Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ethanol free premium gas

Hi everyone, been gone for a while but might be about to rejoin the Malibu/Axis family. I am considering buying an A22 with LS3 motor. I have always run ethanol free gas in my boats but LS3 requires 91+ octane. Only ethanol free gas near me is 89. Is the solution just to use sta-bil? Boat will be used regularly but it will probably still sit during the off season. How do you LS3 and LSA guys deal with it?   

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

It’s not a requirement to run ethanol free. All modern boat engines going back probably a decade or more have been designed to run on standard pump gas. Just run the octane that the manual suggests. 

I don't like letting ethanol gas sit in the tank for long even if it runs fine; it will still attract water/condensation over the winter.  Before storage I'd run ethanol free and add octane booster if needed and use stabil or something similar.  

19 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s not a requirement to run ethanol free. All modern boat engines going back probably a decade or more have been designed to run on standard pump gas. Just run the octane that the manual suggests. 

Yeah i know its not required, I just have seen first hand how corn gas can attract water if it sits so I try to avoid it. 

15 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I don't like letting ethanol gas sit in the tank for long even if it runs fine; it will still attract water/condensation over the winter.  Before storage I'd run ethanol free and add octane booster if needed and use stabil or something similar.  

Agreed. I will def. use Sta-bil over off season. I just haven't ever seen ethanol free premium gas so I guess I don't have any other option. 

Meh.  I store over 100 gallons of ethanol gas over each summer and winter season.  Good quality gas comes with plenty of stabilizers.  I park the boats, bike, cars, snowmobiles and power equipment with nothing but fuel from the pump and use them 6 months later.  

Edited by oldjeep

Pure-gas.org shows a few stations with 90 no ethanol in Jacksonville, but I don't see 91 or higher.  Try asking a station if they would consider carrying it. 

We have several with 93, but I'm about 5 hours west of you....

On 4/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yup.  My 2000 Indmar manual says 10% ethanol is fine. 

• Like 1