Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges

So I’m having gauge issues. To start yes the gauges self check when turned on.  But do not read right. I’ve checked everything and it’s getting signals and everything is getting the correct voltage and ground.  I’ve swapped the connectors around and it comes out the same.  My main concern is the multi function gauge ( 99 sunsetter vlx). I can care less about the tach and the speedo because the perfect pass is giving me what I need for those readings.  So the multi function is reading because my temp works fine, the gas reads but bounces around and won’t stick to the true reading , the voltage just goes to 18v and I know it’s charging correctly ( has 14v running). Oil reads sometimes. So my question is. Has anyone wired in a Faria multi gauge to the medallion system ? Yes I know there is options to covert but I’m not looking to do so. 

Edited by Teducote
3 hours ago, Teducote said:

Has anyone wired in a Faria multi gauge to the medallion system ?

Can't be done.  Analog vs. digital bus.  (Well, I guess you could program an Arduino chip to do a conversion...)  Given that you've swapped arpound the gauge wires, I'd say it is an issue at the computer.  Could be fried.  Or maybe just bad connections/ground.  The conversion kit from Ron Tanis is pretty awesome.  And shameless plug here:  I will sell you my old perfectly functional Medallion computer.  :)

9 hours ago, Teducote said:

So I’m having gauge issues. To start yes the gauges self check when turned on.  But do not read right. I’ve checked everything and it’s getting signals and everything is getting the correct voltage and ground.  I’ve swapped the connectors around and it comes out the same.  My main concern is the multi function gauge ( 99 sunsetter vlx). I can care less about the tach and the speedo because the perfect pass is giving me what I need for those readings.  So the multi function is reading because my temp works fine, the gas reads but bounces around and won’t stick to the true reading , the voltage just goes to 18v and I know it’s charging correctly ( has 14v running). Oil reads sometimes. So my question is. Has anyone wired in a Faria multi gauge to the medallion system ? Yes I know there is options to covert but I’m not looking to do so. 

This sounds more like a grounding issue to me.  The tank sender ground wire goes to a stud on the bell housing, but it's not the same stud as the other grounds.  Clean both grounds.  Then remove the cannon plug and clean the contacts, gently spread the male pins with a small tool, dab a bit of grease on them, and reinstall.  I'd try that first, then move on to other places if that doesn't fix all three.