Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Electrical Problem

‘99 Sunsetter LXI:

I have 12 volts at the switch and 12 leaving the switch when turned on.  However none of the dash lights or interior lights work.  I’m not getting 12 volts at any of the light receptacles.  Any ideas?

4 hours ago, Setter99 said:

‘99 Sunsetter LXI:

I have 12 volts at the switch and 12 leaving the switch when turned on.  However none of the dash lights or interior lights work.  I’m not getting 12 volts at any of the light receptacles.  Any ideas?

Which switch?  On the dash, or your battery switch?  You should have a fuse block or breaker panel somewhere also.  

I also agree with @23LSVOwner, check your grounds.  It sounds like a good connector cleaning is in store.  Lay on your back and have at it under the dash.

12V were checked at the dash switch.  Also forgot to mention, I have 12V at the breaker/fuse panel too.  I have not checked the ground bar yet though.

14 hours ago, Setter99 said:

‘99 Sunsetter LXI:

5 hours ago, Setter99 said:

12V were checked at the dash switch.  Also forgot to mention, I have 12V at the breaker/fuse panel too.  I have not checked the ground bar yet though.

You say you've got 12 volts at the switch but where are you attaching your black wire on the voltmeter for this test?  If (big if) your switches are like mine, the negative wire on the switch is a ground only for the indicator light inside the switch, but the ground for the associated circuit like your interior lights is elsewhere, most likely on the grounding block...I'd definitely tighten all the grounds on the grounding block.  When I had an issue like this I finally decided to get into the grounding block and re-tighten all the screws and several were not tight and a few were very loose.  I'll bet a beer that's what your issue is.

29 minutes ago, Setter99 said:

I held the black wire from the voltmeter on the grounding block under the dash.

Check for continuity between the ground buss bar and the ground one of the lights.

Update for all.  Just checked continuity and tested good.  Went back to my switch and not getting 12V on the “out” terminal.   No clue folks why I had 12V before and not now.  Needless to say, I jumped the terminals and have lights...so my switch is bad.  Not seeing it on bakes, is this 3 position switch still available?

Edited by Setter99
43 minutes ago, Setter99 said:

Update for all.  Just checked continuity and tested good.  Went back to my switch and not getting 12V on the “out” terminal.   No clue folks why I had 12V before and not now.  Needless to say, I jumped the terminals and have lights...so my switch is bad.  Not seeing it on bakes, is this 3 position switch still available?

Just move the switch on and off a bunch of times and it might start making contact again.  Probably just crusty inside from not enough use.

Actually, you can pop those plastic switches apart pretty easily to wipe the cobwebs out.  Watch for that spring....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you justgary!  Disassembled the switch and found my culprit...ants & copper tumblers were corroded preventing contact.  Brightened it up with sandpaper, cleaned out the ants and reassembled with a touch of dielectric grease.  Reassembly was a bit tricky I must say.  Also, these switches are pretty bullet proof, not much to mechanically go wrong.  Back in business, we got lights!

• Like 3