Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Surf Tow Points

timmypop

Anyone have a pic of the side tow points on a GX tower? All of the pics I have seen in years past was a knob shape on the inside of the tower. Are there physical hooks now if one does not have the upper boar racks? 

7 hours ago, timmypop said:

Anyone have a pic of the side tow points on a GX tower? All of the pics I have seen in years past was a knob shape on the inside of the tower. Are there physical hooks now if one does not have the upper boar racks? 

Yes, they are big hooks, facing backwards, that slot into where a second set of board racks would go.  

Not the best pic, but here ya go...

AB287A56-D69F-4AC1-A317-598966244E28.jpeg

18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

so it's an either-or proposition (side tow hook or second rack)?  Guess I'll stick with my home brew solution.

Correct.  The hook replaces the rack mount.  Here is the hook part:

https://www.activewake.com/shop/boat-main/tower-accessories/accessories-1-tower-accessories/malibu-tow-surf-point-gx-19-6165009-angr/

Thanks all. I was confused by some grainy pictures where it appeared to have hooks AND upper racks.

I started to second guess that the hooks were in fact the new "tow points" instead of the knob I had seen before. 

Do you guys use these tow points?  Is it better than coming off the tower?  I heard at can be better for newbies but is it also better for everyone?  I am considering Adding these.  Someone is selling an aftermarket set on Facebook for a reasonable price. Seems like it would be easier than changing out the rope between wakeboarding and surfing since we tend to go back and forth. 

I use mine occasionally, it is good for beginners since I can keep them outside the wake easier when pulling up.  Only problem is the board racks get in the way when circling around to pick up the rider so have to move the rope before pulling the line tight to get the rider back up again.

20190518_090116.jpg

20190518_090058.jpg

I’m not a fan and would not buy/order again. We tried using them, but rope would get caught on board racks or always be in the way of people sitting under them. An experienced driver can turn the boat to get beginners in the correct position easy enough. 

I think a side tow is helpful for super spazy newbs (and I seem to have those on my boat frequently) who cant control a board at all and end up behind the boat in the froth no matter how well you set them up.  I certainly don't use the side pull setup as a matter of course, and we move the rope back to the "normal" position for everyone else once that person gets their set for the rope management reasons that @Pnwrider mentions.

We don’t use them either. On the one hand, it’s nice for a newb to come up in the flat so they don’t have to deal with the white wash, but there’s a downside for newbies also... once on their feet the rope on the side doesn’t promote staying on the face of the wave; instead the side rope tends to pull them away from the wave whereas the rope in the middle pulls them toward the wave. I try to teach newbies to keep their weight on the toe side edge and keep that toe side rail buried in the face of the wave. The side rope promotes too much weight on the heals, which is death in wake surfing. 

36 minutes ago, IXFE said:

We don’t use them either. On the one hand, it’s nice for a newb to come up in the flat so they don’t have to deal with the white wash, but there’s a downside for newbies also... once on their feet the rope on the side doesn’t promote staying on the face of the wave; instead the side rope tends to pull them away from the wave whereas the rope in the middle pulls them toward the wave. I try to teach newbies to keep their weight on the toe side edge and keep that toe side rail buried in the face of the wave. The side rope promotes too much weight on the heals, which is death in wake surfing. 

I used my new side surf tow points this week.  I think it was nice.  It was not a problem with people getting pulled out of the wave, either, but of course my wave is so long that if you are directly behind the tow point, you still have surfable wave that far back and out.  But we were just getting used to it to see how it works and everyone who surfed already knew how to get up.  

The knobs are 20% off at www.uptice.com with code UPTICE20 through the end of the month.  So for $64, I have definitely spent more to get less.  

We have them, i probably would not have ordered them. But... the definatelty make it easier to get up if you are new, and not comfortable with getting into the wake. I honestly am not sure my bride could have gotten to going ropeless without them. Certainly best for getting super spazzy beginners up, regardless of how good your driver is, but after that, nope.

For us, with young teenagers, we expect a large number of newbies, so i am glad they are there. Have seen lots of boats just tie a rope to the tower though, same idea i guess.

I will only consider getting them if I would use them regularly. Like tall said, 20% off makes them seem attractive but could be wasteful if not used. I don’t have to many newbies and the few we’ve had, haven’t had a problem getting up (or they had no chance of getting up). I think I’ll pass for now. Thanks and sorry to derail.