Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear View Camera Question

Kojak

I'm adding a factory rear view camera. I haven't mounted it in the transom yet but I was able to test it yesterday. Works exactly how I want. However, I noticed that the camera itself got really hot, almost too hot to touch.  Anyone know if this is normal or not?  

Ok so I have a couple questions. First what camera are you using and what kind of boat are you installing this on and second a lot of camera companies that boat companies like Malibu and some others are using, they are actually recalling camera units for over heating issues, now I have a 2020 Malibu 25 LSV and I had the camera added to it and it gets really really hot after maybe a hour ride. It shouldn’t be a worry tho. 

Boat is a 2015 23 LSV.  Camera is a factory OEM camera ordered through dealer.  The box it came in says Voyager and ASA Electronics on it.  Camera is wired through a relay switch under the helm.  When the boat's power button is pushed and the dash comes on, there is power to the camera.  When the dash is off, the camera is off.  If it's going to get that hot, I'm thinking of using a toggle switch so the camera is only on when I'm using it.  Just didn't want to drill a hole in the transom until I knew if the camera getting hot was an issue or not.

Edited by Kojak

Hi Kojak. I got your PM, just slow to respond. 

The camera should not be getting hot. A switch to turn it on and off is a good idea, but the cam in general should not get hot.

13 minutes ago, COOP said:

Hi Kojak. I got your PM, just slow to respond. 

The camera should not be getting hot. A switch to turn it on and off is a good idea, but the cam in general should not get hot.

I'm going to go ahead and add a toggle switch to be on the safe side.  Any idea as to why it's getting hot? 

18 minutes ago, Kojak said:

Any idea as to why it's getting hot? 

My guess is a crappy or not working voltage regulator.  Most of the cameras at TTL 5v at the end, so your 12-14 volts has to be stepped down.  You see this in RC aircraft of all things, where low end voltage regs in ESCs cause overheating.  Of course the really expensive VRs don't do this.

59 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My guess is a crappy or not working voltage regulator.  Most of the cameras at TTL 5v at the end, so your 12-14 volts has to be stepped down.  You see this in RC aircraft of all things, where low end voltage regs in ESCs cause overheating.  Of course the really expensive VRs don't do this.

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DROK-Voltage-Regulator-Waterproof/dp/B07P663XJV

14 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Maybe, but does the camera have a 5 volt input?  Or would you have to hack the box toi find the regulator inside and  insinuate this into the current?

I don't know.  All I find online is that it's 12VDC.  Hacking into won't work for me.  I'll just manage to screw it up.

Just found something that may suggest it's 9V-15V.

Edited by Kojak
2 minutes ago, Kojak said:

And we're back to the beginning... :Frustrated:

Well, unless you hack the camera to take 5v, which it probably uses interanlly, yeah.  Sorry.  Have you called the mfg.?

No, but I might.  Definitely adding a toggle switch so it's only on when I want it on.  

And I may try a cheap voltage regulator to see if it helps.  Won't take much to wire it up and try it out.

29 minutes ago, Kojak said:

So I added this voltage regulator and it fixed the overheating issue. Camera works and doesn't get hot.  I got it installed yesterday. 

@Eagleboy99 Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.  

20200501_202531.jpg

Cool! (Literally).  :)  And quote the colour combo ya got there!

Kind of unrelated but I am a little disappointed in the resolution of the camera.  It isn't that good on my 2020 MXZ 23.  In todays day and age, 4k cameras are not expensive. I shouldn't be looking at a pixelated image at the helm.  Just my .02.  Anyone found an HD upgrade option?

Just curious what your frame rate is like on that camera? My factory camera on my 2019 is terrible... frame rate is probably 5 :-/.. and it seems to studder pretty bad to the point that the video feed from the camera is sort of useless.  I dont know if it is the camera or just bad software running the Malibu screen that results in such a poor video stream.

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The frame rate was too slow up to the 19'. My 20 is right now.

Agree. I wonder how much of that is actually attributable to the OS, rather than the camera.

Interesting topic. I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking of using the input for the "bow camera" which I don't have for a really good camera mounted on the tower to see a wakeboarder. I have seen the RCA connector for the camera so you should be able to hook up any camera with an RCA output to see if it is any better before installing. 

RCA input suggests NTSC (analog) video, not digital.  That means 4:3 aspect, 30Hz, ~525 lines.  Nowhere near HD, and certainly not 4K.  Low frame rate is probably the digitizer and the software, or possibly the OS on the display processor. 

The display shown above is clearly 4:3, so they just digitize the video and dump it onto that area of what looks like a 4K display.