bottom of my mufflers. Will see if it holds. 

Ya I didn’t see any evidence of foam feet. I used a section of the old hose and zip tied it around the muffler to provide a little cushion.