Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 21 VLX Coolant Change Cycle...

WhiteWaterWeb

Hi all - I hope you are all staying safe and hanging in there; crazy days indeed. I'm a Canadian who is lucky enough to be able to get his boat in the water this spring/summer season (with everything being locked down) but getting a coolant change via a certified mechanic might be difficult. I take crazy good care of the boat and all other maintenance is done on it, but Malibu recommends a coolant change every two years. The boat is a 2018 and only has about 95 hours on it...can I get it in the water and do it later when things open up?

I don't want to risk doing anything more than cleaning my boat by me - I let licensed mechanics do all of the other stuff.

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers.

Jody

ahopkins22LSV

Do you change the coolant in your car/truck every two years? 

I think that frequency is a bit extreme. As long as it’s not low and or smells burnt I wouldn’t worry about it. 

I went five years with my old fashioned green coolant, and I mainly did it to keep up with rust protection, which seems to me to break down first. 

I understand that I don't need winter protection like some of you do. 

my boat is closed cooled and I don't change every 2 years.  I think 5 years is more reasonable.   All i do at the end of the year is check the freeze protection level and if it's good i call it good.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do you change the coolant in your car/truck every two years? 

I think that frequency is a bit extreme. As long as it’s not low and or smells burnt I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Ok, thanks. And I agree...I called a Malibu dealer and they said they never do it - not sure why Malibu says to do it in the regular maintenance schedule. Take care.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, what does everyone use for coolant? Is there a propylene glycol option out there that is not made by Indmar, but is a good substitute? 

Thanks.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:42 AM, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Hi all, what does everyone use for coolant? Is there a propylene glycol option out there that is not made by Indmar, but is a good substitute? 

Thanks.

Peak Seirra is compatible but green not pink. It will mix fine. I added a heater this year and took several days to get this answer when I ask it. Had to add about a gallon to fill my new heater lines and core after install.