Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will this buff out or continue to be a problem?

My dealer did a number on my boat and got something on a number of the metal surfaces that caused corrosion.  The picture of the wedge is after a handle polish.  My question not knowing much about metal finishing is:  if this gets polished do you think it will come back? I am going to assume they will polish the heck out of it and  I just don't want the corrosion to come back after the warranty is up.

A6hWkX3.jpg

15ZlZ6K.jpg

ByjMBQw.jpg

jjcWbtS.jpg

Edited by vanamp
12 minutes ago, justgary said:

Is it pitted, or just discolored?  It could easily be water spots, depending on the water in your area. 

Look at the cap screw on the surf gate.

IT rolls down hill along with what ever fuming chemical spill occurred. It almost looks like galvanic corrosion on the SG. If your SS looks like that, I can only imagine what your barely painted trailer looks like. I bet you are going to have other problems in the interior in the very near future also. IIWM, I would get my magnifying glass out and document everything.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Look at the cap screw on the surf gate.

Missed that, thanks. 

Looks like a spray product to remove scum.  Did they water test it and then do you a favor by cleaning it for you? 

Buffing will remove the satin bead blasted logo and other markings. 

34 minutes ago, justgary said:

Missed that, thanks. 

Looks like a spray product to remove scum.  Did they water test it and then do you a favor by cleaning it for you? 

Buffing will remove the satin bead blasted logo and other markings. 

My year had bad surfgate placement and they had to move the bracket. The bow eye and and rub rail are corroded in the exact spots a strap like in this pic would hit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4gvJCOVCsMhTEYO0XEM9

I assume they had contaminated straps and crap splashing around. I told them about it when I took it to them in the fall and they must not have actually looked at what I told them (also emailed pictures) and just polished the bow eye which seems to have lost some of its shine.  Now detailing for the season I am finding more splatter. 

Service has not been great so trying to figure out how to handle it.  I know they will just want to buff it out but I am not sure If I need to push to replace the affected areas. 

Surprised that dealership would do that if you are in Minneapolis areas. I would call the owner directly to get this fixed.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

IT rolls down hill along with what ever fuming chemical spill occurred. It almost looks like galvanic corrosion on the SG. If your SS looks like that, I can only imagine what your barely painted trailer looks like. I bet you are going to have other problems in the interior in the very near future also. IIWM, I would get my magnifying glass out and document everything.

Nah, that’s chemical for sure. Galvanic corrosion is caused by two dissimilar metals touching. And would be localized at the bolt/screw and go from there. On the sg you might be seeing the blue plastic around the bolts from the factory. Looks like corrosion from a distance, but zoom in. Good point about checking the trailer too, for sure. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Did they do an acid wash or use rags that had been previously used for an acid wash? I’ve heard of that happening before. 

Not as part of my service but I assume something like that was what got on my boat.