Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXI model year differences?

Badger

I sold my VTX last weekend and am working to get back to a DD ski boat that I can keep in the ski buddy rotation.  Still want to be able to pull the kids on a wakeboard and tubes while avoiding the surf swells on our small lake.  Basically that puts me back into a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXI with the SV23 diamond hull.  For whatever reason, there are only '99-'02's on the market right now.  I don't see any '03-04 boats for sale.

I went through the old brochures to see if there are any major differences between model years that would affect the pricing.  Otherwise if the boats are basically the same from year to year, I'm trying to figure out in my head what the value difference should be between model years.  I don't put much stock in NADA boat values at that age.  Hours and condition is going to be the major factor.   Does anyone know of specific changes that might affect cost/value?

One specific item is that switches on the dash changed from rotary to rocker at some point.  The confusing part is that the 2002 brochure shows rocker switches, but I have seen 2000, 2001, and 2002 boats advertised with pictures of rotary switches.  I have also seen a 2001 with rockers.  I understand that there could be a mid year running change, but then to see the 2002 with rotary has me confused (pictures are below - rotary from 2002 and rocker from 2001).  It makes me wonder if the people are advertising their boat as a 2002, but it is really older than that.  All of the older boats definitely have rotary switches and my '04 Sunscape had rockers.

rotary.jpg

rocker.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Badger said:

I sold my VTX last weekend and am working to get back to a DD ski boat that I can keep in the ski buddy rotation.  Still want to be able to pull the kids on a wakeboard and tubes while avoiding the surf swells on our small lake.  Basically that puts me back into a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXI with the SV23 diamond hull.  For whatever reason, there are only '99-'02's on the market right now.  I don't see any '03-04 boats for sale.

I went through the old brochures to see if there are any major differences between model years that would affect the pricing.  Otherwise if the boats are basically the same from year to year, I'm trying to figure out in my head what the value difference should be between model years.  I don't put much stock in NADA boat values at that age.  Hours and condition is going to be the major factor.   Does anyone know of specific changes that might affect cost/value?

One specific item is that switches on the dash changed from rotary to rocker at some point.  The confusing part is that the 2002 brochure shows rocker switches, but I have seen 2000, 2001, and 2002 boats advertised with pictures of rotary switches.  I have also seen a 2001 with rockers.  I understand that there could be a mid year running change, but then to see the 2002 with rotary has me confused (pictures are below - rotary from 2002 and rocker from 2001).  It makes me wonder if the people are advertising their boat as a 2002, but it is really older than that.  All of the older boats definitely have rotary switches and my '04 Sunscape had rockers.

rotary.jpg

rocker.jpeg

The rocker switches started in '01.  There weren't any rotary switch '01s made.  Anything saying it's an '01 with rotary switches is an error.

'01 got the lower dash (easier to see over for shorter people) with the recessed gauges.  Unless you ordered the woodgrain and/or gold bezels on the gauges, your dash is gray as pictured above.  If you opted for the "luxury" touches, it was black.  From '02 on, it was black.  '01 may have had a swivel seat from the factory also.  At least my dad's '01 VLX started with this as standard that year, and those boats were appointed almost identically.

I'm pretty sure starting in '02 the rubber footwell went away and you had full carpeting under the cockpit.  I know this was true in the Responses.  Also in '02, Indmar made software changes to prevent excessive throttling when the engine was cold.  This would cause frequent conk-outs when the boat was cold.  Was a pain.  The most obvious visible changes in the '02 were to decals which became drip-molded instead of stickers, lost the Malibu sun outline, and the transom decal just read "malibu" instead of US Open Towboats.  Also, the paint scheme changed a bit to be more swoopy towards the transom.

In '03, Indmar changed the intake design of the Monsoon to a conical filter setup with the throttle body mounted on a plenum, not the engine.  They also introduced software changes again to fix the problem they created in '02, resulting in the annoying "idle flair."  If you buy an '02 or '03, make sure it has the latest software.  Advertised HP went from 325 to 335 with the intake changes.  Starting in '03, the top of the windshield went from black painted to stainless steel. 

In '04, Indmar changed the manifolds and risers to the ETX.  These flowed better and advertised HP went to 340HP.  They were also made of Aluminum and shaved 90ish lbs from the engine.  Unfortunately, the sacrificial anodes in these are prone to corroding out, requiring the welding of new plugs into them when they go.  Replacements are mundo expensive.  I don't recall if it was '03 or '04 but somewhere in there, the gauge faces went from white lettering to orange.

