Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater for TXi

braindamage

I bought a 3 port heater for my ‘12 TXi.

a couple questions:

1) does anyone know where to find the screws to remove the storage area next to the driver’s seat? I need to remove this to remove the kick plate.

2) anybody have an idea how to wire into the MTC? I can see how to enable for the touchscreen to control but don’t see where the power wires in.

9DD3F958-B7B7-4F44-BEB1-18DCA1C5F222.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV

Trying to think back to when I removed my drivers kick plate. Pretty sure there are 3 along the floor and 2 on the left side. I just kept searching with a screw driver. Helped taking out the drivers seat.

Not sure on connecting to the MTC.

I would suggest two pull out tubes in the kick plate and one fixed. That way the driver always has one and has two alot of the time :). Mine originally came with two fixed and 1 pullout in the walkway.  I added another pullout in the bottom left corner of the kick plate and left the one fixed. The fixed was routed up over the top of the kick plate on a bracket so it blew down onto your feet which was nice. I'd stack the two pullouts in the bottom left corner.

@ahopkinsVTX I plan to remove the seat and install a swivel while it’s off. More on that in a future thread.

wildo on the searching. I replaced the entire interior on my SSLXi so I know that game. I was just hoping others had ideas.

My outlet plan is on to have one permanently blowing thru kick plate, one vent into bow walk thru that can be stretched to the spotter seat, and the 3rd routed along starboard gunnel for the rear seat. Worked well on my SSLXi. The TXi also has a driver seat heater, so there’s less of a need to have more heat there.

Edited by braindamage

When I installed my 3 port heater this spring, the wires were already hanging in the area where it installed. Only 2 wires from the boat and 4 on the heater. Only use the high speed wire and ground wire from heater and cap the low and medium wires. The screen will allow high and low speed wired this way just like factory. This is on an 18 model hope yours is the same.https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPUGZ2avlXPxio7s0S3HltYsxCCL8FaRu1vtE7M

8 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

When I installed my 3 port heater this spring, the wires were already hanging in the area where it installed. Only 2 wires from the boat and 4 on the heater. Only use the high speed wire and ground wire from heater and cap the low and medium wires. The screen will allow high and low speed wired this way just like factory. This is on an 18 model hope yours is the same.https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPUGZ2avlXPxio7s0S3HltYsxCCL8FaRu1vtE7M

I get an error when I try the link?

also-did you install a pump?

Edited by braindamage
12 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I get an error when I try the link?

also-did you install a pump?

Did install the Pump and went with the factory pump. Was told it was needed on the new Semi closed cooling power plants. Didn't want any problems with warranty do to something out side the box. Think it is a Johnson CM30.

On your 12 model it isn't necessary but nice to have.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, braindamage said:

@ahopkinsVTX I plan to remove the seat and install a swivel while it’s off. More on that in a future thread.

wildo on the searching. I replaced the entire interior on my SSLXi so I know that game. I was just hoping others had ideas.

My outlet plan is on to have one permanently blowing thru kick plate, one vent into bow walk thru that can be stretched to the spotter seat, and the 3rd routed along starboard gunnel for the rear seat. Worked well on my SSLXi. The TXi also has a driver seat heater, so there’s less of a need to have more heat there.

We had the walkway heater too. Honestly I found it useless other than warning towels or stuffing isn’t he windshield for a defroster. It barely reached the passenger seat. That was the main driving force for me to add a second pullout from the two fixed. I’d just double check the length to make sure it gets all the way to the passenger! I didn’t have the seat heater though. I can’t seem to feel it on my friends response so I’ve never ordered it. I also hide the fact that it’s an option from my wife lol.

5 minutes ago, braindamage said:

You mounted the pull-outs under your seat? Hmmmm....🤔

Yep reach back seat if needed. The one to the top right of the sub pulls out too. Much better than factory, solid one by driver.

They now put them under the drivers seat factory, but usually 1 there and solid one at drivers feet.

If I was going to all the trouble to install, had to out play factory, that's not usually hard to do.

Edited by dalt1
3 hours ago, braindamage said:

It's amazing how well they can bury screws in these boats... lol

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, braindamage said:

I’m not sure that’s and option. The TXi doesn’t have the same two piece hull construction that the new boats have.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m not sure that’s and option. The TXi doesn’t have the same two piece hull construction that the new boats have.

Does that mean that I can’t get inside the seat base? 

9 hours ago, braindamage said:

@dalt1 Did you still mount the heater box behind the kick plate?

Edited by braindamage
12 hours ago, braindamage said:

I bought a 3 port heater for my ‘12 TXi.

a couple questions:

1) does anyone know where to find the screws to remove the storage area next to the driver’s seat? I need to remove this to remove the kick plate.

2) anybody have an idea how to wire into the MTC? I can see how to enable for the touchscreen to control but don’t see where the power wires in.

9DD3F958-B7B7-4F44-BEB1-18DCA1C5F222.jpeg

@braindamage on my 2013 TXI:

1) There is a bracket inside the open portion of the storage area with two screws.  A third screw is along the top edge of the storage area attaching it to the kick plate. It is near the corner toward the inside of the boat. 

2) my heater is not connected to the MTC. It has a hi/low toggle switch under the throttle and above the circuit breakers. 

1) Don't know

2)  Like 4skinuts above, I have a hi/low toggle switch under throttle where my drivers seat heat switch  is.  I wouldn't want it ran through the MTC for reliability issues if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't discount putting a pull out in the walk thru for mounting convenience.  Depends on how you use your boat.  i.e. here,  it is usually just my wife and I.  That being said the boat is weighted such that it is perfectly level with just driver and skier.  Thus I really don't mind sitting on the driver side of the spotter seat with the heater hose in the heater sac she built and keep the boat level at all times (ADHD) when I finish a set.  You could use a longer hose.  Only drawback to being in the walk through is if someone gets in a hurry  (say to wipe the boat off on a lift again ADHD) and steps on the hose bending the wire.  Would be awesome if we had the space dalt1 has, after all, it is a slalom tug.

Can get you a pick of it under the helm if you need.

8 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Though I don’t know if I’ll need a separate circuit for the pump or if the breaker can handle both blower and pump?

If it can handle the blower on full whack, the pump shouldn't push it over the edge if using the little pump I use.  It's designed to be driven from a small solar panel.

Seeing it...I now agree that it won’t take much current. I also understand why @UWSkier calls it his “little” pump. 😁

doesn’t take much to pump water!!

6752E9B9-FA7E-43F6-BFAC-37D3BFCBCFA6.jpeg

Edited by braindamage
On 4/30/2020 at 5:28 PM, braindamage said:

You guys are harshin’ my mellow!! I’d like to try the MTC first before I go to the manual switch. 😢

When I ordered my ‘13 TXi with factory heater ... they installed the manual switch underneath the throttle. Reason? They only use 1 mux under the dash ... both the 2 from the wakeboard boats. The heater is in the missing mux.  I talked to Malibu and said that I was expecting all the switched to be on the touch screens.  Took a little convincing but they covered the installation of the 2nd mux and the rewiring by my dealer — the discussion was around the way they had said every thing was on the MTC ... strangely though none of the MTCs has the heated drivers seat option. That is still a manual switch on my boat.

@braindamage good luck ... you may not be able to hook it up unless they changed the setup from ‘13.

The kit I got from the dealer didn’t include the pull-out heater vents either. Oh well...I’ll order them and do next weekend.

ill lay it out today and see if I can find the electric controls from the MTC.