Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXI model year differences?

Badger

has th PO been trailering frequently? If not, then if they are more than 5 years old, I’d go directly to a tire shop, replace them, pack bearings, check brakes.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, braindamage said:

has th PO been trailering frequently? If not, then if they are more than 5 years old, I’d go directly to a tire shop, replace them, pack bearings, check brakes.

That's what I was thinking too, just do it and be done with it all, leaving time in your trip to make that stop happen sometime around noon.  Especially if its a single axle.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Knock on wood, I may have bought a boat that I will inspect and drive home tomorrow.  (I will tell you more about it, after it's hitched to the back of my truck and I'm driving away with it.)  

I'm sure this is out there if I search a bit harder, but it's a bit of a road trip and looking for suggestions on what to bring with me, as I'm unsure of the trailer condition.  I don't typically trailer a boat so want to make sure I'm prepared.  Mostly worried about dry rotted tires and a blowout on the way home.  I will definitely take my time on the freeway.  I'm planning on renting a truck from Enterprise to tow with.

Hitches - straight and drop, harness adapters, lock for the trailer.

Floor jack, tire iron, blocks of wood, wheel chock, jack stands - I don't have a spare tire, but searching to see if I can borrow one, I did get the tire size from the owner.

Air compressor with extension cord

tool box - wrenches, BFH, socket set, ratchet straps

I plan to take everything I can out of the boat and put in the truck to prevent stuff from blowing out.

What am I missing?

I'd ask for the date code on the tires and if they're more than 5 years old, make an appointment at a local tire shop to get them swapped before driving home.  That or run to the local tractor supply or other store and buy a PAIR of cheap steelies with tires already mounted and swap them before the return trip.  The thing with blowouts is when one happens, the other will happen within a thousand miles almost like clockwork.

EDIT:  And I see that since I opened this thread an hour ago, others have responded with the same advice...  :)

Edited by UWSkier

OK guys, I'll heed your advice.  Appt has been made at Belle Tire.  Literally after this trip, the trailer will be used for 4 miles per year, so can I be a cheap skate and get the Freestar Trailer Kings for $310 for a set of 4?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Badger said:

OK guys, I'll heed your advice.  Appt has been made at Belle Tire.  Literally after this trip, the trailer will be used for 4 miles per year, so can I be a cheap skate and get the Freestar Trailer Kings for $310 for a set of 4?

That'd be fine for the next couple years.  I've been running a set of cheapie TowMax Power Kings since late 2018 when I bought a boat in Oregon and needed new rubber.  My trailer does about 120 miles a week usually.

That said, I have an appointment to put on the Goodyears I got last month in a couple weeks.

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm guessing I should put insurance on it before I get on the road?

I would. Ski safe will probably have it done in a 10-20 minute phone call. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Badger said:

Actually the advice was to first get the dates from the tires and go from there, was he able to provide that?  

If you'd rather not bug him about it then yes, that's what I would do if I were you.  Heck, I only haul about 500 miles per year and I might do those too pretty soon.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:28 PM, Badger said:

Do any of you owners of Sunsetters or other boats in the same 2000-ish era have an issue with a sagging floor from the motor box back towards the rear seats?

02 owner. Rear floor solid.

Steve B.

@Badger make sure the vehicle you plan to rent actually has a hitch.  I tried this several years ago, and they had removed the hitch, or locked a pin in it. ended up having to use a uhaul pickup truck.

@Michigan boarderI have photos of the tires but can't read the DOT code.  Appt at Belle Tire is an insurance policy but based on how the usage was described to me, I'm going to bet they haven't been changed recently, or ever.  I can cancel if I want.

@asnowman  Were you at Enterprise at the same time as me today?  That's exactly what happened as they tried to give me an F150 with no hitch receiver.  Really needed to go to their truck rental place which is 10 minutes from my house but closed due to Covid.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

@Michigan boarderI have photos of the tires but can't read the DOT code.  Appt at Belle Tire is an insurance policy but based on how the usage was described to me, I'm going to bet they haven't been changed recently, or ever.  I can cancel if I want.

@asnowman  Were you at Enterprise at the same time as me today?  That's exactly what happened as they tried to give me an F150 with no hitch receiver.  Really needed to go to their truck rental place which is 10 minutes from my house but closed due to Covid.

Nope. But i also know you can't bring a trailer hitch in you carry on! 🤔

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, asnowman said:

Nope. But i also know you can't bring a trailer hitch in you carry on! 🤔

Sure you can!  I did it twice when I flew up to buy my boat in Oregon!  I took it out and showed them what it was.  Had it all wrapped up in bubble wrap to not destroy/dirty my bag but it made the round trip from AZ just fine.  Do you look suspicious?  :rofl: 

On 5/4/2020 at 10:45 AM, Badger said:

Knock on wood, I may have bought a boat that I will inspect and drive home tomorrow.  (I will tell you more about it, after it's hitched to the back of my truck and I'm driving away with it.)  

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Sure you can!  I did it twice when I flew up to buy my boat in Oregon!  I took it out and showed them what it was.  Had it all wrapped up in bubble wrap to not destroy/dirty my bag but it made the round trip from AZ just fine.  Do you look suspicious?  :rofl: 

Literally a couple days before 9/11 I was travelling home from Houston and I had, in my carry-on, one of those older plyon camera mounts. You know the kind with steel coils the supported the camera mount.  It could have been part of a dirty bomb, and TSA  let me right through without even opening my bag.  After the horrific event, I thought back to this and wondered.

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Did I look suspicious.....well, probably. But i do usually fly out of Boston, the TSA agents seem overly cautious there for some reason.

Edited by asnowman