Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration only on take off when using wedge

My 2016 VTX 20 vibrates at low speed and just when I'm taking off to pull a wakeboarder. It seems to happen ONLY when I am using the power edge (in max curved wake position & plus full ballast). Once I get 10+ MPH it goes away. The prop is fairly new and I have felt it & done visuals and it seems to be fine. Is it possible that the wedge itself could be misaligned somehow causing vibration? My next move unless I hear otherwise will be to just go ahead & change out the propr to see if that helps...

Yes. Just ran a bunch more tests and (with full ballast and pulling a wakeboarder):

• with wedge in LIFT mode you start to feel a vibration at about 3MPH & it goes away at about 8MPH...This just started happening a few weeks ago...
  • no vibration with Wedge stored

Im going to do another full inspection of the alignment & change the prop out but for some reason it seems as though it only happens when the wedge is in Lift mode...?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, JTombari said:

Yes. Just ran a bunch more tests and (with full ballast and pulling a wakeboarder):

• with wedge in LIFT mode you start to feel a vibration at about 3MPH & it goes away at about 8MPH...This just started happening a few weeks ago...
  • no vibration with Wedge stored

Im going to do another full inspection of the alignment & change the prop out but for some reason it seems as though it only happens when the wedge is in Lift mode...?

Did you forget to state that is only happens in lift in your first post? Or is this news. Have you started in ramp? You also stated the prop is fairly new, did you just add this prop?

I still think it is prop captivation. Have you added any additional weight lately? When you are first accelerating, the engine is probably revving high, causing the prop to slip more than normal, it will cause a bit of vibration. Check the wedge to be sure.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Did you forget to state that is only happens in lift in your first post? Or is this news. Have you started in ramp? You also stated the prop is fairly new, did you just add this prop?

I still think it is prop captivation. Have you added any additional weight lately? When you are first accelerating, the engine is probably revving high, causing the prop to slip more than normal, it will cause a bit of vibration. Check the wedge to be sure.

Yes i forgot to mention that it happens in lift mode. I tried stowed mode and no vibration. I have 2 of the same prop. This is my backup prop  and it was changed out  about 50 hrs ago but that's not when it started. I'll run some tests with less balllast but still in lift mode. I have only tested with full ballast. No more ballast than in past though...

On 4/30/2020 at 6:48 PM, dlb said:

What prop are you using, what engine do you have?

Monsoon 62L 410
Standard 15 x 1775 - 2401

standard prop I got stock with boat...I got 2...I'll have to go find out exactly what prop that is...