Edited by UWSkier

UW - Thank you for the write up.  The '02 I was looking at has rotary switches and says "Exclusive US Open Tow Boats" on the back.  So I should conclude that the people advertising it either don't know what they have, or are not being honest.  Also thanks for pointing out the '04.  I did see that on SIA but had ruled it out due to high cost compared to the '00-'02 boats I was looking at that are in the $17-$22k range.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

UW - Thank you for the write up.  The '02 I was looking at has rotary switches and says "Exclusive US Open Tow Boats" on the back.  So I should conclude that the people advertising it either don't know what they have, or are not being honest.  Also thanks for pointing out the '04.  I did see that on SIA but had ruled it out due to high cost compared to the '00-'02 boats I was looking at that are in the $17-$22k range.

Definitely not an '02 if it has that dash or that decal.  Some advertisers online are frequently wrong.  Tilly's Marine has listed a few LXis in the past that were quite obviously not the years they were showing in the photos.

One other change.  I think it was '03 that they got rid of the air bladder lumbar support in the seat and went to the mechanical setup.

'02 also saw a heavier grade vinyl, though I personally like the feel of the '01 and earlier despite it being a bit less durable.  And it stains if you look at it cross-eyed...

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

heavier grade vinyl, though I personally like the feel of the '01 and earlier despite it being a bit less durable.  And it stains if you look at it cross-eyed...

+1 on the staining thing.  Crappiest  quality from G&T Vinyl.  Interestingly, that era of Correct Craft used G&T as well, and it was  almost unstainable.  Of course the new vinyls put all that old stuff to shame.  The replacement I got last year is far and away better than anything of the 'nought' era.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
3 hours ago, braindamage said:

I know of an SSLXi with 2011 factory vinyl skins installed exactly to the original design...and it’s for sale!! 🤔

And with PPSG w ZBox, would be a phenomenal add to the slalom rotation... :)

• Like 2

Do any of you owners of Sunsetters or other boats in the same 2000-ish era have an issue with a sagging floor from the motor box back towards the rear seats?

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Do any of you owners of Sunsetters or other boats in the same 2000-ish era have an issue with a sagging floor from the motor box back towards the rear seats?

I did in our 2004 SSLXi.  I replaced the honeycomb panel with 3/4" HDPE.  I got the idea from @Bozboat

It's funny that this post jogged my memory.  I was in the attic of the garage last weekend and came across some grey marine carpeting and couldn't remember what the heck I bought it for.  It's what I used to wrap the HDPE.

Rear access panel on my '01 RLX is in ship shape.  The floors on either side of it are uneven but not soft.  If I'd known back in March I wouldn't be using the boat again until mid May at the earliest, I would have removed the interior, bondo'd the floor flat, and installed a different floor covering.

The 99 has a one piece rear seat and the 2000 goes to the three piece, while the middle piece may blow out at highway speeds, the large full width sofa back seat of the 99 is not ideal.

• Like 1

I have an 01 lxi, no floor sagging.  I'd prefer the one piece rear seat actually, as one of my rear side seats likes to collapse if you step on it wrong... And my dash has the rocker switches also, with rubber floor and air lumbar.   

3 hours ago, hmh800 said:

I have an 01 lxi, no floor sagging.  I'd prefer the one piece rear seat actually, as one of my rear side seats likes to collapse if you step on it wrong... And my dash has the rocker switches also, with rubber floor and air lumbar.   

I installed an HDPE platform that the 3 seat cushions sit on to eliminate the issue of the cushions not being square to the mount. Works great!

the other advantage to this is that it creates a center step for skiers to use instead of the vinyl cushion without having to remove the entire back seat.

Edited by braindamage

@footndaleThank you, I had not seen that posted.  I love the color scheme but the vinyl is a bit too rough for me to deal with.

@braindamageYes, I agree that's the way to go.  I had started to design a platform for my VTX this spring prior to selling it.

Knock on wood, I may have bought a boat that I will inspect and drive home tomorrow.  (I will tell you more about it, after it's hitched to the back of my truck and I'm driving away with it.)  

I'm sure this is out there if I search a bit harder, but it's a bit of a road trip and looking for suggestions on what to bring with me, as I'm unsure of the trailer condition.  I don't typically trailer a boat so want to make sure I'm prepared.  Mostly worried about dry rotted tires and a blowout on the way home.  I will definitely take my time on the freeway.  I'm planning on renting a truck from Enterprise to tow with.

Hitches - straight and drop, harness adapters, lock for the trailer.

Floor jack, tire iron, blocks of wood, wheel chock, jack stands - I don't have a spare tire, but searching to see if I can borrow one, I did get the tire size from the owner.

Air compressor with extension cord

tool box - wrenches, BFH, socket set, ratchet straps

I plan to take everything I can out of the boat and put in the truck to prevent stuff from blowing out.

What am I missing?