Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paddle wheel vs GPS

We just got a 2020 T23. It has the paddle wheel for speed control. Our old boat had zero off GPS. 

While surfing the other day I felt the speed was really jumping around and slow to hold speed/adjust. We were surfing around the 10.8 to 11.2 mph range.  It was usually +/- 0.5 mph from the set speed. 

I’m trying to figure out if this is normal for paddle wheel style systems to jump around this much. Our old speed control system was very consistent. 

It has the M5 engine and 2249 prop. We were running with 750 pnp bags full in the back and everything else full. Plus we have an additional 300 lbs of lead in the front of the boat. Is it possible we were overloaded?  2 adults and a 40 lb kiddo were in the boat. 

everybody has an opinion and here is mine

Paddle Wheel is great if you are on a river or body of water where there is a current. Keeps boat speed at speed whether going upstream or downstream.

GPS is great for lakes or where there is no current. Will control speed better.

Especially for surfing. Ground speed is what needs to be maintained not indicated speed. So if you surf at 10 mph and the current in 2 mph with GPS you need to set to 8 mph going upstream and 12 mph going down stream to have a consistent wave. With Paddle Wheel, speed is the boat over water so indicated speed is already your ground speed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BJM said:

We just got a 2020 T23. It has the paddle wheel for speed control. Our old boat had zero off GPS. 

While surfing the other day I felt the speed was really jumping around and slow to hold speed/adjust. We were surfing around the 10.8 to 11.2 mph range.  It was usually +/- 0.5 mph from the set speed. 

I’m trying to figure out if this is normal for paddle wheel style systems to jump around this much. Our old speed control system was very consistent. 

It has the M5 engine and 2249 prop. We were running with 750 pnp bags full in the back and everything else full. Plus we have an additional 300 lbs of lead in the front of the boat. Is it possible we were overloaded?  2 adults and a 40 lb kiddo were in the boat. 

What rpms are you seeing with the 2249 at those speeds?  2x 750s in the rear seems like a lot of weight for the 2249, even with the 300lbs up front..

Speaking of GPS vs paddle wheel has anyone ever added a GPS puck after the fact.  My current boat '19 T22 only has the paddle wheel.  I boat on a lake and I've never felt like there was anything lacking with my paddle wheel but just curious what it would take to add it.  Is it as simple as buying the puck and plugging it in?  I know there is a setting in the menu to choose between the 2 and I believe the plug is already there inside the passenger compartment....

3 hours ago, air06 said:

Speaking of GPS vs paddle wheel has anyone ever added a GPS puck after the fact.  My current boat '19 T22 only has the paddle wheel.  I boat on a lake and I've never felt like there was anything lacking with my paddle wheel but just curious what it would take to add it.  Is it as simple as buying the puck and plugging it in?  I know there is a setting in the menu to choose between the 2 and I believe the plug is already there inside the passenger compartment....

36 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I added it to my 06 and liked it.  Much better at keeping a consistent speed.

same experience we had with the Nautic Laugic on our 2011.  I think it took almost 15 minutes to install.  All plug and play.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, wdr said:

Thats better than I thought it would be given 2249 is a higher pitched prop than my 2773 and you are running about 200lbs per side more weight than I am.

hmm.. I run 1100's in rear (i know they don't fill full, but 900 each???) with the 250 sub floor, 650 under coffin on surfside, 500 center, 900 front... run the 2249 as well. Wedge fully deployed, 11.8 mph, 3600 - 3700 rpm.

1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

hmm.. I run 1100's in rear (i know they don't fill full, but 900 each???) with the 250 sub floor, 650 under coffin on surfside, 500 center, 900 front... run the 2249 as well. Wedge fully deployed, 11.8 mph, 3600 - 3700 rpm.

The hull differences on our 2010's is night and day from my 2019. With the 1235, I ran the 1100 like you did on the surfside with NO trouble at 11.2 mph I was seeing maybe 3300rpm with a 750 up front.

You are also running A LOT more weight than I was on my 2010 which would account for the extra 350rpm you are seeing. And you picked up 1/2" of prop with the 2249 over the Malibu supplied (537 0r 1235) prop which helped also.

Edited by wdr
19 hours ago, wdr said:

You are also running A LOT more weight than I was on my 2010 which would account for the extra 350rpm you are seeing. And you picked up 1/2" of prop with the 2249 over the Malibu supplied (537 0r 1235) prop which helped also.

lol mine came with a 1935??? to long ago, then went to 1235 and then I can't remember lol then this one...hmmm I don't think I have the 2249 now lol that was the one after the 1235 now I need to check

3 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

lol mine came with a 1935??? to long ago, then went to 1235 and then I can't remember lol then this one...hmmm I don't think I have the 2249 now lol that was the one after the 1235 now I need to check

Dude, you need to buy stock in ACME! :) I kept my 1235 as a spare for my '19. Its not much help fully loaded, but it did save a trip.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

Dude, you need to buy stock in ACME! :) I kept my 1235 as a spare for my '19. Its not much help fully loaded, but it did save a trip.

LOL... had a rough 3 years... I have my 1935??? but rest were destroyed... I had 4 underwater strikes in 3 years... I went from no claims in over 15 years to one after another :( ... last year no claim :) The boat repair was loving me for a while... (4 props, 4 struts, 3 rudders, 4 times gelcoat repair, 2 wedge replacements, 3 times actuators for wedge).