Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfboards--What's your recommendation

Bman1

Just wondering what everyone's favorite surfboard is?

Currently I am using a Phase 5 model X. I really like it, it's pretty fast, thinner which I like. 

Opinions on Soulcraft, Chaos or others appreciated. 

6'1" 200 intermediate skill

Edited by Bman1
11 hours ago, Kojak said:

Anything Phase 5. Currently have Ahi, Model X, & Diamond. Really wanting the Swell.

kojak is there one of these you recommend or prefer over the other? I rode a friends phase 5 carbon that I loved but it was to small for me. so I am leaning hard toward the P5 brand.  I  mainly skim but I am 6-2 220 and am looking to purchase a new board this year but its hard to drop 7-8 hundred on a board I have never rode.  evo has the diamond turbo on sale but I am curious if its a big difference from how my buddies hammer head carbon board rides? 

https://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-boards/phase-five-diamond-turbo-board-2019#image=149765/609495/clone.jpg

If you mainly skim, I think I'd be all over that deal on the Diamond. My daughter rides the Diamond and prefers it over the Model X.

If you're skill set is such that you're riding revert and pulling off 360s then you probably want the Hammerhead.

The Ahi and Swell are both surf style boards. 

I have a phase 5 Diamond and a Victoria Factor. I favor the Factor- smaller footprint, feels more agile, maybe slower since its smaller surface area. I am trying to learn surface tricks 360, riding revert and goal is to work on shuvits this summer. The Factor is probable most comparable to the Phase 5 Matrix.

You may want to consider the Factor, Matrix or MVP since they would be a bigger difference than the Diamond compared to the X. Just my gut talking.

I also have a Soulcraft AV and Da Honu to ride. Very different feeling than the phase 5 X. Not saying better just different style. More surf style. LOL. Don't know how else to describe it. Very light boards and touchy to your input.

What lake do you ride on in TN?

I was just getting ready to post a similar topic...

I ride a Cove Prelude and P5 Hammerhead 53.  I'm 6' 190lbs.  Would really like to find a "hybrid-ish" board with more float than the HH for 360s.  I can spin the HH on a dime but recovery is the primary issue.  I either go over the front trying to brake the landing, after the turn, or spin 2-3 times around. 

I would also like to find something more fun to do transfers with.  The Cove is fun and I can do it but the HH is next to impossible to hit a transfer because the board is real lose coming off the wave and seems to nose dive while coming down the wave.   Guess I'm looking for something that can do both, if it exists.  

2020 may be the year of CV-19 but it will also be the year that I get these tricks mastered.

55 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I was just getting ready to post a similar topic...

I ride a Cove Prelude and P5 Hammerhead 53.  I'm 6' 190lbs.  Would really like to find a "hybrid-ish" board with more float than the HH for 360s.  I can spin the HH on a dime but recovery is the primary issue.  I either go over the front trying to brake the landing, after the turn, or spin 2-3 times around. 

I would also like to find something more fun to do transfers with.  The Cove is fun and I can do it but the HH is next to impossible to hit a transfer because the board is real lose coming off the wave and seems to nose dive while coming down the wave.   Guess I'm looking for something that can do both, if it exists.  

2020 may be the year of CV-19 but it will also be the year that I get these tricks mastered.

The Hammerhead has a 1” fin in the back. Maybe try to get a bigger fin. That will give you a little more control and help slow the board down on your 360’s.
The P5 Model X is kind of a hybrid with a 3 fin setup. I have ridden that board with all 3, 2” fins to a single 1” fin and even without a fin. The fin setup on any board can drastically change how it rides overall. Getting different fins for an old board can be as good in some cases as getting a new board (and a lot less expensive).

For what it is worth, I ride the P5 Hypsta.  5'8" ~190ish and beginner to intermediate level.  I don't have a ton of riding experience with other high quality boards, but the Hypsta is by far my fav.  We have two - three other Hyperlite's or Liquid Forces.  They really don't compare in responsiveness and speed.  We too are in the market for another.  The issue being my wife and I struggle to ride the same board due to weight and not sure I am in the market for two....

IMG_0566.JPG

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

For what it is worth, I ride the P5 Hypsta.  5'8" ~190ish and beginner to intermediate level.  I don't have a ton of riding experience with other high quality boards, but the Hypsta is by far my fav.  We have two - three other Hyperlite's or Liquid Forces.  They really don't compare in responsiveness and speed.  We too are in the market for another.  The issue being my wife and I struggle to ride the same board due to weight and not sure I am in the market for two....

IMG_0566.JPG

I've been considering the Hypsta as well.  Looks like it would be a fun board.

Picked up a Hypsta last year and it’s really a fun and enjoyable board to ride!  I believe they consider this board a hybrid but it really leans toward a skim.  I really like the surf style better and have a Chaos which I love and my buddy has a Soulcraft.  Between the three boards there is never a bad day on the water!

Edited by ctvandy23

Bman,

I am on Douglas.  I have a ton of boards if you would like to try something different.  Bunch of Soulcrafts, Rusty Snaggletooth, Exile Skim.  We are around the same height and weight too.

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody looking for boards, check out Phase 5's instagram page.  They were on live yesterday answering questions and talking about and comparing their different boards.  They really made some good points for people wanting to know the difference between their boards and different riding styles and what is a good fit.  They even touched on board sizing based on individuals weight.  The video was with John Akerman, Parker Payne and Drew Danielo.  Worth looking at.