Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trevor1

Monsoon 335 Heater Fittings

Trevor1

Would anyone know what the fitting is on the block for the return heater hose?  I’m converting it from the y-fitting on the raw water intake to a circulation pump and I wanted to move the return line back to the block.  It currently has a plug on the left side of the engine water pump.  Is there any issues using this port for the return line?

justgary
1 hour ago, Trevor1 said:

Would anyone know what the fitting is on the block for the return heater hose?  I’m converting it from the y-fitting on the raw water intake to a circulation pump and I wanted to move the return line back to the block.  It currently has a plug on the left side of the engine water pump.  Is there any issues using this port for the return line?

That's where mine is.  I'm thinking it's a 1/2 FPT, so you would need a 1/2 MPT to 5/8 barb. 

Woodski

@Trevor1 - the purpose of the Y fitting configuration is to improve heat output at idle or low RPM.  It was developed as an engineering fix to low heat at idle comments by improving flow at low circulation pump flow conditions.

granddaddy55
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Trevor1 said:

you could run the y snd pump with no problems,  my return fitting was a PITA converting to a Y so ended up cutting hose short and capping with an npt plug and a second clamp 

Edited by granddaddy55

asnowman
11 hours ago, Trevor1 said:

just curious, why would want to do this?

granddaddy55
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, asnowman said:

because pump means heat with engine off,  both would probably only mean more efficient or hot at idle and running and can conveniently be wired to heater switch or breaker for it from maliview   

y is heat running or at idle  and really does make it much hotter during both but loses it fairly quick engine off 

Edited by granddaddy55

asnowman
32 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

because pump means heat with engine off,  both would probably only mean more efficient or hot at idle and running and can conveniently be wired to heater switch or breaker for it from maliview   

Ahh, missed the part about the circulation pump. My bad

granddaddy55
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Ahh, missed the part about the circulation pump. My bad

now that i have the Y for two springs  my wife wants the pump now too because we have been going since early february

Edited by granddaddy55

asnowman

seems like a good idea, though when its cold we seldom shut off the engine, but i was never impressed with heat output at idle.  What pump are you using for this, and is it wired to teh heat switch or a seperate switch? anyone knwo how it affects the heat when running at higher rpm? I think the boredom is setting in, i am clearly considering another project i don't need to do.....

justgary
52 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Or in my case, I had no choice since I have closed cooling. 

UWSkier

That left side opening is where it goes. Around the 8 o'clock position if looking at pump. 

granddaddy55
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, asnowman said:

seems like a good idea, though when its cold we seldom shut off the engine, but i was never impressed with heat output at idle.  What pump are you using for this, and is it wired to teh heat switch or a seperate switch? anyone knwo how it affects the heat when running at higher rpm? I think the boredom is setting in, i am clearly considering another project i don't need to do.....

if you want heat at idle just use a y on intake side of raw water moving return from circulation pump to y , gets hot running and super warm at idle

folks have run heatercraft for $159 or same pump off amazon for $10

pump is wired directly to switch or maliview controlled breaker for heat

at speed either option gets almost hot 

y pipe is just $59 and an hour of time 

make sure you don't kink too much the return line when relocating to y

Edited by granddaddy55

granddaddy55
17 minutes ago, justgary said:

Or in my case, I had no choice since I have closed cooling. 

so you don’t have a  heat exchanger ?

Trevor1

I added the y fitting several years ago and it made a big improvement, but often it gets plugged and doesn’t work as well.  It’s a big pain to clean out the small orifice. I figured a pump would solve this problem, and possibly get heat for a bit with the engine off.

justgary
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

so you don’t have a  heat exchanger ?

I do have a heat exchanger.  The raw water pump moves the intake water through the exchanger and then out to the manifolds. 

The other side of the heat exchanger, the engine, and the heater core are filled with automotive antifreeze.  If I want heat after I turn the engine off, I need a pump.