Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'20 A24 What are your surf settings?

COsurfandpuck

Purchased a 2020 A24 this spring and am looking to see what setup everyone is using to get a good surf wave.  We are coming from a '17 T22 with auto wedge.  We had the old boat dialed in but the new A24 is giving me a run.

We tried the following setup today.  Full 750's in the rear, front and center ballast full with 300# of lead up front.  5 adults (4 when 1 was surfing) and 2 dogs on board.  We tried to surf anywhere between 10.5 to 11.2 and wedge set at positions 1-5.  The wave seemed to lack push and the face seemed soft.  We were also noticing that the surf gate (when deployed) had water spraying vertical in the air like a rooster tail.

We never noticed our surf gates spraying on the old boat.  Is it possible that we have too much nose weight?  Also, last year on the same boards as we rode today, we had to stand on the rear of the board to keep from eating the swim platform.  Today we had to stand on our front foot and that sometimes wasn't good enough.

HELP PLEASE!

My best friend has a19 24 MXZ which should be really similar to your boat. 
Try only about 500 in your rear plug and play and everything else full. Leave the 300 lbs up front and throw another person up front if needed. Put the wedge on 3 and speed up to 11.5. It will be big and have a lot of push. We usually have maybe 10 people in his boat. It likes a lot of weight and lots up front. I love surfing behind his boat. I think you’ll be surprised, but you don’t want to much bow rise. If you are getting to much, move someone or weight up front. Have fun.

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do you have the optional bow ballast plumbing and bag?

Yes. I had the center ballast full, the bag under the bow seats was full and also 300# of lead. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, COsurfandpuck said:

Yes. I had the center ballast full, the bag under the bow seats was full and also 300# of lead. 

Ok, what you were describing sounded a bit like too much rear weight. I agree with @NorNevRider’s suggestion to try next. Also, with the bigger boat it probably need to be in 20+ feet of water to really let the wave form properly. 

• Thanks 1

Exactly. Mr. Hopkins is spot on with the water depth too. I can do the same thing with my 25. These big boats just like to get sunk down evenly without a lot of bow rise. Once you get that, the wave gets big. At 11.5 it’s got decent length too. Once you get that dialed in you are going to love that boat.

I move my 1000 lb. bow bag all over the place depending on how many people are in the boat. Sometimes I have to move people into the bow when I have 10 or more people in the boat. 

I have a 2019 A24 I run my left rear PNP 100% full, right rear PNP 50% and center 100% full, now I only run the bow full if I have lots of people in the boat and have them in the rear left. Surf at 10.8-11.2 using Paddle wheel always. 

also I don’t run the bow bag full because The A24 bow is so heavy if it’s full without lots of people in the rear the wave is too long without push. 

I have a 2020 A24 that I surfed/rode all last summer and fall, 180 hours on it! The boat LOVES rear/midship weight. I have 900's in the rear, with 2 lead bags underneath each bag (100lbs in each side). In front of those bags, under the side seats, I have a 600 lb fat sac in each side locker. In front of those, still under the side seats, I have 200 lbs lead in the starboard and 400 lbs lead in the port. On the floor of the boat towards the rear, I keep 200 lbs of lead that I can move left to right. Under the passenger side compartment (under the glove box), I have 100 lbs of lead. In the walkthrough I keep 500 lbs of lead, and in the nose I will put 300 lbs of lead for wakeboarding, and for surfing I move that back to the walk through. I run the wedge on 3 for wakeboarding and for surfing when I have the weight out of the nose I run the wedge on 2 at 11mph. Sometimes I will move 500 lbs of lead to the nose and run the wedge on 3 for surfing. With 2-3 people in the boat it planes in 5-7 seconds. 

The wake/wave are insane, biggest surf/wakeboard wave I've ridden. M6DI motor. 

do you

31 minutes ago, BillyAllen said:

I have a 2020 A24 that I surfed/rode all last summer and fall, 180 hours on it! The boat LOVES rear/midship weight. I have 900's in the rear, with 2 lead bags underneath each bag (100lbs in each side). In front of those bags, under the side seats, I have a 600 lb fat sac in each side locker. In front of those, still under the side seats, I have 200 lbs lead in the starboard and 400 lbs lead in the port. On the floor of the boat towards the rear, I keep 200 lbs of lead that I can move left to right. Under the passenger side compartment (under the glove box), I have 100 lbs of lead. In the walkthrough I keep 500 lbs of lead, and in the nose I will put 300 lbs of lead for wakeboarding, and for surfing I move that back to the walk through. I run the wedge on 3 for wakeboarding and for surfing when I have the weight out of the nose I run the wedge on 2 at 11mph. Sometimes I will move 500 lbs of lead to the nose and run the wedge on 3 for surfing. With 2-3 people in the boat it planes in 5-7 seconds. 

