Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 335 Heater Fittings

Trevor1

Would anyone know what the fitting is on the block for the return heater hose?  I’m converting it from the y-fitting on the raw water intake to a circulation pump and I wanted to move the return line back to the block.  It currently has a plug on the left side of the engine water pump.  Is there any issues using this port for the return line?

1 hour ago, Trevor1 said:

Would anyone know what the fitting is on the block for the return heater hose?  I’m converting it from the y-fitting on the raw water intake to a circulation pump and I wanted to move the return line back to the block.  It currently has a plug on the left side of the engine water pump.  Is there any issues using this port for the return line?

That's where mine is.  I'm thinking it's a 1/2 FPT, so you would need a 1/2 MPT to 5/8 barb. 

@Trevor1 - the purpose of the Y fitting configuration is to improve heat output at idle or low RPM.  It was developed as an engineering fix to low heat at idle comments by improving flow at low circulation pump flow conditions.

11 hours ago, Trevor1 said:

you could run the y snd pump with no problems,  my return fitting was a PITA converting to a Y so ended up cutting hose short and capping with an npt plug and a second clamp 

Edited by granddaddy55
11 hours ago, Trevor1 said:

just curious, why would want to do this?

7 minutes ago, asnowman said:

just curious, why would want to do this?

because pump means heat with engine off,  both would probably only mean more efficient or hot at idle and running and can conveniently be wired to heater switch or breaker for it from maliview   

y is heat running or at idle  and really does make it much hotter during both but loses it fairly quick engine off 

Edited by granddaddy55
32 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

because pump means heat with engine off,  both would probably only mean more efficient or hot at idle and running and can conveniently be wired to heater switch or breaker for it from maliview   

Ahh, missed the part about the circulation pump. My bad

2 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Ahh, missed the part about the circulation pump. My bad

now that i have the Y for two springs  my wife wants the pump now too because we have been going since early february

Edited by granddaddy55

seems like a good idea, though when its cold we seldom shut off the engine, but i was never impressed with heat output at idle.  What pump are you using for this, and is it wired to teh heat switch or a seperate switch? anyone knwo how it affects the heat when running at higher rpm? I think the boredom is setting in, i am clearly considering another project i don't need to do.....

21 minutes ago, asnowman said:

seems like a good idea, though when its cold we seldom shut off the engine, but i was never impressed with heat output at idle.  What pump are you using for this, and is it wired to teh heat switch or a seperate switch? anyone knwo how it affects the heat when running at higher rpm? I think the boredom is setting in, i am clearly considering another project i don't need to do.....

if you want heat at idle just use a y on intake side of raw water moving return from circulation pump to y , gets hot running and super warm at idle

folks have run heatercraft for $159 or same pump off amazon for $10

pump is wired directly to switch or maliview controlled breaker for heat

at speed either option gets almost hot 

y pipe is just $59 and an hour of time 

make sure you don't kink too much the return line when relocating to y

Edited by granddaddy55

I added the y fitting several years ago and it made a big improvement, but often it gets plugged and doesn’t work as well.  It’s a big pain to clean out the small orifice. I figured a pump would solve this problem, and possibly get heat for a bit with the engine off.

3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

so you don’t have a  heat exchanger ?

I do have a heat exchanger.  The raw water pump moves the intake water through the exchanger and then out to the manifolds. 

The other side of the heat exchanger, the engine, and the heater core are filled with automotive antifreeze.  If I want heat after I turn the engine off, I need a pump.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, Charlotte2 said:

Hello. do you have a picture of your mintage of the inlet and outlet pipes please? I have to plug in mine in a while .. thanks in advance

what exactly are you asking, installed pictures of both or which one?

Just now, granddaddy55 said:

que demandez-vous exactement, des images installées des deux ou laquelle?

yes please know where to connect inlet and outlet water pipe to the engine block? thank you

the to heater is in top of manifold, the return on side of water pump housing just beneath thermostat that i had to plug (couldnt get barb out to cap), the other picture is of y installed with heater return routed to it

3D6F4EB9-EDB7-42E2-B7CA-802BD0C28C84.jpeg

3C76F0C1-0BD4-4E2A-9C3F-DF4164F54906.jpeg

E44B5050-8437-43D5-8F3A-5FC46C015A4D.jpeg

40 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

le réchauffeur est en haut du collecteur, le retour sur le côté du boîtier de la pompe à eau juste sous le thermostat que je devais brancher (impossible de faire sortir le barbillon au capuchon), l'autre photo est installée avec le retour du réchauffeur acheminé

OK. thank you !! 

18 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

le réchauffeur est en haut du collecteur, le retour sur le côté du boîtier de la pompe à eau juste sous le thermostat que je devais brancher (impossible de faire sortir le barbillon au capuchon), l'autre photo est installée avec le retour du réchauffeur acheminé

excuse me again ... when the engine is stopped and the electric water circulation pump is working, will it suck in a vacuum at the level of the cylinder head, high engine output?

the water cooling areas of the motor have nothing to do with the internal combustion of the engine unless there is a gasket leak, so it will circulate the raw water already in the motor that is hot

@Charlotte2 - If you are referring to the water side only, no on a vacuum although it depends on how the system is plumbed whether it will simply drain down the water out of the block.  If the return is after the raw water pump the answer is no, if before the raw water pump it will.  Are you able to translate the English, my writing French may be a little rusty.  Where in France? I grew up in Geneva.  A French 'baguette avec jambon & fromage' would be delicious about now...

Il y a 5 heures, Woodski a déclaré:

@ Charlotte2 - Si vous faites référence uniquement au côté eau, non sur le vide, bien que cela dépend de la façon dont le système est raccordé s'il va simplement drainer l'eau hors du bloc. Si le retour se fait après la pompe à eau brute, la réponse est non, si avant la pompe à eau brute, il le fera. Êtes-vous capable de traduire l'anglais, mon écriture en français est peut-être un peu rouillée. Où en France? J'ai grandi à Genève. Une baguette française avec jambon et fromage serait délicieuse maintenant ...