Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3.5 VS GX review photos

djheywood

You will love the Gx... and garage clearance is exactly why I went with it (and it is just so nice to push a button and be done:).)  You mentioned the Rev10s... where they somehow the issues with clearance on the G3.5?... I didn't think the speakers made any difference as far as clearance.

• 1 month later...

I have a situation where I have to lower the tower to drive the boat under a low bridge going to my dock.  Figured out I can pull down the g3 and still fit in the drivers seat.  Can you tell whether that would be easier or harder with the new g5?  Anyone know what the “low profile tow hoop ” is that I’ve seen mentioned on here?

so is the main reason there is a 22 mxz and a 23 to help fit in garages?

Edited by Rosie39j

I would strongly suggest the GX.  The beauty of the GX is it will stay in whatever position you place it VS the G3.5 with is either all the way up or down. It will make your life much easier since you have to do this while out on the water trolling.

and yes I assume the 22 MXZ is for garage space,  I would have bought the 24 MXZ if it would have fit in my garage but as it is the 23 fits with about 3” to spare.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:55 AM, djheywood said:

Hi All

So my new 23 MXZ wouldn’t fit in our garage with the G3.5 tower and 4 Rev 10s.  (We have 88” of clearance) Kris and his team at VS Marine in Atascadero was EXTREMELY accommodating and swapped out the tower for the GX.  I am in the unique position of having photos of my boat with both towers in and collapsed for comparison so I figured I would share in the hopes that it gives clarity for others when making the decision.  For what it’s worth I think the GX look much better on my boat than the 3.5 did.

the moral of the story is that if you think clearance is going to be an issue, bite the bullet and get the GX from the start.  On a side note the towers use the exact mounting holes as the G3.5, but they did have to get the wiring harness before they could swap it over.

brian

C8280B15-E3E8-4C24-9DF5-A2A5C0514FA5.jpeg

43BCA1AD-0249-4A7D-983B-4672637D5BE9.jpeg

0E2E0E46-387B-45DE-9695-78004652CD76.jpeg

3220D64C-0BE9-4120-899B-EC4497251775.jpeg

Do you have to take off the board racks each time you put the boat away?

1 hour ago, djheywood said:

I would strongly suggest the GX.  The beauty of the GX is it will stay in whatever position you place it VS the G3.5 with is either all the way up or down. It will make your life much easier since you have to do this while out on the water trolling.

and yes I assume the 22 MXZ is for garage space,  I would have bought the 24 MXZ if it would have fit in my garage but as it is the 23 fits with about 3” to spare.

The only difference between 23 and 22 mxz is 7" of boat length, free board is the same depth I believe. I do have the low profile tow hoop to clear my 8' garage door and take racks off each time. I have 4 rev 8s but deleted the shelf mounts and added WS G3 tower mounts so speakers are flush with tower. 18" rims on trailer and leave tow attachment on low pro hoop.

@djheywooddid you order the G3.5 originally with the straight hoop or retro that after delivery?  I have a buddy who just purchased a 2019 21MLX and needs a few extra inches clearance.

My dealer ordered it after so I had both.  Any dealer should easily be able to get it.  I don’t think there is an option to upgrade, you have to buy it separately but I could be wrong

On 4/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, djheywood said:

Ya you can see in the photo, once you have the straight hoop and remove the racks, the Rev 10s are the highest part.

Are those 10s mounted on the factory shelf mounts?

2 hours ago, lerch said:

@djheywooddid you order the G3.5 originally with the straight hoop or retro that after delivery?  I have a buddy who just purchased a 2019 21MLX and needs a few extra inches clearance.

Has your buddy tried pulling of the tow point attachment? Its 1 allen bolt that holds it to the tower loop, that will get you a few inches. If he's tried that and it didn't work he can buy the low pro bar from dealership. 4 bolts makes it a quick swap out.

No shelf but they were mounted that way from the factory.  They were mounted with a plate on the side of the tower.  No shelves.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, djheywood said:

Hi All

So my new 23 MXZ wouldn’t fit in our garage with the G3.5 tower and 4 Rev 10s.  (We have 88” of clearance) Kris and his team at VS Marine in Atascadero was EXTREMELY accommodating and swapped out the tower for the GX.  I am in the unique position of having photos of my boat with both towers in and collapsed for comparison so I figured I would share in the hopes that it gives clarity for others when making the decision.  For what it’s worth I think the GX look much better on my boat than the 3.5 did.

the moral of the story is that if you think clearance is going to be an issue, bite the bullet and get the GX from the start.  On a side note the towers use the exact mounting holes as the G3.5, but they did have to get the wiring harness before they could swap it over.

brian

C8280B15-E3E8-4C24-9DF5-A2A5C0514FA5.jpeg

43BCA1AD-0249-4A7D-983B-4672637D5BE9.jpeg

0E2E0E46-387B-45DE-9695-78004652CD76.jpeg

3220D64C-0BE9-4120-899B-EC4497251775.jpeg

@djheywood what did this cost for the swap to GX? I’m being quoted $27k!