Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DUAL SUBS: Factory vs. Aftermarket

IXFE

I haven't had an aftermarket stereo since I was in college, but this thread kinda makes me want to put a booming system in my boat, just because... only bummer is it'd literally never ever get used unless I was working on the boat itself in the garage... lol

Awesome!  Looking to do a similar setup, just debating over a 1200/1 dual 12w6 or 750/1 single 12W6....  very interested on what you think after it’s all tuned in.   Have you thought about adding a third battery?  Is there room up front or will you have to relocate?

16 hours ago, asnowman said:

@IXFE, that looks tremendous,  but the real question... how does it sound while on the water!? Double 12w6's has got to thump something fierce!

It’s pretty sweet. Definitely the best sub woofer setup I’ve had on all my boats. I’m not a big fan of ported subs, so this dual 12W6 setup to me is like the output of a ported sub with the punchy and musical sound I like from a sealed sub. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2022 at 6:09 PM, IXFE said:

I’ve now done this project two more times! I no longer have to run the factory grill spaced out like that. 

I’m sure you’ve answered this a ton, and I still must ask. What situation has led you to buying so many new boats and stereos? The slight depreciation off new retail plus stereo would seem to be a reasonable financial hit.

if you have a good price deal on new boat, I guess it could just be a few thousand each each, but sales tax comes into play on larger boats, so at least $10-20k annual running cost to swap ?

On 7/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, IXFE said:

I’ve now done this project two more times! I no longer have to run the factory grill spaced out like that. 

Let’s some pics of your latest project !

• 1 month later...

With a small crew when we crank it up I like to open the door or slide a towel in the base to let it breathe a bit.

The JL1200 and 2 12-w6 is by far the best option IMHO 

there's little to no space given up in the OB compartment and it’s double the fun.

197BE167-D939-4352-AC87-274FC75C2CD6.jpeg

ED748CAA-C1CE-4CC2-AFA0-69ECD6E339A8.jpeg

• Like 2