The wake/wave are insane, biggest surf/wakeboard wave I've ridden. M6DI motor. 

do you have any photos of htat surf wave? that sounds like a ton of weight!  

On 5/8/2020 at 11:07 AM, smuurph84 said:

do you

do you have any photos of htat surf wave? that sounds like a ton of weight!  

Sorry for the delayed reply. Not sure how to insert just an image but let me know if this link works. 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:20 AM, smuurph84 said:

no worries . looks huge! really considering the a24 with the m6, when its time to upgrade

Best boat I've ever had by far, and best motor as well. I've had 5 malibu/axis now and I honestly can't express how impressed I am by the A24, and M6. Wake for surfing is as big or bigger than any boat out there, and wakeboard wake the same. I run premium fuel in mine, but you don't have to. It's 20% more fuel efficient than my indmar 450 in my 23 lsv. And to top that off I'm also running 3000lbs total more weight in the A24. Pretty damn impressive.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, BillyAllen said:

Best boat I've ever had by far, and best motor as well. I've had 5 malibu/axis now and I honestly can't express how impressed I am by the A24, and M6. Wake for surfing is as big or bigger than any boat out there, and wakeboard wake the same. I run premium fuel in mine, but you don't have to. It's 20% more fuel efficient than my indmar 450 in my 23 lsv. And to top that off I'm also running 3000lbs total more weight in the A24. Pretty damn impressive.

thanks for the feedback. my wife really likes the malibus but our t2 2 has been rock solid and I love the simplicity of axis.   just hope I can convince her of a test drive when the time comes! I have heard nothing but positives on the A24 m6 combo

Would the boat/weight setup be any different between an M5 and M6 engine?  My new 24 has the M5.  I haven't yet had a chance to play with the wave setup but I'm watching this thread intently for tips for when I can finally get out and play with the setup.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, gtoddh said:

Would the boat/weight setup be any different between an M5 and M6 engine?  My new 24 has the M5.  I haven't yet had a chance to play with the wave setup but I'm watching this thread intently for tips for when I can finally get out and play with the setup.

Sorry for such a late response, you may have already gotten this figured out, but if not, I'm happy to help. I haven't been in an A24 with the M5 motor yet, so I can't speak for the amount of weight it can handle. For surfing, I would fill everything plus your rear plug and plays. If you have a fatsac or lead I would put weight on the floor near the rear, or under the side seats. With as much weight as I have, I've been running the wedge on 2 for surfing. If you have less weight you may be able to run it on 3 or 4 to build it up a bit more. Let me know what you think of it when you get a chance to ride it.

We played with it a little.  We had it pretty well dialed with 3 adults in the boat, everything full including 750s in the rear, a Sumo 675 bag right in front of the rear seat, wedge at 4, 11.2mph.  The wave was great.  We went out again but without the extra 2 adults, just the driver and our 4yr old daughter.  Same setup and we couldn't get the boat up to speed and the wave was really tall and short.  In hindsight we probably had too much rear weight.  I moved the wedge to 3 but my fiance said the wave lost most of its push.  We still have some work to do on getting it dialed.  We typically only have one adult driver and 1-3 young kids in the boat, rarely any extra adults.  I wish I had some lead/steel to easily move around but I don't so I'll just have to play with the extra sumo bag and see where it works best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, gtoddh said:

We played with it a little.  We had it pretty well dialed with 3 adults in the boat, everything full including 750s in the rear, a Sumo 675 bag right in front of the rear seat, wedge at 4, 11.2mph.  The wave was great.  We went out again but without the extra 2 adults, just the driver and our 4yr old daughter.  Same setup and we couldn't get the boat up to speed and the wave was really tall and short.  In hindsight we probably had too much rear weight.  I moved the wedge to 3 but my fiance said the wave lost most of its push.  We still have some work to do on getting it dialed.  We typically only have one adult driver and 1-3 young kids in the boat, rarely any extra adults.  I wish I had some lead/steel to easily move around but I don't so I'll just have to play with the extra sumo bag and see where it works best.

Interesting that the wave lost its push on wedge 3. I've been running less nose weight, more rear weight with the wedge on 2 and its been amazing. Lots of push along tall/long. Best I've had my wave yet.

I just posted almost the exact same thing. Went from a 2016 A22 to a 2020 A24. We have the M5 though but plenty of power. Wave just not dialed in yet.