Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well - My first BIG mistake

I've done this a hundred times and yet for some reason today was a blackout day. The ramp was a chaotic mess, bringing the boat back in on the trailer, no biggy, except the guy who decided to cut my son off and try to launch just as I was approaching my trailer.....Long story short, we hooked up and I (very calmly) voiced to my son to get out out of here.....At the top of the ramp, crap, I didn't turn off the engine (I'm still kicking myself) Maybe 45 secs to 1 min before I shut down. The engine did not overheat, I'm more concerned about the impeller (just changed 2 weeks ago) 

I very much value this forum's input so appreciate any guidance on concerns and what I need to do next? 

Cheers,

Iain.  

If that's the biggest mistake you've made, you are doing really well!  I've done the same thing....maybe more than once. 

But like others said, if you are super worried about it, change out the impeller and keep the one in there now (which you will see is likely just fine) as a spare.

Thanks guys - Not too much sleep last night and still beating myself up.....stupid mistake. Again, thanks for the info, I'll swamp out the impeller (again:-) 

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Thanks guys - Not too much sleep last night and still beating myself up.....stupid mistake. Again, thanks for the info, I'll swamp out the impeller (again:-) 

Cheers,

Iain.

Just keep the one you pull off as a spare on the boat.  It should be fine.  If this has been a dry start up after the boat had sat out of the water for 6 months then it might be a bit more susceptible to toasting the impeller (I know some mechanics say 15 seconds of running dry impeller can toast it.. but I think that is only the case with an old impeller and a completely dry pump), but you just came out of the water so it is likely fine with no damage at all.

• Like 2

My biggest mistake was forgetting to confirm I removed the old oil filter o ring when putting the new one on.  It was stuck to the piece the filter screws on, outside of my sight.  Ended up double stacked with the new filter, which passed my driveway test in idle.  As soon as I put the boat under real load at the lake, oil went spraying.  Luckily I turned the engine off right away and had a friend nearby to tow me in.  Pain in the a** to clean, but everything ended up being ok.  

Moral of the story, we all make mistakes.  Sounds like you'll probably be fine in this scenerio, which is something to be thankful for!

My dealer dry started mine after replacing my starter. Boat had been out of water for a couple days it only ran for a few seconds. I didn't like it but no harm was done, made it through the season of 100 plus hours.

As long as the impeller was wet, which it was, you are fine.

A dry impeller for 30 seconds or more should be as well.  You just do not want it to get hot!

On a scale of 1-10 what you did is .5.

Speaking of mistakes, when my daughters where 1 and 3 I was launching alone. I dropped the boat in,  tied it to the dock and left them in the boat with their life jackets on while I ran up the ramp and parked the truck and trailer.  I could see the boat the whole time and it wasn't crowded so it felt safe.  I was taking my time and grabbing some extra gear. As I was walking back, I was about 200 yards away and I see the bilge going full tilt.  I forgot to put the plug in:rant:  Needless to say, Carl Lewis had nothing on me in the 200 yard dash that day! Thankfully, all was well but it scared the hell out of me and I learned a couple lessons that day.

$35 impeller + 10 mins of your time = no stress or worries.   The impeller is probably good but there is a slight chance it ran dry and could be compromised.

The impeller is your lifeline for cooling engine, I never take any chances with them.

• Like 1

I would check it out and would be prepared to change it.  

A friend helping me change the oil dry started my boat.  It had been sitting for a week.  Still not sure why he cranked it over but it fired, the impeller squealed for all of 3 seconds, and it was toast.  It was an old impeller.  If yours is brand new it probably is fine but I've now moved to changing mine every other year anyways.  Cheap $25 insurance on the only thing that really kills these motors.  

On 4/25/2020 at 12:56 AM, Taffy said:

I've done this a hundred times and yet for some reason today was a blackout day. The ramp was a chaotic mess, bringing the boat back in on the trailer, no biggy, except the guy who decided to cut my son off and try to launch just as I was approaching my trailer.....Long story short, we hooked up and I (very calmly) voiced to my son to get out out of here.....At the top of the ramp, crap, I didn't turn off the engine (I'm still kicking myself) Maybe 45 secs to 1 min before I shut down. The engine did not overheat, I'm more concerned about the impeller (just changed 2 weeks ago) 

I very much value this forum's input so appreciate any guidance on concerns and what I need to do next? 

Cheers,

Iain.  

Been there, done that, survived.

this weekend, first trip out this year and  I tried to launch the boat with the transom straps attached. Wife backed me down and the boat and trailer floated over 20 degrees.  Some old wise fisherman guy, suspenders and long beard (with the look of  oh now we are going to have to share the lake again for a few months) said “son, you got to release them straps first”.   I just said you are right.

Some great feedback guys and good to know I'm not alone:-) I have put it down to the professional medical term "a brain fart" Hopefully that brain fart will not happen again, i am new to the Malibu line but have a fair number of years with other crafts. So a clumsy mistake (big or small) doesn't digest very well:-) 

Honestly - This forum is the best of the best, the feedback is top notch:

@ WDR

Thanks for talking me through the struts. With this issue I didn't get around to it this weekend but will in the next few days.

@  formulaben 

Great advice and knowledge, leading someone through the service details.

Cheers all - Stay safer out there.

Yup, your fine.  Compared to what I did on Saturday, that's a .05 on the scale!  While passing a G23 and watching this guy surf, I paid NO attention to the fact I was about to catch his wash.  Yup.....took a tidal wave over the bow, twice, and soaked everything from towels to attitudes!  Of course now my sub isn't working, would love some advice from the crew on that possible fix, hoping a fuse just blew on one of the amps. 

Sorry to hijack this thread, any other advice on NOT swamping the boat would also be appreciated!  This is out first summer with this 247, now I stare at the bow constantly in fear of doing it again. 

2 hours ago, jonthefireman said:

While passing a G23 and watching this guy surf, I paid NO attention to the fact I was about to catch his wash.  Yup.....took a tidal wave over the bow, twice,

I wish you had it on video.

11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Been there, done that, survived.

this weekend, first trip out this year and  I tried to launch the boat with the transom straps attached. Wife backed me down and the boat and trailer floated over 20 degrees.  Some old wise fisherman guy, suspenders and long beard (with the look of  oh now we are going to have to share the lake again for a few months) said “son, you got to release them straps first”.   I just said you are right.

I did that first trip out a couple years ago.  Kept backing deeper and deeper until I figured it out.  Then like a dummy, instead of pulling out of the water I walked to the back of the boat while it was still in the water, released one strap and when the trailer dropped at an angle it dinged the prop.