Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchors

Learn2surf

New boat owner and I have purchased a box anchor.  I think I need two anchors though...for example if I want to anchor to the shore without risking dragging the boat on shore.  I assume I use the box anchor in the water and then another another on shore?  If so, what do you all recommend?  If not something on shore what would you get as a second anchor? 

Thanks!

Shore Spike

I carry two box anchors, a small and a baby. The small is my normal anchor, the baby is for when I don't want the boat turning with the wind. I use the baby off the back of the boat.

You might check into Anchor Buddy. I haven't had good experience with them but a lot of people like them. I'd never use one with a Box Anchor.

• Like 2

Do you ever get your box anchors hung up in rocks or stumps?  If so how do you get them loose? Our lakes are mostly rock bottom and I just know one day mine is not going to release, so far so good but haven't used it much. Mostly us a fold up grapple type that I rig so it will flip over if hung up. Have not lost it in over 10 years, but it has put up a good fight a few times before releasing.

I have picked up a few rocks in the 8" diameter range  with the anchor but never had one stuck. I did have one pick up an old trot line alomst in the middle of the lake. From the growth on it, it hadn't been used in years. I won't get hung on that one any more though.

Okay!  Thanks all!! I got a box anchor and another something that I could find at Walmart. I will look for something better for my small one after this weekend.  But just glad to have something.